Ability to shoot

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by Cain, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Cain

Cain New Member

I have been through 3 surgeries for a brain tumor and in the process lost the use of my left leg from the knee down. I can get around with the use of a brace but I really hope this is not and end all for competitive shooting through uspsa. Is there any way for someone like myself to still be able to compete given my limitations? Any help would be great!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Cain- i do not shoot the "Run and Gun" competitions, but there may be sections- like the Steel challenge- that do not require rapid movement. Best shot (pun intended) would be to talk with the folks HERE: Welcome to USPSA.org - Home of the United States Practical Shooting Association and see what they say.

Some things, like a biathlon, have a physical component that simply cannot be accommodated without being unfair to the other competitors. Rather than focusing on what you can't do, look at what you CAN do. Have a friend that lost both legs- he shoots silhouette from a wheelchair.

Good luck, and let us know what develops. Sometimes we get questions from a shooter with a disability, and I do not have a CLUE- you may be able to offer some valuable input to those, if you would be willing.

3. Cain

Cain New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely take your advise and go to the USPSA site and see what they say. Thanks again for all the advise - greatly appreciated!

4. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Honestly, I'd use it has a means to become the best you can be with the cards you've been dealt. You might not be as competitive, but I bet you'll feel damned good about yourself hopping through a full course of fire (or however you get around) ;) . I mean, unless you're just in it for the trophies (as opposed to personal skill improvement), I don't think you'd find it any less satisfying.

5. Cain

Cain New Member

Thanks

I love to compete and I am a fighter. I just got my skull put back on Monday. I will find a way to get in and get involved. Thanks for the encouragement.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

keep us all updated, I'm very interested in seeing how this goes for you, it could be the dawn of something new.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

** mad respect **

Cain, I see your story and personal mettle as a great asset to our community!

Please keep us in the loop with your progress, both physical and competitively.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Keep positive. My "hinderances" did affect my shooting style. So I did what I could and changed my style.
    Like Cane says, please keep us in the loop with your progress.

Good luck!

9. Cain

Cain New Member

Grateful

I was a member of the armed forces and I take great pride in over coming obstacles. I have been out for 5 months with a brain tumor but I know I am heading in the right direction. Thanks for the support - shooting gives me confidence and having a "community" to talk to about things has been great! Thanks again -

10. utf59

utf59 New Member

Steel Challenge was my first thought. There is one stage that requires movement during the course of fire, but it's short and straight. It's also affiliated with USPSA. I saw video of the world championship from last year (or maybe 2009) and they showed a competitor who had lost the use of his left arm in a motorcycle accident, so it can be done.

There's bullseye shooting, of course.

At local matches, you might look at bowling pin pin matches if there are any in your area.

Ruger is also sponsoring a series called the Ruger Rimfire Challenge. It's all .22, but it looks like a lot of fun, and there isn't a great deal of movement — it's set up a lot like Steel Challenge. And they shoot pistol and rifle as part of the same competition.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Cain, you inspire me to be my best. I feel I have some 'limits' in this world of shooting but I'll shut up and quit whining because you are much tougher than I am. Thank you for putting it all in perspective for me.

12. Cain

Cain New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the advice regarding what would be realistic options for shooting. I am so excited to get this rolling. I will be down for another month or so and then it's full steam ahead. You guys and gals have inspired me. Thanks for all the kind words. Keith

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

No I think it's you who has inspired us. Good luck.

14. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

+1 to that!

I'm not sure how serious your local IDPA / USPSA competitions are, but if they are so serious as to give you anything but applause for still competing then you're better off going somewhere else anyways :) .

15. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

With the right attitude ( sounds like you have that covered ) and God's help all things are possible!

16. thisyear

thisyear New Member

I have ever tried to do that.;)