Acorn?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by GunGal, May 24, 2011.

1. GunGal

GunGal New Member

I have heard that Acorns are edible but only if prepared correctly. Any suggestions?

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

You need to boil them a couple times otherwise they are bitter.

3. fireguy

fireguy New Member

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

They are good for controlling one's blood sugar.

5. Davo45

Davo45 New Member

The boy in My Side of the Mountain (can't remember his name) ate some pancakes made with acorn flour and maple syrup....said he didn't much care for the acorn flour.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Edible with several boilings to reduce tannin content. Best way is by running them thru a few squirrels first, and then make Brunswick Stew with the squirrels. Also works with running them thru a deer- but you need a much bigger pot.

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

First thing is to know which oaks have the least tannic acorns in your area. Emory oak can be eaten without processing from what I understand, but they don't grow areound here. Generally, the best acorns to harvest are those of the white oaks, as they contain less bitter tannin. The black oaks are the worst and require the most processing.

Regardless of that you soak the acorns (after shelling) in clean clear water for 24 hours. The water will turn black. Rinse and change the water. Repeat until the water is more or less not black/grey after 24 hours of soaking. The lower the tannins the sooner they will turn out "clean". Dry thoroughly and pound into a flour. It can be quite good if prepared properly!

I have heard that putting them in a mesh sack in your toilet tank will work very well as every time you flush the water gets changed. In theory I suppose that would work very well, but personally I am not going to try it (plus, it makes the water in the bowl black. The wife may not approve!).

8. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Oh yeah, to shell acorns you just cut the whole nut in half lengthwise and remove the shell. This makes them process more quickly as well.

9. Mossyoakman3006

Mossyoakman3006 New Member

Wonder if you could eat them without getting the tannins out, say in a survival situation say if you where starving???

10. fireguy

fireguy New Member

If you eat a variety with a higher tannin concentration you run a risk of wrecking your digestive system, it can cause your body to lose its ability to digest proteins. I don't know oak trees well enough to identify one from the other. Without absolute knowledge of the source you could be setting yourself up for losing in the survival situation. I would either do the boil method or cold soak for all acorns used for food.

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A good way to prepare for an emergency survival scenario is to learn this sort of thing. Learn what plants are edible, what precautions need to be taken before eating them, that sort of thing.

Another way to leach out tannins from acorns is to put them in a sack, burlap works, anything that will allow water to flow freely through it (after shelling of course) and leave them in a running stream for a week or so. The length of time and results will vary depending on the acorns, the water temperature and flow rate, etc. etc.., the problem with this method is you don't know when they are "done" leaching because you can't monitor the color of the waste water.

12. fireguy

fireguy New Member

A good way for me to prepare for using acorns is to know how to leach the tannins out. We have so few oaks around me that it isn't practical for me to clog my limited brain space with six types of oak trees when I won't run across them very often. I'm happy with what I'm learning and have learned.
    If I were near forests of those types of trees I would probably already have that dialed in, but it isn't in my top tier of food sources for where I intend to be.

13. GunGal

GunGal New Member

I have learn how much I don't know...

Lots of great advice! Did not realize I didn't know so much about it! Sounds like feeding them to the squirrel and then eating the squirrel would be the best use of energy in a survival situation.

Do I leave the acorns whole after the shell removed or crush before washing?

Any bread recipes?

14. BlindOldMan

BlindOldMan New Member

Heh... that gave me a chuckle..