ACLU

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Mercator, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Mercator

Mercator Well-Known Member

“NO ONE should be executed for a mistake they made as a juvenile”

From the ACLU statement

(The “juvenile” was 19 when he made “a mistake. Below is the description)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Thursday, September 24, 2020
    Statement by Department of Justice Spokesperson Kerri Kupec on the Execution of Christopher Andre Vialva
    Department of Justice Spokesperson Kerri Kupec has issued the following statement:

“Today, Christopher Andre Vialva was executed at U.S. Penitentiary Terre Haute in accordance with the capital sentences recommended by a federal jury and imposed by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas in 2000. Vialva was pronounced dead at 6:46 p.m. EDT.

In June 1999, Todd and Stacie Bagley — youth ministers from Iowa who had traveled to Texas to attend a church revival — agreed to give a ride to Vialva and several others. Once in the car, Vialva pointed a gun at Todd, and he and the others forced the couple into the trunk. Vialva drove around for several hours, stopping at ATMs to withdraw money from the couple’s bank account and trying to pawn Stacie’s wedding ring. While locked in the trunk, the couple spoke with their abductors about God and pleaded for their lives. Vialva eventually parked on the Fort Hood military reservation, where the co-conspirators doused the car with lighter fluid as the couple, still locked in the trunk, sang and prayed. After Stacie said, “Jesus loves you,” and “Jesus, take care of us,” Vialva shot both Todd and Stacie in the head — killing Todd and knocking Stacie unconscious. A co-conspirator then lit the car on fire, killing Stacie. A federal jury found Vialva guilty of, among other offenses, two counts of murder within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States and unanimously recommended two death sentences, which the court imposed. His convictions and sentences were affirmed on appeal, and his requests for collateral relief were rejected by every court that considered them.

More than two decades after Christopher Andre Vialva brutally ended the lives of Todd and Stacie Bagley, justice has been served. Several family members and loved ones of the Bagleys witnessed today’s execution.”

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    alsaqr, Ghost1958, ellis36 and 2 others like this.
  2. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

He deserved a slower agonizing death

bluez, Mercator and Oldoutlaw like this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

“Though the mills of God grind slowly, yet they grind exceeding small; Though with patience He stands waiting, with exactness grinds He all.”

― Henry Wadsworth Longellow

alsaqr, ellis36, Mercator and 2 others like this.
  4. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

And a quicker execution.

5. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Damn right. And the others who helped him. Here in Iowa, well, he may very well have died slow for that back then.

ellis36, Mercator and Rifling82 like this.
  6. Mercator

By NBC News.

A Black man was executed by the federal government Thursday for a crime he committed at age 19, even though his attorney said prosecutors used inflammatory racial stereotypes during the trial 20 years ago to land her client on death row.

(That there proves he deserved to live)

Vialva was sentenced to death in the 1999 killing in Texas of Todd and Stacie Bagley, a white couple who were youth ministers. There were 11 white jurors and one Black juror in the 2000 federal trial, said Vialva's attorney, Susan Otto.

(That must be it. Who else would convict the poor soul)

Prosecutors portrayed Vialva "as if he were the leader of a violent and well-organized street gang," Otto said.

"Of course, in the year 2000, the theme of the super predator, that there were these kids that just marauded through our communities wreaking havoc, was a very powerful and very convincing narrative," she said.

(Of course, madam)

Otto said there was no evidence that Vialva was a leader or a real member of the so-called 212 PIRU Bloods gang. She said that he and his friends encountered the couple after Vialva was kicked out of his mother's home and that, having nowhere to go, the group made a plan to rob someone.

"I think it had a very strong impact on the jury's decision to conclude that Christopher was a mad dog that needed to be put down," she said. "I think, as time has proven, nothing could be further from the truth."

(Total disregard for the young couple he tortured and murdered. What a piece. Even for a scumbag defense lawyer)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    bluez, Oldoutlaw, Ghost1958 and 2 others like this.
  7. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

The thirst for vengeance occasionally makes me want to inflict a slow painful death on creeps of this ilk, but I am a civilized man.
    Hang em or shoot em behind the ear.
    Let's not be as bad as them.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

That is just not right.

It took TWENTY YEARS to carry out the sentence of a court- as decided by 12 jurors???

Yeah- I know- he was just getting his life turned around. He planned to enroll in the community college.

bluez, Oldoutlaw, ellis36 and 2 others like this.
  9. Mercator

“Executed for a mistake made when he was a juvenile”

Breathtaking cynicism wrapped in the righteous indignation. The calculation is that most people won’t care to look up what he actually did. Probably correct.

And an outright lie. The age of juvenility ends at 18. And who pretends to not know that. A lawyer org.

Thank you for allowing me to spew hatred for them all.

Oldoutlaw and alsaqr like this.
  10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

According to my understanding to God the age of accountability is supposedly 12 YOA. So if an evil person who knows right from wrong commits' heinous crimes including murder that applies. As there is no thought in even a child 5 or 6 year old knows killing is killing. If one does not believe it, I recall when I shot the first Rabbit in front of my Son who was 5 at the time. He cried! He is in his 50s today, loves to shoot, loves guns, but will not hunt! That is his choice I have no issues with it. So IMO I do not buy that poor youth theory of 14-16 and up not knowing killing a person is wrong!
    So for Vialva Justice Served! And good for the Department of Justice! But 20 years of appeals is entirely too long without a doubt, when it comes to the Death Penalty sentence! When it is confirmed, IMO with out any doubt one year of appeals "Only" Then !!!!!!!;) With the advancement of DNA, science, cameras and surveillance systems used to confirm guilt in the investigations,. Things are not like they use to be! Were on rare occasions an innocent person was put to death for something they did not do! One is too many, but very rare even in the past.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    Oldoutlaw and Rifling82 like this.
  11. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i can't understand why murdering scumbags are allowed to waste air for many years while appealing executions.

1. Make damn sure the perp is guilty.

2. Allow one appeal.

3. Execute.

For many years i lived under sharia law. Sharia law has some very good points, speedy execution being one. Two Jordanian dope peddlers crossed into Saudi Arabia and were chased by the interior ministry police. One of the Jordanians killed a police captain with an AK-47 just before noon on Wednesday. The perps became two piece Jordanians after noon prayer call on Friday.