acog or acog or other option i havent considered??

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by JonM, May 1, 2012.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

planning out an "ohsht here it comes!!" ar15. there are two acogs im interested in the ta31f with green chevron and the m150rco with green as well. difference is 200$ in price more for the 150. i cant tell the real difference between the two and decide if 200$ more for the 150 is worth it.

i cant find any contrast and compair features to make an educated decision.

oh, its going on either a bcm 16" midlength a4 lightweight or an rra in a similar config. difference between em is the 1/9 twist rra or a bit better gun but with 1/7 from bcm.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Have you price shopped eBay?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

my trust for ebay items over about 25$ is pretty non-existant :) im getting it new since it is tritium based i want a longer lifespan before having to have the lamp replaced. mainly i dont want to worry about fakes. ive got a bad enough track record with new items failing on me...

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I have two of the TA31F units. no complaints. I have the red chevrons (personal preference) but whatever color you prefer will serve you well.

The only complaint I have about the ACOG is that after using them, everything else just seems so cheap and cheesy!:D

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I have a friend with an ACOG and it's freaking awesome! I would get one if I could afford to. My question is why green over red? I just feel that the human brain perceives red as danger and that might help with target acquisition. Red tends to stand out while green is a more common color in nature and clothing.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got a red/green dot vortex aimpoint clone and the green shows up a lot better to me on all outdoor backgrounds. surprises me that its easier for me to pick out against a green grass/tree/bush than red is.

just hoping someone in the current military is using a m150 rco in rl or someone owns one personally.

i actually got to handle the ta31f red at gander mountain its about a sweet scope as ive ever seen.

im just wondering what the 200$ difference is trijicon's website has the same stats for both

7. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Do you have the SPARC? I was looking at those the other night. If that is what you have what don't you like about it?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got the sparc and strikefire. i use the sparc on my ruger 22/45 and on my sw mp15-22 i use the strike fire on my 458socom.

nothing wrong withem they are both very rugged. highly recomend them. they can both take a huge amount of punishment from big bore rounds.

but i want an acog :) it doesnt use batteries and has night and day illumination and bdc. its just a much better "oh sht!!" optic

main diffs tween the sparc and strikefire is the dot on the strikefire is 4moa sparc 2moa, different battery types, sparc is much smaller and lighter, strikefire has red and green dot options with no poi shift when changing colors

9. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

I was looking at the TA11H in red and almost bought it but also looked the Burris AR 332 and it was quite a bit cheaper and does what I want. Also it flips from red to green to a standard black, only down size it takes batteries

10. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Thanks, Jon.
    I was hoping I wasn't wanting to get another POS that I would end up not liking.

11. PowerViolence

PowerViolence New Member

I think it has something to do with the fact that you can see Green dots in a lot lower light than red.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  12. JonM

JonM Moderator

vortex are very good they come with a lifetime of the product no bs warranty regardless of whether you bought it new or used or never sent the warranty card. if you break it or it breaks they fix or replace for free. they are based in wisconsin and service their products in house.

just dont expect it to be as good as an aimpoint its not. but for the price point its he best. i havent been able to get the poi to shift. i took the vortex off my rifle tossed it in the bed of the truck let it bounce around in there all day. ended up at the range put it back on and it was still zeroed.

havent tried abusing the sparc. both come with co-witness and lower 1/3 cowitness mounts if you get the package with mounting system.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

ended up ordering a acog TA31FG the one with the green reticle. alsso ordered a qd mount from larue. acog should be here friday maybe thursday.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You lucky... I'm sure you'll be very pleased. Congrats

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations. But be aware that you have now been seduced by the Dark Side, and from now on, nothing else will quite measure up!:p

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

heh, ive got lots of different optics for different needs. i know they are superb so is my niteforce nxs and leupold mk4. ive also got optics from ww2 while not great with the glass have been proven in the crucible of a world war:) i do like the acogs ive looked at em in stores never used one

17. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I don't know if the twist will matter, but I have a TA31H (same, just a diff reticle) and the hold over "hash marks" of the reticle are calibrated for a 62gr 5.56

If you plan on shooting the lighter ammo, it won't be dead on. The main part of the reticle will be, but not the BDC.

Just something to consider.

Edit to add:

Also, I think the main difference between the TA31F and the 150RCO is the RCO has the tennabrex ARD, with the flip up caps. I don't know why it would make it $200 more though, I added it to mine and it was only about $65 total.

It's the only way to get lens caps on an ACOG, so it was worth every penny. I usually remove it once I'm at the range.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  18. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

The stated advantage of green over red is visibility in very bright sunlight.

I can't imagine it would be better than red, but thats the claim.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

thanks im well aware of bullet weight/velocity issues with a bdc. since i reload i can duplicate military loadings. the difference in impact is good enough at any range inside 600m to get minute of goblin with any loading. thats what im looking for.

i couldnt find any reson other than windage marks and an ard to justify an extra 200$

red is harder to see against a green background and in very low light than green is. ill take some pics later of the strikefire and its red/green against various backgrounds