AA12 Fully Auto Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Threetango, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The AA-12 is heavy and slow. I can put much more volume of fire on target with my Saiga. I can put 10 rounds of 12 ga OO buckshot on target in 1.8 seconds with my Saiga. That is a little more than 2700 rounds per minute cyclic rate!

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

i agree with robocop.

shotguns arent frontline troop go to war they are special use in warfare in a specialized role. semi autos and pumps are far more useful its why the military doesnt use them in full auto. they use shotguns to do a very specific task

the aa12 is a fun toy but thats all it really is... a toy

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Robo, i think your math is off a bit. 10 rounds in 1.8 seconds equals 333.333 rounds per minute.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I think he is counting pellets.

6. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Like JonM says, shotguns have a limited role. They are great breach and trench guns in war. Up close and personal. Trench guns were a thing of WW1. Did you know that the Germans complained about US using shotguns against them? They thought it was barbaric. Well, anyways, most battles in Afghanistan are hundreds of meters away. Shotguns are useless for most of the battles with the Taliban. Cool grownup toy though....:D

7. I don't have an AA-12 but I do own a USAS-12, its 'older cousin' if you will.
    They both have the same basic constant-recoil design and weigh within a few ounces of each other so most of the traits of the USAS-12 will carry over to the AA-12, so......

They're both heavy, and I do mean heavy, 12 pounds empty and close to 15 loaded with drum magazines.
    They are unwieldy, over a foot tall and close to a foot wide depending on if using a stick or drum magazine.
    They have limited range, it's a shotgun after all.
    Neither is quick to reload and the magazines are very bulky to carry (think of a foot long 2x4 and you've got the dimensions about right.)

I carried the USAS-12 on a few outings, and I'll be perfectly honest; the added 3 to 10 round capacity did not make up for the added bulk and weight.

Lastly, if you really, really want something like the AA-12 (and it would need a complete redesign to go from open bolt to closed) then you can always purchase a USAS-12. They run about three grand and a tax stamp.

If you just want a hi-cap semiauto shotgun, get a Saiga, it's the better choice.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  8. readygirl

readygirl New Member

When my oldest Brother was in Iraq, he said they used Mossberg pumps to shoot off locked door handles, and clear confined spaces.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

the military uses mosberg 590, remington 870, and the benelli M4

10. 1911love

1911love New Member

Jon, what branch uses the 870? Army-590a1, Marines-1014 IIRC.

11. Threetango

Believe me, I have experience with breaching and the shotgun is used quite often in Afghanistan and other combat areas. Not for distance battles but searching( entering) dwellings and clearing windows and stairwells and they definitely are not useless but an asset for up close work as all fighting is not "long distance".
    I have back ground in this in Mogadishu for the same purpose and would have been very happy to have one these AA12's instead of the Winchester pump I carried.
    Nothing personal towards anyone but it's amazing how many experts there are who have never seen the elephant and you can throw up all the stats and numbers you want. My point was only to show what an improvement this weapon would be, not to say it was the best.
    http://www.nellaware.com/blog/seeing-the-elephant.html

[​IMG]

12. hoovco

hoovco New Member

That thing would suck to carry. Plus all the ammo for it? No thanks. An M4 packs 240 rounds a lot nicer than that does.

13. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Hey Tango,
    Interesting picture. My cousin Joey is a former marine. He saved in Somalia. My friend and hunting brother was also there, but was artillery in the Bundeswehr. I totally agree with the usage of shotguns being used even today for breaching. They can clear a room. I was not trying to diss you in anyway in regards to the
    AA12. HK was trying to get a contract with the US military for a close quarter weapon system back in the 80s, but it was cancelled. The CAWs was ahead of it's time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_HK_CAWS I bet it would have made your missions much easier.

Oh, what is up with the local in the picture? Too blurry.

14. Threetango

No offense taken.

The local was loading Khat ( narcotic drug of choice) for the skinnies who would start chewing it in the morning and by about 3 pm they had a bad attitude and would shoot at anything.
    The only thing I can figure on the blur is the sun may have been reflecting on the camera.
    Here's a different pic of the shotgun with me on the left.
    Barrel was only 18 inches and it came with a heat shroud and bayonet lug.
    Our unit had a liberal TO&E.
    For target practice with the shotgun we would go down to the Indian ocean and throw meat out and shoot at sharks.

This was at the port before going downtown Mogadishu.

[​IMG]