Accidental Discharge

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Lowrider, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

Is it possible (within reason) for a weapon to discharge with a shell in the chamber while in a holster?

I carrier an LCP in a pocket holster and a Glock 36 .45 in a OWB. Always with one in the slot. Both these situation has the trigger covered.

I know it is common to carry with one in the chamber, but has anyone ever heard of a weapon spontaniously discharging?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

There is NO such thing as an accidental discharge, ONLY a Negligent Discharge and is self defining.

The only time you should worry about your properly carried CCW is during the spontaneous combustion of your body.....wait......no, you won't need to worry about the weapon! [​IMG]

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Wait, I thought guns shoot all by themselves. I musta been mis-informed...:eek:

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

If you read some news reports or watch libtard tv you'll find that weapons are evil and "just go off" by themselves all the time.

:rolleyes:

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

All I get from those reports is that if there is unwanted discharge, I need to go to a gynecologist. I don't get it. :p

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

It's called a yeast infection, or.....you just....got some sand.....in your vagina.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

No there is no way a gun can go off with out outside force being applied to the firearm. Something has to cause the gun to discharge.

The only spontaneously discharge I ever seen was when a nerdy buddy of mine got a lap dance from a smokin hot stripper. Now that is a story to beat all stories.

8. suprdave

suprdave New Member

Happened to me once...

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Close, but I doubt "...a smokin hot stripper" could produce the heat required for a "Cook-Off". (Pre-mature maybe)

A cook-off is the firing of a chambered round caused by the cartridge absorbing excess heat from a very hot barrel.

I still consider this a Negligent Discharge because only you know the condition of your weapon and leaving a round chambered when the barrel is very hot is operator negligence!

If you're running your gun this hot, you will know and probably will have no issue keeping the potential cook-off pointed in the logical direction. I'm guessing there are a few members here that have found themselves in this condition. I'm curious if this is covered in training? Any input? Us Navy guys never carried enough ammo to heat the barrel to 'very hot'!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  10. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

I have been trained about cook offs both in a rifle instructor class and in the Colt armor's class. I have not see this myself but I have been told it can happen. Lots of rounds very fast with no time for cooling. I was told it is very hard to get a gun this hot on semi auto, full auto is a different story. I would find it hard to believe a person could get a handgun this hot and have a cook off round.

As for the "accidental discharge" or more like negligent discharge, most people will not admit they touched the trigger and made the ND go down. In all the ND's I have had I did something wring and pulled the trigger when I was not ready to. All of them were no blood no fault, I was also on the range by my self.

11. WDB

WDB New Member

I can't imagine (with in reason) how a holstered pistol could AD. I expect some have claimed this has happened to them but if the pistol was checked out I bet it would show that it didn't happen with out the trigger or hammer being touched. Some firearms have gone off when dropped but that goes back to the firearm being handled.

In sort a firearm at rest will remain at rest.

12. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

The lap dance or the AD?

If you had a holstered weapon discharge, please share the details.

13. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Obviously he meant the lap dance (and that may have caused an AD)...

The only way a holstered weapon can discharge is if...

A) The trigger is pulled (intentionally or unintentionally) or...

B) A part of the gun is in such a state of disrepair/rust/etc., that it breaks/fails due to vibration/etc.

ANSWER B...Is HIGHLY unlikely, and can only be due to extreme disregard on the gun owner/carrier's part.

Or...
    C) A solar flair/nuclear explosion close enough to generate enough heat to 'cook off' a round in your firearm...of course you'd never be able to use this excuse, because you and any whitenesses would already be dead too.

Just my $0.02 worth.

14. jesstk77

jesstk77 New Member

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

:D To bypass all the jokes about what discharged, and what it took to cure the discharge-

No. Have never seen a firearm fire a cartridge without some outside force. The force is USUALLY a finger on the trigger when it should not be (keep yer booger hook off'n the bangswitch) RARELY has the force been a foreign object (twig inside trigger guard, dog pawing at a cocked shotgun)

The cookoff mentioned is when a weapon has been fired over and over- and the heat of the weapon causes powder in chambered cartridge to ignite. Have only seen in a smokin' hot full auto (one of the reasons many full autos are open bolt guns) Don't think is possible to get a revolver that hot.

Now, in fairness, the ORIGINAL single action revolver COULD fire if hammer was resting on a cartridge, and the hammer were struck with sufficient force, or if gun were dropped and landed on hammer. Design has been changed to keep that from happening with modern arms.

Last ND I saw, weapon was being replaced in holster- with finger ON THE TRIGGER. Holster pushed finger on trigger, gun did what it was designed to do- went BANG.

16. ming

ming New Member

I've had an M60 cook off many years ago while in the USMC. Gets your attention! I don't think it could happen in a handgun. Can't get enough rounds through it fast enough to heat the barrel sufficiently. The M60 was white hot when it happened.

17. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPlBqStWJLw]YouTube - Plaxico Burress On Gun Safety[/ame]

18. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

That stuff was flat out funny, even if it didn't support the cause much!

19. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

20. WDB

WDB New Member

BS meter hitting red but not white hot. Welcome to FTF, Take the time and introduce yourself on the new member thread.