about to buy an ar

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mojonasty1, Jan 21, 2011.

1. mojonasty1

mojonasty1 New Member

Hello everyone, I m about to buy an ar rifle and have been researching for about a month. Im settled between a colt or a daniel defense dd4. Was wondering if anyone had any exper. with dan.def. I have shot a few colts but none of the daniel def guns. Just looking for some simple advice. thanks.

2. I have no exper with Daniel Defense. However if you search this forum there are a lot of info from some knowledgeable people to be had here. A lot of guys have DD rifles here and talk about them on the forum, your search should be easy.

3. russ

russ New Member

Daniel Defense is a top tier manufacturer. You can rest assured that anything you get from DD is good stuff.

4. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have fired a crap ton of rounds through various Colts and own a DD. I will admit the DD was purchased this winter and hasnt seen much range time. Either way you'll be good. DDs might be going on sale the end of the month if you can hold out.

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Those are great choices M1, your research has served you well. BCM is right up there too. Are you also looking at midlength gas systems?

I've also shot Colts but little experience with DD. That's about to change since I just received a DD 16" midlength upper Thursday. Like mjkeat I need to get it out to the range but have a few things left to do on this build.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

I have some Colts but I think of the two choices I would go with the Daniels Defence. They are built at a bench not an assembly line. Therefore in my opinion a little more TLC is applied. Also Rock River, LMT, Sabre and Stag builds some good ARs. There also may be some price advantages coming if you wait a couple of weeks because some were running AR Rifle Specials for their dealers at the Shot Show this past week?????

7. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

I have the Daniel Defense DDM4 V4 and could not say enough good things about it. Its accurate and has never had a FTE or FTF of any kind in over 1000 rounds. Its my go to AR.

8. ChiefOswald

ChiefOswald New Member

some people have mixed feelings about CMMG, but i have had good luck with their products. Not a big "assembly line" production either. You can catch some good deals if you look online.

9. russ

russ New Member

Agreed. All four of my AR's have at least the lower receiver from CMMG, and two are complete CMMG. I just didn't bring it up because the OP only asked about Colt vs. DD.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What will the application for this rifle be??

Nothing wrong with Daniel Defense, but their name gets thrown a lot when people are "researching" only to find out they are planning on buying product "A" for application "X".

A little more information might help us save you some money in the long run.

JD

11. mojonasty1

mojonasty1 New Member

thanks gentlemen

thanks for the info been busy so I haven t had time to reply. I ve decided to go with the dan def . I am going to gun show in morn to see if anyone is carrying any if not I m gonna order from impact guns. again thanks and as soon as I get it I ll probably have more questions on outfitting it. lasers optics and possibly a suppressor . feel free to give me some recommendations thanks . happy shootin:)

12. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

i think it is "shooting times" (for november or december 2010) that is (or did run) running a cover-to-cover on black rifles -- the best, the most affordable, the most overlooked, etc..................before i bought my Rock River, i was going to get a Del-Ton that was built to my specifications. the magazine stated that their rifles are VERY affordable and of GOOD to GREAT quality for the price, which leaves them VERY overlooked because everyone wants a HIGH DOLLAR "NAME-BRAND."

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I get a little perturbed when people say things like that.

There are very legit reasons someone would choose a, "high dollar, name brand," rifle as you call them. The thing is when you break it down the rifle that may run $100 more have a crap ton of very important features and in general are assembled better w/ better materials. For most of us its not what name is on our AR its the quality that we want. And like I said the majority of the time you can get a top shelf rifle for a fist full of change more than something that may not make it through a heavy range session. Remember you're also paying for customer service.

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Unfortunately the gun rags rarely do unbiased report on guns. And they're rarely critical of the guns and ammo supplied for free - and their advertisers. After you read them for a while you realize you get better information from people on the net that have first hand experience.

I finally let all my gun magazine subscriptions lapse, the only good thing was the nice pictures.

15. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

I agree... this past week i was looking through one titled something like "guns for self defense" or something else. AR picture caught my eye so i read the article, and basically it says tactic a was something along the lines of Plead for your life and place yourself as close to the muzzle as possible so you can grab as take the weapon from the shooter.
    I Have a few problems with that theory, primarily it being a hollywood tactic, Because if a fool is going to break in and point a gun at you, crying and begging and approaching the shooter... will getcha shot, and makes it easier to do so.
    Sorry for the Hijack.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

But what if you're Steven Sea Gull?

17. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

Congrats on your choice. What version did choose ? Lets see some pics.

18. CaptMax

CaptMax New Member

Didn't someone once say, "God created man, Samuel Colt made them equal"?
    Or was it "God created man, Daniel Defense made them equal"? :eek:
    CaptMax

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

his extra chunk keeps him safe. plus he has the advantage of time lapse to make him seem fast.

the only problem i have with my colt AR is the over large pin holes. makes it harder to repair with aftermarket parts.

its one reason i switched my main AR15 to a combo of RRA and DPMS parts.

my sp1 is now a safe gun and range gun only for special occasions.

im not sure what special features you guys are talking about.

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

He has gotten a little heavy. I do enjoy his newer TV series though. Not a fan at all of his movies.

Features such as quality materials, proper staking, chrome lined chamber and bore, in spec; rails, mounting holes, chamber, extension tubes, etc.