accuracy problems!!!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by huntersmurf, Feb 28, 2010.

1. huntersmurf

huntersmurf New Member

I have a SAKO MODEL 75 in .300 WSM. It's 5 yrs old.When Ifirst started shooting this gun it shot wonderfully,less than 1" but in the past 6 months or so it has not been shooting up to snuff. I've tried different ammo(all factory,with different weights),cleaning extra good with bore cleaner and copper cleaner and accuracy is still very inconsistent.I don't reload so I'm running out of options anyone got any ideas?

2. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

Sounds like the barrel its self. Just replace the barrel. especially if you have shot a lot with this rifle. My husband had to replace his barrel, it was not the same rifle, but in due time on some of them they do need to be replaced. Good luck.
    ~ Kitty 87

3. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Welcome to the forum Huntersmurf! Stop by the Introductions section when you get a chance, and tell us a little about yourself.

Before I'd do something like changing barrels, I'd check the action bolts and see if they have loosened up.
    Check the mounts and ring screws and make sure they are tight.
    If that doesnt help maybe try switching scopes to see if the scope went bad.
    and check the barrel crown for any dings or damage.
    Any idea of how many rounds you have through the barrel?

4. huntersmurf

huntersmurf New Member

I've thought about that and hope that's not it because it hasn't had but maybe 200 rounds put through it.I've thought about sending it to a gunsmith and having him go over it real good. Had a muzzlebrake put on about 1 1/2 yrs ago, don't know if that might be causing some problems.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

How many rounds do you have down range?

The WSM is known for causing excessive barrel wear, but we are talking 1000, 1200 rounds, possibly more for the 300 WSM if you take care of it.

Have you made any changes to the stock, the rings or the scope?

This would be the first thing I would check.

After that, I would take the weapon to a gunsmith and have him/her bore scope the weapon and check the throat and the lands/grooves of the weapon.

Another option is that the crown is messed up. Kind of unlikely unless you have dropped the weapon or severly banged it on something.

An easy check to is to run a standard cotton ball around the crown of the weapon. If it snags and pulls cotton strands, then you have an issue.

As you don't reload, but you had positive experiences with factory ammo before, there are only a few options.

Answer a couple of these questions and we can probably direct you towards a solution.

JD

6. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

What type of muzzle break?

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

With 200 or so rounds downrange I would highly doubt your barrel is shot out. That would have to be some pretty piss poor barrel care to have that happen and I kind of doubt that is the case.

First thing, the scope, rings and action mounts. Check them all and make sure they haven't loosened up on you or gotten tweaked to the point of stress.

Next, you need to have your barrel and throat checked with a bore scope. They aren't cheap, so I would recommend having it checked by a gunsmith.

Do you have a wood stock by any chance?

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Is it synthetic stock or wood stock? If it's wood it's possible the stock has warped. Have you double checked to see if the scope mounts are tight? Are you SURE it's cleaned good? What about the crown? has it been damaged somehow? I would start with the basics before making any drastic changes.

9. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Check all stock screws, check scope mount and rings.

Do you clean the barrel from the breech or the muzzle?

try a different scope?

10. huntersmurf

huntersmurf New Member

No changes to the stock but I did put on a new scope and rings about the same time the muzzlebrake(vais, i think) was put on.The scope is a nikon monarch with leupold rings. Current ammo is remington 150 gr. core-lokt. Other ammo tried; 165 & 150 gr. fusions,165 gr.fed. triple shocks,win, 150 ballistic tip,and the new powermax 150 gr. from winchester. The 165 gr. fusions were the bullet I started out with.

11. huntersmurf

huntersmurf New Member

Laminte stock(grey wolf model),cleaned breach to muzzle,and all ring screws seem to be tight.

12. Kitty87

Kitty87 New Member

Have you tried using a laser bore site to site it in?

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Wood stock. Have you gotten it seriously wet or had it subjected to any serious heat?

Was the new scope professionally mounted by the same person that did the break?

Had you shot it successfully since the break and scope change? Good groups? Or has all gone to shi*ite since then?

14. huntersmurf

huntersmurf New Member

The stock got real wet one time a few years ago but didn't seem to cause any problems. The scope was mounted at a gun store that has done several for me and they always have done a good job. It seems that accuracy has been slowly diminishing over a period of time.I have not tried any 180 gr. loads through it yet but it seems that the 150 gr. loads improved compared to the 165 gr.that I tried.

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Being a Sako,it should have a free floating barrel from the factory. Since you said the stock had gotten wet before,take a dollar bill and place between the barrel and stock and see if you can pull it from the end of the stock to the action.
    If the bill gets stuck anywhere while pulling it towards the action,your stock has probably warped,and that will cause wild groups from touching the barrel when fired. You can either take the action out of the stock and sand the stock down to where it is free floating the barrel again,or replace the stock.

Also,Did you fire the gun after the muzzlebrake was installed? Point of impact will usually change with a muzzlebrake,but the groups usually don't change much. You can take the brake off and fire the gun and see if the groups tighten back up,if your stock is ok and do a little trouble shooting yourself.

I would also take the scope off and check the bases and rings too.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would do the dollar bill check and if that passes I would pull the action out of the stock and check it over with a magnifying glass in the area of the action inlet. Maybe your stock is cracked. It may have been bedded from the factory which is a spot of bedding here and there. If anyone that loosened up after the wet stock and shooting it may have been smashed up a little causing your action to move in the stock.

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hey welcome back...the d bags have been running wild in your absence.

18. huntersmurf

huntersmurf New Member

Thanks for all the help guys,I'll try each suggestion out but if that doesn't do it it may be more than I can handle, which means a trip to the gunsmith. I will keep you posted, THANKS!

19. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Ive thought this a few times, but never posted it.

When having trouble grouping or sighting an optic. Start at 25 yards, get it accpetable, then move to 50 yards, then 100.

Have you tried this?

20. huntersmurf

huntersmurf New Member

I've tried a number of things including letting other people shoot this rifle. The group size has increased to 2-3'' range which is not acceptable in itself but location of the groups bothers me even more. Sometimes it's to the right,left or high. I'm wondering if the barrel is changing what it likes now that I'm getting more rounds downrange. I've not had this happen before,so could that be a possibility?