a2 vrs a3

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by johnrhino123, Mar 12, 2012.

1. johnrhino123

johnrhino123 New Member

just wondering about the diff. between a2 and a3. ive seen that the a3 bca has a lot less parts. thanks getting great info here for my first build

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

As far as the M16 goes the M16A3 is exactly the same as the M16A2 except its select fire mode is full auto instead of 3-round burst. No other difference, and neither is a flat top - the M16A4 has that distinction, it has the top rail for removable carry handle/sights/etc.

That terminology should have been used for commercial AR-15s but instead A3 and A4 both are used for flat tops. And A1 and A2 for receivers with integrated carry handles. Today most people want the flexibility of the flat top.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Q, respectable knowledge of the cool stuff.

I want a civilian A1 or a XM177. Two of the coolest ever built.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's me, Fairly Reliable Bob... :D

I've gotta agree on those two, mucho coolianto!

5. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Yeah, and some of the manufacturers are starting to take the forward assist off the flat tops.

6. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

That's a marketing thing. It helps lower they cost opening sales to a more people.

7. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Don't need it anyway.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

yes and no. I go back and forth. When it comes down to it I would rather have one and not need it.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I dunno, but I almost always use my FA. I let my wife and friends shoot my ARs and its really comes in handy when taking a peek in the chamber to see if there's a live round in there. I dunno about you guyz but I always do a chamber check when someone hands me a rifle (if the bcg out of battery)

10. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Due to a few of the catastrophic failures I have seen that have been attributed to the forward assist, I would rather not have the temptation in front of me. Yes I know the odds are low it would happen, but the cost of a round verses the damage that could happen made my decision an easy one. Better to eject the round altogether.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I use it for chamber checks as well. It's kinda like having a comfort blanket.

I understand and feel the same way. I almost always eject the round if there is a problem.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive been unable to locate a flat top upper without a fa. i just dont like it sticking out there gets in the way and find it about as useful as taking dieting advice from rosie odonnell...

13. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

There are a few out there: Fulton Armory, DPMS, Yellow Logic, S&W.

14. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

I know we have gotten off topic with discussing the F/A. My fault entirely. If someone is upset about it, I apologize.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

16. johnrhino123

johnrhino123 New Member

that brings up another question from this newbie. could someonr explain fwrd assist
    thx