Action shoots

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by NGIB, Feb 24, 2011.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

A friend of silentghost and I is the range manager at one of the nicest indoor ranges in Savannah (or anywhere really). Recently he has started an event called "action shooting" which can be best described as a form of IDPA without the 2 inch thick rulebook. I'll be in town this weekend so I may head up there to check this out. I haven't really practiced drawing & firing in a long time so I hope I don't shoot myself in the leg...

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Best of luck to you. Would you be posting pics?

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That sounds good. Keep us in the loop.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Only if they're not embarrassing...:rolleyes:

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

No pix from tonight but SG and I went up to our buddies range for the shoot. This is lots of fun folks as it's like IDPA only without the thick rulebook. He had three different stages setup which included various draw, shoot & move tactics. I had lots of fun and will be doing this again. I shot the new little Colt tonight and it performed perfectly except for one moment of operator error.

We had to shoot thru a hole in a piece of cardboard and I had the gun a bit to far forward and when it recoiled a piece of cardboard got caught between the barrel and the bushing. Didn't really test the accuracy but I believe I was hitting pretty well...

6. Car54

Car54 New Member

Glad you had a good time NGIB. Anytime you impart action into shooting, it's always more challenging and fun.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

If I'm in town this weekend, I'll probably be heading up that way again. It was a ton of fun the first time and the range (and range master) are second to none IMHO. I really need some work with my Sigs, especially the transition from DA to SA so I'll shoot my P229 .40 this time out. Have a ton of .40 ammo so I need to burn some up...

8. Car54

Car54 New Member

First, what are you doing up so early?

Second, have fun.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm generally up before 0400 as old people don't sleep. By the time I posted that entry, I'd already watched the Top Shot episode I DVR'd last night (cool 1911 stuff)...

10. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Not a bad show last night. I do miss my race guns though..

Jim........

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Just got back from tonight's shoot and it was again a great deal of fun. Lots of moving & shooting and reloads on the move tonight. The most difficult part from tonight was hitting 3 small 6" circles on a target while advancing towards it. We started at 55 feet and had to keep advancing on the target until you got at least 1 round in each circle - sounds simple but it is not. We also did one no light scenario where we had to engage 3 different targets using a flashlight and this one also required a reload between targets 2 and 3.

Shot my P229 in .40 tonight as I wanted to get some practice on the transition from the first DA shot to the remaining SA shots. Surprisingly, none of my initial DA shots were wasted and I didn't do bad overall - need more practice with this for sure though. After the match, I ran 3 mags through the new Sig 1911 and it is a very smooth gun for sure...

12. silentghost

silentghost New Member

I always miss out on the good shoots. Wish I could have stayed, but hey good news is, you didn't have to stop and pick me up off the side of the road :)

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

14. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

A quick tip about the advancing and shooting. The best stance to use while advancing forward and firing is to bend your knees more than a usual stance and when you are advancing forward to make sure you walk with the toes of both feet facing outward. Now this feels extremely weird at first but trust me with a little practice, walking this way reduces the bobbing up and down versus walking regular. After awhile it feels almost as if you are in a chair that is rolling forward. When you first start as well make sure that you aren't trying to aim with your sights while shooting, this is far too difficult. Depending on the distance of the target you will have to practice point shooting or any variation of it. I have an action shoot tomorrow and will post a video of it. Depending on how much time I have I will try and post a video of moving and shooting later to show you what I mean. Hope this helps.

15. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

You guys would start up the fun shoots after I left. :(

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Matt runs these every other Saturday. The next is the 26th of March - if you're ever coming through the area perhaps the schedule will work for you...

17. Anch368

Anch368 New Member

hey all just posting the three stages we had from the last action shoot I shot at. The indoor stages aren't anywhere near as good as outdoor but thanks to good old upstates New York we won't be outside for a month or so. Enjoy! [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRyckAqxTX8]YouTube - Action Shooting WRPC[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2oCjJlWYu4]YouTube - Action Shooting Stage 2 at WRPC[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGdn9YjpkAg]YouTube - Action Shoot Part 3 WRPC[/ame]

18. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Oh I'll take you up on it alright. I wish I could get in with some here. Problem is there is only 1 (as in ONE, UNO, eins, adin, Oden) indoor range within..ohhh...200+ miles of me. And the guy that owns it is a moron, jerk and way over prices. The only outdoor range that does it is a gun club. They are out of my price range to join, but the range is nice and they do a lot of competitions.

If I had the money, I would open a gun store and Indoor range. I guarantee I could have the initial investment paid back within a year off of the indoor range alone. I would stake everything I own on it.