Accuracy tips???

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Zombiegirl, May 4, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I have great accuracy with my Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. However, my aim sucks with my Ruger SR22 and with My husband's 9 mm and .40. Any tips to improve accuracy.....I shoot well with the Smith & Wesson because I can hold it close to my face but with a regular handgun I just am not making the correct adjustments.

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

squeeze the trigger smoothly ,not pull , concentrate on the object your shooting , practice dry firing it and see if your flinching , Practice, practice, practice thats the only way to get more proficient with it

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

My problem is that I anticipate the recoil and I definitely pull instead of squeeze. It frustrates me though that even withvmy SR22 I do the same thing even though there isn't really any recoil. I am going to keep practicing.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yep, practice. Dry fire is about the best. With though dry firing, the shoot truly will surprise the hell out of you. Stick to the fundamentals.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Remember this, "Let the gun fire, don't make it fire." If every time the trigger breaks it's a surprise, there will never be a flinch.

Zombiegirl do yourself a favor and get some of these;

[​IMG]

As you can see I use mine frequently. Actually I have made a game of chambering one and while watching evening TV I practice my trigger break and sight picture by shooting actors on screen. The more the show sucks, the more practice I get in. It's great therapy!

[​IMG]

6. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

My husband actually bought some of these a while back for himself. I will have to get some too. I love going to the range but would love to be accurate with all of our guns. Thanks!

7. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I just ordered a set in 9 & 45. Plastic ones didn't work well...

8. fmj

fmj Active Member

a thought.

Instead of snap caps, my frugal @$$ uses spent cases for dry fire practice.

Dry fire practice makes a WORLD of difference. At least it did for me.

Just sight your target...something stationary across the room, SQUEEZE the trigger, make sure you still have the same sight picture...repeat.

9. Standby

Standby New Member

Trying to teach firearms technique over the web is like trying to learn how to fly via email.

Best advise is find a good instructor in your area.

10. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Any tips will help, since everybody probably has gone through the same situations when first shooting. She does flinch when shooting. I did when I first started shooting. It seems that I've worked through it some how. Here and there I have a tendency to still have it!

11. kycol

kycol New Member

That it practice!

12. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Aha I do exactly that but while watching movies lol.

13. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Prepare for a potentially stupid question....

Do they make .22 rim fire snap caps? I just did a search and all I can find are dummy rounds.

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A couple of my friends have mentioned to me that

to get more accurate, I really need to shoot one

rifle, and focus on the accuracy with that one rifle.

They may be right.

16. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I'm great with a rifle, it's the darn handguns that are causing a problem. I could focus on one at a time though.

17. bigrock44

bigrock44 New Member

I thought that I was the only one too cheap to purchase Snap Caps..... I also use spent rounds to practice with, but I fill them with kids play dough to give them a more realistic weight to them.

18. Polygon

Polygon New Member

19. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

Pachmahr makes some rubber .22 snap caps .

The problem in question is flinch, in this case pulling down as the gun fires to prevent muzzle flip . One solution is from Bruce Gray of Sigarms : The Bump Drill -
    Aim in and squeeze the trigger repeatedly just short of firing. Sooner or later, you'll accidentally fire the gun----and see what a surprise break is like !

20. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Canebrake is exactly right, you should practice "snapping in" with snap caps.

Do it in front of a mirror.

That will tell you everything you are doing right and wrong.

Good luck.