Accuracy AR-10 vs PTR 91

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by ArrizX, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

I just picked up a PTR the other day and bought a brand new S&W M&P AR10 yesterday. I can only afford glass for one of them, and I am leaning towards the AR10 since its a flat top with no iron sights at all, and needs something regardless even if I put glass on the PTR. PTR already has iron sights but I got it with a rail, so Its kind of a coin toss I can scope either.

Anyone have an opinion on which would be better scoped?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The AR tends to have better intrinsic accuracy due to the DI gas system which reduces the reciprocating mass and moving parts.

3. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Perfect, thanks. Good to know I know, because I know nothing about them. Just too good of a deal to pass up. Im still waiting to get it so I havent even seen it in person yet.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Agreed. Scope the AR.

Both of these are decent rifles, so put decent glass on them, even if you have to save your shekels for a few months.

5. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

Any preferences on type and brand for optics on an AR-15? I am very new to shooting in general and I am still learning my way around.

ForumRunner_20130215_200434.jpg

6. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Okay. What do you reccomend? I was looking at the Bushnell Elite Tatical 10x40 fixed power. I would of like a larger objective on such a big rifle. I dont want it to look disproportioned lol. Thoughts?

Anyone want to recommend a different one? I would like a fixed power on it.

7. locutus

I prefer the ACOG. but they are pricey.

Leupold, Nikon, Nightforce all make good units.

Personally, I would avoid anything made by Tasco, Bushnell, Simmons or anything else in their category. Good glass isn't cheap, but it's well worth the time and effort of saving up your money for a few months.

And for a 5.56X45, the 1.5-4X20 is near ideal. 2-7 and 1.5-6 are good. But you don't need 4-12 or even 3-9 on a .223.

For .308, 2-7 and even 3-9 are okay, but again, anything over 9x, IMHO isn't needed.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

Would you mind recommending a good one? I was honestly looking at Trijicon but thats alot of money for a scope. I would like to be into one for about half of one of those.

9. AR10

AR10 New Member

Amazon for scopes is how I do it. China, Russia have copied our best scopes, and are selling them for penny's on the dollar. Read the reviews. Some great low dollar glass on amazon.

I went with a variable high power scope so I could use it as a spotting scope to see placement of my shots.

Amazon prime gives you free two day shipping and free returns.

10. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

What are the brands to look for?

11. locutus

Leupold, Nikon Monarch, the top end of the Burris line.

12. ArrizX

ArrizX New Member

I was asking about the knock offs lik the ar10 suggested but thanks I will look at those too!

13. locutus

There is nothing that some man cannot make worse and sell cheaper, and those who consider price only are this man's legitimate prey."

John Ruskin

"Nuff said!:D

14. samnev

samnev New Member

Depends on the type of shooting that you do. If shooting no more than 300 yards I like the 4X ACOG TA 31 even with the sort eye relief. If longer range shooting a Vortex Viper PST FFP 4X-16X50 or if you have the coin a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X50.

15. WonderingMind

WonderingMind New Member

I settled on a Ranger holographic reflex sight to start with. When I get my next AR I will try out some other optics. I looked at the Nightforce on line and I think that just might suit me.

Attached Files: