? About red dots

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jeepin1990, Feb 8, 2013.

1. jeepin1990

jeepin1990 New Member

Looking for a red dot for my ar. I have no knowledge about red dots. Not looking to spend alot or anything fancy just looking to get something reliable. Thanks for any and all input.

Thanks.

2. indy36

indy36 New Member

One of the best (cost wise and ruggedness) red dots is the Vortex SPARC. Can be found online for under $200. The Vortex Strikefire is less and good as well. AimPoint and Eotec and things like that are big money but worth it. Stay away from NcStar.

3. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Don't buy the cheapy stuff. It is enticing for the price, but after a few sessions at the range you have more of a Red Blur than a Red Dot. I was thinking along the same lines as you and started with a BSA. Within 3 trips to the range I had the blur. Now, most people would say what I bought was cheap, but I've been using it since November and it works great. Even some of the local guys have been impressed with it's overall performance for the cost. I can't find it for sale, but I can show you the link from Ebay where I bought it:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPO-4x32-AC...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    It's held perfectly tight since the original alignment. It also has a fiber-optic like on the top and it's within .25" of the recticle. Check it out. There are a few gems in the rough out there.

4. Renegade44

Renegade44 New Member

Do you have a front sight on your barrel? If so, does it interfere with the red dot?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  5. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Mine has no iron sight. It came as a flat top. The following picture shows it, I think the day after I got it with a BSA on it. That's the one that failed after a couple range visits. But you can see it's a flat top
    [​IMG]

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

For me the fixed front sight doesn't interfere with a RDS. Cowitness, using a flip up rear.

The Bushnell TRS-25 works great for me. $80, if you catch a sale.

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Whats wrong with NcStar? Ive got an NcStar holographic sight co witnessed on my AR and it works great. Ive had it for about 3 years now with no issues.

8. msup752

msup752 New Member

I got a vortex Strikefire around christmas from PSA for $125. It was a big improvement over my ATI $50 sight. The batteries are pricy but I have yet to replace it.
    I haven't used it much though as reloading supplies for 300 BLK are scarce.

9. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Quentin,
    You got me interested in the Bushnell now. I want a small red dot for my 7.5" pistol build. My A2 irons are to big for this. How does it do on sunny days, is it bright enough? If I shoulder fire, sighting rough because of the eye relief, I think if I mounted the TRS-25 a couple of inches forward it would be easier.

Attached Files:

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You only need to remember two words for Red Dots.

Aimpoint
    EOTech

The new Aimpoint Patrol rifle Optic (PRO) is only around $400 and it's front cabin all the way.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The TRS-25 has 11 brightness settings and set on bright does pretty well on sunny days. I really don't use it much beyond 50 yards but would say within 75 yards or so you won't have many complaints. I have two and no problems with either. They're an Aimpoint Micro knockoff but a pretty decent one in my opinion. Daniel Defense used to put them on a value patrol M4 for LEOs.

I hate to recommend it too strongly since I've only used two but it's light, $80 and holds zero on a 5.56 so you won't get hurt too bad if it doesn't work out for you.

12. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

I saved up and put an Eotech 512 on my Delton Echo 316/MOE and it was well worth the cash. Close to $450 with tax. I would love to have an aimpoint micro but the Eotech will have to do for now.

13. jeepin1990

jeepin1990 New Member

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have 3 Bushnell TRS 25's and they are the best under $100. 3000 hr battery life. You will need a riser for the AR.

15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I love Vortex for under $200.

I'd argue that they're 80-90% as good as the Aimpoints they seem to replicate, at 40% of the price. Of course that's a highly subjective statement. But for my needs and uses, I'd say they're that good.

16. eastby

eastby New Member

Primary Arms Micro Dot. Yes.....it is a "poor man's Aimpoint" but it's also $400-$500 less. I would have loved an Aimpoint Micro, but I couldn't afford it. I got a PA Micro Dot for $90, and I was very impressed. A GREAT alternative until I can cough up the dough for an Aimpoint or Eotech or ACOG.

17. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There is no such thing as an inexpensive quality red dot optic. There are red dot optics that work reliably and have good battery life and there are optics that don't work reliably and/or don't have good battery life.

Don't waste your money on cheap optics of any kind. There's no point in purchasing an optic that doesn't work when you need it to, even if the rifle it's mounted on is just for plinking. If you purchase an optic that's not up to snuff, then you'll inevitably pay for an optic that does work reliably in addition to the money wasted on the optic that did not work reliably.

Even with China's artificially low wages for skilled labor, there's no way to make a $100-$200 dollar optic equivalent to a $500-$600 dollar optic. Quality has a price tag attached to it.

Save your money and buy an optic of known quality. Aimpoint and EoTech make quality red dot optics. Get the models that permit you to use night vision if the thought even passes through your mind that you might need to use night vision. The $50-$75 extra dollars you pay for the capability is of no consequence.

I like the Aimpoint Comp M3. I think the Aimpoint Micro tube is a tad too small. I like the Aimpoint Comp M4, too, but I can put a Comp M3 and SureFire X300 on my carbine or rifle for the same weight. Basically, the little extra bit of ruggedness and AA battery are not as useful to me as the weight savings. I try to limit the weight of my added accessories to 1 pound or less.

18. m4master556

m4master556 New Member

U can get a decent reflex for cheap. It depends on what caliber of gun your going to run it with.I would recommend a reflex and if u got the money a eotech