Firearms Talk banner

About Engraving

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Thierry 
#1 ·
Hello,

My name is Thierry Duguet, I am a traditional Custom Hand Engraver (Hammer and Chisel). I did publish on YOUTUBE.COM several videos about engraving, they are not selling video I demonstrate several of the techniques I use in my work as most people have little idea of what is involve in that craft. You can see the video here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/ThierryDuguet
Please not that I am not a videographer, the videos are very long, they are conceive as demonstration for my clients or for other engravers.

Enjoy!

#5 ·
I was just thinking of old style chisel engraving today, OTZ is over 560mi from the closest recycling center, so one sees quite a bit of copper tube laying around 3/4",1" & 1.1/2", was thinking of getting one the kids to try engraving on it.
Tube or curve stuff in general is not the best way to start. Once one "master" cutting on flat surface one can start round surface. Do not make it more difficult that it has to be.

#8 ·
So, me not being an artist, I cannot draw a good stickman - you being a pro, if you were to look at a gun with scrolling, how could you tell if it we done by machine or hand?

#9 ·
Thierry- welcome, neighbor- you are a few miles up I-64 from me. Welcome to the forum.

Do you work from home there in C'ville, or have a separate shop? I used to know Ken Hurst when he was over in Campbell County. I can't draw a stop sign without a ruler and a protractor- I have always been in awe of the engravers I have watched carving in steel.

#10 ·
So, me not being an artist, I cannot draw a good stickman - you being a pro, if you were to look at a gun with scrolling, how could you tell if it we done by machine or hand?
I'm not Thierry, but here is something to look for:

Depth of cut and variance of depth/width of cut. Hand work will have much variance. Machine work is generally all the same depth/width.

This is probably the easiest way for the layman to tell the difference. But, studying pictures or examples of good hand engraving will allow you to spot machine engraving from 10 feet away. There is generally that much difference between good hand engraving and machine engraving.

#11 ·
The texture is very different.

Laser: The engraving often feel ruff under the finger, as the drawing is often done on computer and not by an engraver the scroll often seem messy without a clear starting point, the cut lines are all the same (main cut and shading), the shape of the cut is strait (cut engraving is triangular), when you roll the engraving under a light or the sun there is no reflection from the cut.

Roll engraving: The bottom of the cut is round, there is like a lip around the engraving (the metal was not removed it was displace). The engraving is lifeless and bis-tonal (white and gray) the shading is either absent or very sparse.

Both type of engraving can be finish by hand to add details and shading, the EELL (the older model) Beretta is a great example of roll engraving finish by an engraver. The cost is also a good guide is you have a full coverage on a new shotgun for $2000.00 it is most likely not done by hand.

#12 ·
Thierry- welcome, neighbor- you are a few miles up I-64 from me. Welcome to the forum.

Do you work from home there in C'ville, or have a separate shop? I used to know Ken Hurst when he was over in Campbell County. I can't draw a stop sign without a ruler and a protractor- I have always been in awe of the engravers I have watched carving in steel.
I work at home as I have nothing for sell and work strictly on commission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.