Accurizing my Rem 597

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Gojubrian, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'm going to accurize my hunting .22 before next season. It has a good trigger for an out of the box sub $200 rifle already, but I would like to shoot tighter groups and be on target at longer range without spending more than the rifle is worth.

I have done some reading and here's my plan thus far. It is a stock remington 597 with a synthetic camoflage stock to begin with.

1. Replace the hammer with the volquartzen hammer $45
    2. Replace the extractor with VQ extractor. $20
    3. Shoot only premium ammo (cci mini mags or better)
    4. ????

Will this help? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

2. kansas45

kansas45 Member

You bet it will! I did that stuff to my 597 along with a little polishing on the bolt rails (remember to only tighten the rails finger tight)& trigger groupe. I have found mine to like that Winchester 333 ammo the best. It seems that .22's are a little touchey in their choice of ammo. I only picked up on the .22 shooting again a few years ago. When I was younger, my Remmy 522 Speedmaster would shoot anything I fed it with good results. I wonder what happend? Has .22 ammo changed that much in the last 30 or so years?

3. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

Go to RimfireCentral.com. Scroll down to the Remington Forum, then the 597 subforum, and you'll find enough information about what to/how to, do to, the 597 than you can shake a stick at.

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

CB has the right idea. The 597 guys there are crazy about the platform. Don't try to reinvent the wheel just do what they did and have a great shootin little gun.

How about some before and after groups.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Great idea, thanks! I'll work on that too. :)

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

FINALLY got the volquartsen hammer here. Midway has been out of stock for months. :rolleyes:

As soon as I can get to the range I'll update this thread. :cool:

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'm drooling over this thread...

I loves my 597 and it is the wife's favorite. I would like to get 2 more so we each have one. Let me know how it goes, Brian. :)

8. kansas45

kansas45 Member

Good idea. Then you will have a spare! :D

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Thanks. The 597 has been my favorite .22 plinker. Stock fits and feels good (synthetic woodland camo), the trigger isn't bad at all, and with a $40 scope I have a great squirrel getter and plinker for a little over $200.

I also bought a rifle ammo sleeve that fits the buttstock. With a little magic I converted it to be able to hold 3 extra ten rd mags. :)

I'll take some pictures and get them up soon. :cool:

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Cool. Keep us in the loop. People who own them seem to love the 597.

11. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Great thread! I have a 597 and would love to hear about your results.

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I read on rimfire central that a guy needs to polish the guide rods. Along with all the directions on how to do so, it was a pretty easy 30 minute job. Those springs were tricky to get back in at first, but this is supposed to help to make the action smoother.

Re-installing the 597 Guide Rods for new/future 597 owners. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Hopefully, my volquartsen hammer will be here soon and I'll do the install with pics. :cool:

I'm pretty satisfied with the remington extractor right now, so I didn't get a vq one yet. It hasn't had any problems extracting the casings, but if it does it will not be replaced with a factory one.

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Here's the 597

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Taken down.

[​IMG]

14. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

out with the old, in with the new

[​IMG]

The new VQ is in. That was pretty easy.

[​IMG]

I can't believe how much lighter the trigger is!! I hope I can get to the range this weekend for some hole punching.

15. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I was able to tighten up my groups quite a bit! Did really well with CCI mini-mags and stingers. The bulk ammo did as expected, but it will get a squirrel at 50yrds no doubt.

Sorry, no target pictures. :eek:

If you have a 597, get the VQ hammer and it's an easy install,well worth it.

:cool:

16. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Good info! I just sighted in my scope. All I've done is the polish job, and free floated the barrel along with polishing the crown. I'm getting decent groups within one inch at about 100 yards (more like 80), but out of every 10 rounds I get 3 fliers which are so off the mark, I know it's not me doing it. I'm shooting CCI minimags, so I don't know what's causing this. Any advice?:confused:

17. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Hmmmm....floating the barrel. I didn't think of doing that. Is that doable with what I have? Would it help improve accuracy?

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

To be honest with you I personally do not know. I shot that gun then threw it in a closet for years and years. Recently (ammo prices:rolleyes:) have got me re-interested in my .22, so I wanted to see what I could get out of her. I did some research and heard a lot of guys say that it worked wonders. I busted out the dremel and free floated the CRAP out of it, forget a dollar, you could easily fit 5 between my barrel and stock. Today I shot CCI stinger, Remington, Federal and subsonics through her and was putting bullets through the same hole at 100 feet. My trigger is still too heavy though.

19. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Ok thanks. The VQ hammer works wonders for the trigger. :)

20. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Is there a good how to float a barrel anywhere? I am curious in trying this. Is it possible with synthetic stocks or just wood? I know nothing about it.