Acceptable Ammo for 1911r1

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by flbntz, Feb 24, 2011.

1. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Got a Remington 1911r1 yesterday, and was sold a box of 20 Hornady 45 AUTO +P 230 gr TAP FPD hollow points, and 2 boxes of 50 American Eagle 45 AUTO 230 gr Full Metal Jacket. The manual, which I read when I got home says not to use +P in the gun, and to limit the muzzle velocity to 835fps. The Hornady's muzzle velocity is listed as 950, and the AE's as 890. Does anyone think this would hurt the gun to fire off these rounds at a range?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Use the +P as carry. Watch where the casings land with the American Eagle. If they hit the ground more that 15 feet away, you may have to go with a different recoil spring.

3. silentghost

silentghost New Member

For those you may want to upgrade to a 17 or 18lb recoil spring.

4. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

5. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I go by what the manual says and got a deal on Rem ammo. That way if any warranty work needs to be performed there shouldn't be any questions.

6. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Thanks, appreciate it.

What did you get, and what did you pay for it? I think they were trying to help me out at the gun shop, get me into a little extra fire power, but I don't want to hurt the gun, or myself, and I think you make a good point about potential warranty work.

7. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I got the 1911R1 at Gander Mt for $649 with 250rds of UMC 230gr hardball NIB.
    I visit the store to kill time when the wife goes to the mall. I got the first one that came to that store. Last time I checked they wanted $699 with no ammo.
    I might have gotten a better deal over the internet, but I like to see what I'm buying and don't have a FFL.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  8. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Sounds like you got a good deal. I paid $649 at the Trop Gun Shop here in Elizabethtown, but $19 for 20 Horandy +P HollowPoints, and $21 each for two boxes of fifty American Eagle Full Metal Jackets. What do Hardball NIB, and FFL stand for? What's the pistol in your profile photo? Looks nice, Looks like a Luger.

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      80.5 KB
      Views:
  9. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Avatar or profile is a 9mm Walther P1 postwar German army.
    Hardball= Full metal jacket
    FFL= Federal Firearms License
    My ammo deal was $20 coupon for every $100 spent on I think Black Friday or Thanksgiving Day, but wasn't redeemable until the following Sunday. So the ammo was on sale the following Sunday and the 250rd cost me $99.99 in Gander coupons. Just lucky timing.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  10. JonM

JonM Moderator

NIB is new in box

11. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Do you have the 9mm? Where did you get it? Do you like it? I always liked the styling of those. I had a toy one when I was a kid. Thanks for the definitions of the technical terms. I've been away from guns for about twenty years. College, working, etc. Sounds like you did get lucky with the ammo. But, luck counts!

12. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Thanks, appreciate it.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you like the Walther P1 don't forget the earlier WWII Walther P38 which is probably the one you remember as a child. And the much more modern Beretta 92 borrows heavily from both designs.

But the pistol kings of both World Wars are the 1911 and Luger (with the Hi-Power debuting just before WWII).

14. RevDerb

RevDerb New Member

Congratulations. I picked mine up just after the first of the year and love it. I really believe that the caution against +P is for the attorneys. There is no imprint on the ammo that would throw up a flag for warranty work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. flbntz

flbntz New Member

I did Google Walther, but didn't know about the Beretta 92. Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out. I do like my 1911. Can't wait to fire it. Hopefully, on the range!

16. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Like your profile photo.

17. flbntz

flbntz New Member

Thanks. Glad to hear you love your gun. They're beautiful, aren't they? I love the feel of the thing, can't wait to shoot it. That's actually what the gun dealer said about the +P: "Lawyer Crap", and, "They're just covering their asses". Still, I did buy some Remington Golden Saber, Home Defense, and UMC Handgun, just to play it safe. If these fire well, I may try the others, just to compare. Beautiful photos, thanks for sharing. Oh, and, I like your quote. My dad was a hunter, and I grew up with guns. Shot a lot of .357 Magnum pistols, he didn't trust auto hanguns, so they were S&W, and Ruger revolvers, and rifles, shotguns, then got into the Peace thing, and didn't have guns. Ironically, now, I've gotten into spirituality, Chinese Medicine, and Daoism, and I own a handgun! Go figure. But yeah, you're Bible quote. I encountered an angel in a church I used to go to, and it was FIERCE! It was behind me, 8-10 feet tall, and fierce! Not dangerous to me, I knew it would protect me if I needed protection, but FIERCE! That surprised me. My medical qigong instructor looked at me the one time, and I thought he was pissed at me, but he was letting me see who he really is. From behind his right eye, in the pupil, I could see this bright white light, and it was fierce! Not angry, but, just by it's nature, FIERCE! I like your quote.