? about modern muzzleloaders...

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by supergus, Oct 19, 2008.

1. supergus

supergus New Member

Can anyone explain what the modern muzzleloader (CVA, T/C, Savage, etc.)is best at? As someone who is not a hunter but is trying to fill up my safe before the election, is a muzzleloader worth the money, or am I better off buying ammo for what I already have?

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Me personaly I wouldn't bother with them. But then again You can make black powder yourself and you can cast your own bullets if need be. No matter what people say many a big game animals have dies from a front stuffer and a lead ball.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

IMHO, muzzleloaders excel at getting you an extra two weeks of deer season. Not much else. The MODERN muzzleloader (in-line, 209 primed, electric primed, etc) is attempting to duplicate the single shot cartridge rifle, but still remain LEGALLY a "primitive arm", and many states provide a separate hunting season for those. I own, shoot, and enjoy a few charcoal burners, but do not see them as being superior to, say, a Browning .243, a Wichester .308, etc. I do cast my own bullets, and COULD make my own powder- but not as high a quality as my store bought stuff.

4. DuckA

DuckA New Member

I agree with both of the posts above. Unless you want to get a little more time deer hunting, just put the money towards ammo. I have a Knight and it shoots like a champ, but I get it out of the safe during primitive weapons season and that's it.

5. supergus

supergus New Member

6. laynejc

laynejc New Member

how do you make your own powder?

7. DuckA

DuckA New Member

Edit: I was going to tell you, but I'm not sure about the legality of it.