Accurate gun h&r....

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by mrbirdguy, Oct 26, 2012.

1. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

I looking for rifle break action or bolt action single shot that is accurate Something like an H&R rifle How accurate are they I want to spend $500 or less is there anything in my price range That may be better than the H&R's I want a bull's-eye Blaster At 100 yards And maybe up to 300 yards
    I want to scope it But I want the price of the gun $500 or less not including the scope As far as Calebar I do not know I'm looking for a centerfire That is Not a rare caliber not a rare caliber

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There are many new bolt action guns that will fill your requirements. Ruger, Marlin, Savage. Or used bolt action guns. I had very poor luck with the H&R I had but some do shoot OK. The bolt guns would be much easier to sell or trade if you wanted something different later.

3. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

I understand but please more detail

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

CVA makes some very good shooting single shot rifles,they have Bergara barrels that have a decent reputation for accuracy.Plus they have 14 different calibers that can be swapped on the receiver,if you want to shoot a different caliber or want to shoot Rimfire/Centerfire/Muzzle Loader rounds.
    Thompson C/T is probably the very best single shot rifle,but they cost a lot more than the H & R,or the CVA.

5. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

What models are you referring to

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I have noticed that any H&R handi rifle or Rossi can't keep up w/ a bolt gun. A Stevens 200 is a much better option. A buddy has a H&R in .308 and has the 20ga barrel also. With the .308 it is a 50 yard rifle for hunting at best.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, haven't tryed them all but i think thats a little too general -
    I've had two H&R's in 45/70 that could drive nails at 100yds ( with good glass)- Had one in i think it was 243 that was best used as a club :(
    I agree that they's a lot of good bolt guns out there "cheap" enuff to have plenty of cash left to buy good glass for a total of $500-

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Try a Savage model 10 or Stevens 200 bolt action in .223, if target shooting out to 300 yds is what you are looking for. The rifles are affoardable, offer excellent accuracy, and there are enough commercial .223 loads out there, as well as reloading components, that you shouldn't get bored with seeing what you can wring out of the rifle. Nikon offers scopes that give very good performance for the cost. Leupold bought Redfield and offer good scopes for the money as well. The Redfield line is made with some foreign parts to keep cost down, but are still assembled in Oregon and enjoy Leupold customer service and warranty backing.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Lets ask a question. Would you buy an H&R or Rossi if the experience you had w/ the .243 was the norm?? Is it worth the gamble??

10. racer_x

racer_x New Member

If it were me I would figure out what caliber u want then rifle shop. Out of the Hornady 2012 catalog rifle ballistics .223 55grain hp steel match . This shows a 200 yard zero being 1.5 high at 100 yards and -7.5 at 300. A .243 75 grain hp custom round 200 yard zero being 1.2 high at 100 yards an -6.1 at 300.

11. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

I mostly want the gun for target shooting but what could I hunt with it ? Eventually I want basically same gun but 223 and243

12. mrbirdguy

mrbirdguy New Member

Or maby 223 and 270 and not the 243?

13. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Check out the rossi websight. I think some others make them as well. I got one for my son 22lr and 410. You just change out the barrels takes about 2 min. Break action single shoot with a hammer. But it kinda sounds like thats the kinda thing your after. I know u can even get black powder barrles for them too.

14. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I had an H&R break action single shot in .223. It had the bull varmint type heavy barrel and it was very accurate. I got rid of it because I just could not get used to the break action and the act of opening it and closing it at the range. I found it very awkward.
    cottontop

15. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Ive always liked them. The first 22 i ever shot was a break over.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Look for a used Ruger #1 or #3. They are falling block which has more accuracy potential. The TC's are good quality. I had an H&R 223 Handi rifle that was not that accurate. Probably 2 moa. The heavy barrels might be more accurate.

17. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Ruger #1's/#3's are beautiful and expensive rifles.Some shoot good,some don't.
    For the money,there are plenty of other rifle's that will out shoot the majority of the Ruger #1/#3"s.
    I have owned a few over the years,but was never impressed with the accuracy of any of them.

18. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a Handi Rifle in .280 Rem, shoots as goods as I do, certainly is minute of venison.

One of my good friends parked his model 700 7mm mag in favor of a Handi Rifle .308, I have helped him clean deer taken at 100 plus yards. His grandkids have knocked over several deer with a Handi Rifle in 243.

I know another dude that started shooting a Handi Rifle in 270, with a m700 7mm mag sitting in the rack at home.

Handi Rifle may not work for everyone, not every gun does. I'll keep mine.

YMMV

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I would buy another :cool:
    The experience with the 243 is NOT the norm tho-
    If i had problems with all 3 i had i'd say no-

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

MrBirdGuy, check out the Savage Axis, the Stevens M200, the Ruger American, the Mossberg ATR and my favorite the Marlin X7's. all of these can be bought for less than $500 and will be much more accurate than a break action single shot rifle. every one of those i listed have an excellent reputation for accuracy, quality and reliability. of all those i listed, i have either owned or shot and have with the exception of the Ruger, but so far, it's gettin nothing but positive reviews from everyone.

RacerX, unless the barrels are made for that reciever, you don't just throw another barrel on it. if it's a combo, and then yes you can. but you have to use the barrels that came with the reciever.