Accurizing the Mini-14...the ONLY THING NEEDED

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by Kilibreaux, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

NOT that it's ON TOPIC, but it seems to me that Ruger had PLENTY OF CHANCES,
    to do right by the gun, BEFORE it left the factory:
    1. The assembler could have checked to be sure the sight wasn't canted.
    2. They could have TEST FIRED the rifle, for accuracy, the fact THEY DIDN'T
    is obvious to the most casual observer.
    3. IF they had a QC check, they also would have caught this obvious problem.

INSTEAD, Ruger was in a flying rush to throw the rifle out the door. HOW,
    exactly, is the manner in which they treated the rifle, in the first place, supposed
    to inspire me to trust them with it, as a return?

G66enigma likes this.
  2. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i agree 100%. ruger has been "hit and miss" on QC over the years, your mini should have never left the door like that.....

bit IT DID. and it happens in virtually every company that manufacturers anything. and ruger CS is generally considered outstanding in the gun community.

mossberg and henry BOTH took care of me when i had problems (hell, my mossberg would not even function out of the box). was i a bit ticked off about the inconvenience? sure, but on the other hand....both companies took care of me, and backed their product 100%. both firearms are in fine working order now, and i am a repeat customer for both companies.

but...if you want to complain to FTF mini forum, rather than to the company that sold you the rifle....that is your prerogative....just don't expect people to understand any logic in that approach.

good luck with your sights and your future endeavors with this rifle.

BTW-i hope, and feel, that this is perfectly "on topic"...as the issue it seems, is your mini 14's "inaccuracy." as it turns out, canted sights will certainly effect any gun's practical "accuracy." and ANY attempt to increase accuracy on such a rifle will surly fail, if the sights or optics are not in proper order.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    sandog and Dallas53 like this.

3. Danoobie

NO, the topic was "THE ONLY THING NEEDED to accurize your mini-14". I think it's
    been VERY CLEARLY established that a dab of RTV on the inside of the bolt, as the
    OP so glibly claimed, ain't cutting it.

Yanno, Ruger COULD have handled the QC with these rifles very differently,
    already having the clear inherent advantage of the lower iron sight mounts to the barrel
    over ARs. Not to mention a built-in customer-base which loves the Garand design.
    But they chose to piss it away on whippy barrels, canted sights, iffy gas blocks,
    and crappy quality control, in general.

Because, sorry, a sad fact of life is that the Mini-14 and the AR15 are the two major
    platforms which fire 223/556 in semi-auto. This mere fact is going to invite comparison of the two designs, like it or not.

4. hawkguy

IF you read my initial responses to the original topic, you might see that i was quite skeptical of this approach as "the only thing needed" to improve accuracy of the mini as well.

but the big bridge WE can't seem to cross is....HOW is a rifle supposed to be "accurate" when....as you proclaimed....the sights you are using are flawed. wouldn't you agree NO ATTEMPT to improve accuracy will matter if your sights or optics have problems? you have called the mini inaccurate, when the fix has nothing to do with the function of the rifle.

you are upset about buying an accu-strut to fix canted sights? i know you understand struts, gas bushings, or buffers would have no effect whatsoever in correcting that probelm. that's like buying those items and hoping they will fix a broken scope? and imo, you should have never paid to fix a new product that was flawed.

as said, EVERY company will have some issues with production. here is my thread on mossberg's CS. i was argry too that i got a brand new firearm out-of-the-box that was malfunctioning to the point it was inoperable. but i sent it to them, and they fixed with no questions asked.

https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads/mossberg-customer-service-well-done.124041/

instead of bash them for QC w/o giving them a chance to right it, i actually ended up applauding their CS and product backing. customer service in the gun industry imo is WAY above and beyond any other manufactered products.

[QUOTE="Yanno, Ruger COULD have handled the QC with these rifles very differently,
    already having the clear inherent advantage of the lower iron sight mounts to the barrel
    over ARs. Not to mention a built-in customer-base which loves the Garand design.
    But they chose to piss it away on whippy barrels, canted sights, iffy gas blocks,
    and crappy quality control, in general.[/QUOTE]

ok...the root of the problem. you are pissed. i think you have every right to be. call ruger and tell them what you are saying here. demand the gun fixed or replaced....or demand your money back. all i am saying, and will say again....is i have dealt with ruger CS on 2 minor issues and i give them 2 thumbs up in each instance. they never argued and handled both issues 100% on their cost.

[QUOTE="Because, sorry, a sad fact of life is that the Mini-14 and the AR15 are the two major
    platforms which fire 223/556 in semi-auto. This mere fact is going to invite comparison of the two designs, like it or not.[/QUOTE]

agree to disagree, but this is also off original topic. so lets stick to your problems with your mini.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    G66enigma, Dallas53 and JTJ like this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Ruger replaced a revolver for me because the rear sight was not properly milled. It happens. They paid shipping both ways. If you are afraid to deal with Ruger CS dont ever buy a Taurus.

hawkguy and RJF22553 like this.
  6. Danoobie

Oh, I get it, hawkguy, you didn't read post #138, where I think I clearly stated
    "I finally got my mini zeroed." That means I got the sights fixed. The sights are
    now functioning. I know, for some reason, you don't WANT them to, but they do
    work, now.

I never said there was a problem with Ruger Customer Service. I have mentioned
    QUALITY CONTROL, a few times. Or perhaps, in the case of Minis, the total lack of it.

Now, I'm a little lost here, are you saying that the AR15, and the Mini-14
    AREN'T the major two designs in semi-auto which use 223/556? Or that
    people aren't going to compare them, because of this?

As to "don't ever buy a Taurus", the reason I bought the Mini, used, in the first
    place, was precisely because I trusted Ruger WASN'T like Taurus.

7. hawkguy

danoobie, if your point is: the OP's accuracy "fix" for the mini is questionable, then we agree.

if your point is: ruger QC is "hit and miss," we agree again....although in owning 2 minis, i haven't been effected personally.

i am glad you fixed your sights, but you're missing my point.

but in post #138, you have a laundry list of the cost of mods you made to "fix" your mini. seems to me, you should have never paid to fix the sights, so that is irrelevant...ruger would have fixed it for you free of charge.

as for the other mods, it seems, based on the posting...you made these mods before you completely inspected the rifle (it seems you discovered the canted sights after). from what you have explained, the vast majority of your problem was basically a mini lemon, incorrectly manufactured.

i hope you get your mini shooting right. it just seems you are taking the path of most resistance, then lashing out about that.

what you have done is basically like fixing a car under warranty with your own money, and then complaining about what you spent fixing a car under warranty! that is a difficult logic to understand for most people.

Dallas53 likes this.
  8. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

did you even attempt to contact Ruger about the issue in any way? from your posts, i'm gathering you didn't.

the point if this thread isn't about comparing the Mini 14 with the AR's. if you wish to do that comparison, between good and bad and preferences, then by all means start a thread in doing so. i'm sure plenty will participate.

and every manufacturer of any mass produced item will have some QC issues. it's going to happen, and that's just real life. that is why a reputable company will have a great warranty and deal with the ones that slipped through the cracks. most people have accepted this as fact of life and living in the modern age. most people are also smart enough to try and let the manufacturer fix the problem, before complaining about it ad nauseam to no end.

hawkguy likes this.
  9. Danoobie

Missed the party where when you buy a Ruger used there's a warranty.

10. hawkguy

its fine to compare the AR and mini, what i said was....its off topic for this thread. and in addition....99% of AR vs mini threads go south quickly and cover nothing that hasn't been covered before.

this is the first that i read about your mini being used, i misunderstood that. my mistake.

so..how is your mini shooting with corrected sights?

jrmoore7138, sandog and Dallas53 like this.
  11. Dallas53

so you bought a used Ruger, and you are blaming Ruger? i wonder why the seller was selling it to begin with?

and i have read several times on other forums where people bought a used Ruger, and Ruger stepped up and fixed the problem, at their expense. but i doubt you ever contacted them, did you? the worst answer you could have gotten was no, and you would have been no worse off than you are now.

RJF22553 and hawkguy like this.
  12. hawkguy

it was my misunderstanding on the "new." i was trying to remember what made me think this mini was new and i came across this in Danoobie's post (#46).

Danoobie-"If you disagree, put your money where your mouth is. PM me, and you can buy
    MY 14 at full retail value
    , if you think they are so great."

i guess danoobie was exaggerating, and i took it literally. but it is fair to think that someone asking full retail value, paid full retail value. again, lost in translation.

used is used. sometimes you get burned. most companies still service and often still back used firearms...as dallas said....wouldn't hurt to ask.

but it is fixed, so that is in the past.

danoobie, what are your groups looking like with the repaired sight? have you scoped your mini yet? what ammo are you testing?

Dallas53 likes this.
  13. Danoobie

The whole purpose of the rifle is pest control with iron sights, once again one of the clear
    advantages of the Mini design is the sights are closer to the barrel, for accurate shots at
    different ranges. With the flush 5-shot mag, there's no box protruding from the bottom of the stock. Groups at 50 yards are dead-on the bulls-eye, @2MOA, but
    I'm not the best target shooter, somebody better could probably shoot it to tighter groups. Ammo is just run of the mill 5.56. Right now
    I'm working my way thru 1000 rounds of PMC X-TAC 55gr. FMJ-BT.

hawkguy likes this.
  14. hawkguy

alright, now we're talking! glad it seems to be sorted out. run of the mill 5.56 is not likely to do much better in the mini with iron sights, i'd say you are on target now. in fact, if you are shooting @ 50 yards 1" (2moa) or even @ 2" (4moa)...these are good groups for irons at 50 imo. this is in the threshold of an "average mini."

once you feel comfortable, try some match hollow and soft points in various weights. hornady v-max shines in my mini, but it is expensive stuff. surprisingly, remington umc groups decently in my mini. milspec, federal bulk, and cheap commie stuff doesn't fair so well...but your mini may have different results. you will shave some accuracy with the best ammo match.

if you get the chance, test your barrel good and heated up with 30-40 quick rounds, and see if that strut is helping to control heat. that was the best thing about my strut when i got it....little, if any, walking when the barrel was scolding. if your purpose is hunting, obviously your interest is more in cold bore accuracy.

despite any differences, i am happy your mini has improved. i'm not sure if it is up the level you want, but improvement is always good, and i'd say you are at a great starting point.

sandog likes this.
  15. Danoobie

Oh, I can't think of ANYBODY here, who goes on and on about things, post after post,
    for paragraphs on end. Such a pedantic, self-righteous person might actually think
    people care about his opinion.

16. Dallas53

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!:p

you missed your calling at being a comedian! :D

17. Danoobie

Oh, is THAT what Comedians all have, a creepy thread-post stalker, who follows
    every last thread you're in, and has a negative comment to say about each post
    you make?

18. PGM

PGM Member

I don’t know if anyone still cares but I recently dug my mini 14 bullpup out and put it back to normal,what I found out from the Ruger forum was some use a device called the accu strut LT $119 for my 1980 model I am waiting to see if it’s as bad as I remembered before I get it

RJF22553 likes this.
  19. mrm14

mrm14 Well-Known Member

580 series Mini here. Trigger job and trigger stop worked wonders for it. Factory stock trigger pull was too much. Mini 14 Trigger Stop.jpg

20. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

PGM, some of us do!

I toyed with one on a 181GB model, born in 1977. I violated one of the most basic rules of not doing a formal "before" shooting on paper. My 181GB - which I've had since early 1980 - never shot paper: just pop-up silhouette targets at both German and U.S. firing ranges, out to 300m using NATO ammo. It never failed to impress, but MOA wasn't as important to me as taking down the pop-up targets, for which it was 100%.

If possible, chopping the barrel to 16.5" with a good crown job will make a world of difference without adding an Accustrut. Accustruts are also a bit more these days.

Choosing the right weight bullet also helps. It all has to do with harmonics...

Short of bedding, a "credit card bedding" is inexpensive, simple to do, and may work wonders.

I never intended for my Mini-14 to be a target gun, but rather a handy carbine effective out to 300m against man-sized targets. Should I want to kill humanely a critter such as a rabbid 'yote or fox at distance, I'll use a bolt gun with a 3-9X40 scope well zeroed.

Manage your expectations, check what ammo works best for your twist-rate, and then decide. I must say, the Accustrut is a fine piece of kit if you need it. Turned out my 181GB didn't need it (plus, I'd need to give up the "B" part (bayonet)): at 50m, the holes were about 1.5-2" without the strut, on a crappy (and loose) bi-pod, using a red-dot on a loose mount, into the sun (which made the red-dot close to 4 MOA all by itself) when I actually did measure things. Plus, there was an impatient shooter (me). I'd be a very crappy sniper.

Hope this rambling helps, if for no other reason some entertainment and experience to tuck into the back of a used drawer somewhere in your attic for your heirs to go through...