Absurdity at every turn

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by dog2000tj, Apr 27, 2011.

1. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I am not one for the wanton and rampant destruction of the environment, but this article got under my skin (seems to be happening a lot lately, maybe I should stop reading the news :rolleyes: ) :mad:

Feds say solar project imperils desert tortoises - Business - msnbc.com

So the Fed's have halted an alternative energy project because of some desert tortoises. They claim that up to 3000 of them are inhabiting the proposed 5.6 acre project site and 700 young would be killed during construction. Does this not ring as complete BS to anybody but me - 3000 tortoise occupying 5+ acres? Not to mention how difficult could it possible be to round them up and move them? :confused:

It seems to me that any problem, no matter how trivial, becomes some monumental undertaking like solving the meaning of life when the Fed's get involved! :mad:

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

That is because solving or correcting a problem requires rational thought, something the government is incapable of. Now, if you want lip service, they have plenty of that!! :D

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Makes perfect sense once you accept that the environmental movement is really an anti-capitalist wolf in sheep's clothing. They use "endangered" species classifications as a weapon against any and all technological progress or activities they do not approve of.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

That estimate would have one turtle in every 16x16 bit of ground.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y]YouTube - Zombie Kid Likes Turtles[/ame]

We have had construction projects out there that require a "turtle watcher". When you find one, DO NOT TOUCH IT (touch a turtle, go to jail) The watcher, who has a staff with an orange flag on it, stands near the turtle. It moves, he moves. All construction is routed around. Touching them causes them to pee, and loss of body fluids can kill them.

5. freefall

freefall New Member

I will be dipped in sh!t C3. I live in Alaska, thought I'd heard every stupid thing the granola crunchin dope smokin tree huggin hairy pitted greenies could throw out. Or up, as far as that goes.:cool:

6. cjbubbadoc

cjbubbadoc New Member

3000 on 5.6 acres, hmmm sounds like an alpaca farm to me. Rare and almost extinct, really check the panda numbers for 2010 only 2500 adults in the wild.
    Still looking for 1 sasquatch. And oh yeah can't forget the spotted owls, they just flew away before they started cutting down the trees. Hell I've seen dirt streams protected as salmon habitat.

7. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Here's the thing I have no problem whatsoever with protecting the tortoise. As a matter of fact I see no reason why they can't be protected. But to say that the only solution to this problem, and I use that term in the loosest sense, is to shut down the project? :mad:

WTF Fed's?!? It's not like you are trying to put life on Mars. Pick up the tortoise, move them to a temporary area, or permanent one for all I care, and get on with the work! :mad:

As for the obviously bloated density numbers used in the report - those that suggested that absurd number and whoever approved it's use should be hung from the nearest tree lest they breed and spawn more stupidity! :cool:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

217800 sqft / (an adult tortoise roughly occupies 1 sqft x 3000) = 1 for every 72 sgft

9. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

You really don't think it's about tortoises do you? The Feds can talk all the smack they want. They want nothing to do with alternative energy sources, there is too much control to be had with oil!!! Why do you think we haven't started drilling on US soil, because of some bird or bug or squirrel or some crap??