Ability to fight if on medications.

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by czfreak, Mar 19, 2014.

1. czfreak

czfreak New Member

Does anyone train for the occurance that they could be on medication at that critical moment you have to defend yourself? Does anyone ever think about the mental or physical handicaps you will have to work against?

2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Interesting thought. Never crossed my mind before. Do I myself train for it, no. Drugs\alcohol and firearms do not mix, so IMHO there is no safe way to train for this contingency. The safest bet would be to make sure that you have someone to watch your 6 while you are on meds, or get a dog.

If ever put in that type of situation, I am pretty sure I would sober up enough to defend myself in a hurry. Not a major concern to me now, as I don't get phantom pain as often as I used to.

3. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

This is a hard question because I have never not been in control

EZ

4. czfreak

czfreak New Member

You never have to take any type of medications? I'm even going as broad as a medication that makes you sick to your stomach. I'm asking becaise pretty soon i eill have to start taking a new medication. I've been told the first month can be filled with symptoms like nausea and dizziness. I still have a family to protect and have to be prepared no matter how sick i may be.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

realistically, i doubt anyone with any common sense is going to train for such an obscure and highly improbable thing such as this.

how would a person even begin to safely train for such a scenario? seriously, who would want to intentionally put themselves in that condition, or who would want to be around someone in that condition? i'll have to answer no o both.

i'm sorry, IMO, this is one of those things that just goes even beyond being silly, almost to the point of being rather stupid.

6. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

One way to train is to force yourself when you are feeling nauseous to do difficult things.
    I have a feeling in a true emergency adrenaline would kick in and get you focused.

7. czfreak

czfreak New Member

Probably true. I get this mentality of training from my uears of martial arts training. I'm not saying go take some xanex and play with a gun. I've done things such as purposefully knocking the wind out of myself then dry firing to see the differences in how i move and manipulate the weapon as opposed to when i am at 100%.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I take medication to prevent me from acting on my evil thoughts. Without medication, :eek:

9. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Nope not yet I'm not counting a couple times I've been in the hospital incapacitated that's a completely different story.
    But medicines alcohol or anything like that no.
    100 percent in control.

Not saying I can't see it happening but it hasn't yet and I wouldn't feel I would have to prepare for it.

EZ

10. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Under medication, you still will do what you are trained to do if you are conscious.

Maybe not as good as normal, but still be able to.

But if you do not train.......

12. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I don't take anything stronger than asprin. I had a steel plate and some scews removed from my ankle about 2006 and I took one vicodin the first night before I fell to sleep, and nothing else after that. I didn't feel any pain so I didn't feel the need. The ankle and foot were numb for 5 days.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

No, I do not train to fight while medicated. I also do not set self on fire to train how to fight while combusting.

I would contend that it is not possible to do so in a meaningful way. The number of possible variations in your physical and mental conditions are so great as to be impossible to relate to real world circumstances.

I can train to shoot and operate a firearm with strong hand/ weak hand not working- I can train to fight/fire from a recumbent position. However, I really do not feel that your original inquiry is reasonable.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

This is why lamoe's will always kick off first... A lamoe is LAst Man On Earth or known as survivalist. You cant do it all yourself. Pronounced lame-oh

There are times when ive been so sick or on prescription meds ive handed my gun to the wife and said "your it".

Best way to deal with it is get a wingman you can trust. You cant go through life as a lamoe...

Survival is a team sport. This applies to surviving the world on day to day basis. Only a suicidal fool goes it alone

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Adrenaline is one of the most powerful medications on earth. Adrenaline is free and your body will release it when you are truly threatened. I would not be concerned with medication affecting your ability to defend yourself.

16. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Not being American, I find it a strange way of thinking. I am not having a go, I am trying to understand the thinking. I very rarely think what way I am going to defend myself on or off medication. If I was in a dangerous situation I would then think the best way to get out of it. On the scale of concerns and things to think or worry about its well down my list.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

in my way of thinking, it's just so remote of a possiblity in the grand scheme of things in life of it ever happening. and seriously, how would someone safely train for such a scenario to begin with?

in the unlikely event it were to ever arise and i wasn't able to defend the fortress due to medication, the BG still has my wife to worry about. she wouldn't in the least hesitate in shooting any more than i would.

18. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

My view of things is that as you go through life, there are MANY things throughout EVERY day that you cannot control. To some extent, your life is governed by luck, fate, whatever you want to call it. You simply cannot control it, so to even think of trying is silly, it'll drive you nuts. Sounds to me that even if there is a very definite event coming up, what is the likelihood that anything bad will happen, even in a month.

As I've said before, if you feel that worried or insecure about your surroundings, you need to MOVE!

19. orangello

orangello New Member

Interesting question! I do enjoy inebriation and fairly frequently; when I do so, all firearms are out of reach, so I guess my first reaction would be to throw a beer bottle or liquor bottle at the assailant. I'm not saying I wouldn't grab a firearm for defense due to my own inebriation, but I am saying that it probably wouldn't be the first thing I would attempt to bash the buzzkill with.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  20. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Now medicated for YOUR safety. :D;)