a tactical pen??? really???

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by marlin-owner, Nov 13, 2012.

1. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/tactical-pens

there is the link to the site that sells tactical fighting pens... yes, writing pens... does this seem ridiculous to anybody else? that would never work! say a meth head is coming at you with an illegal gun, or a knife? you think his numb body would feel you poking at him with your fancy pen? doubtful, buy a knife with the same amount that your pen cost.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, i noticed a cop client of ours using one. I see no problem with having a device designed with a secondary purpose of stabbing that doesn't meet any legal definitions for a "knife".

It's kinda like the jack handle that fits so nicely in my car's door pocket; it will help change a tire or change a robber's mind (floorjack handle/2' steel pipe).

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I know someone who has one. I wouldn't mind having one, either. But I see they don't come in pink. :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  4. magnumman

magnumman New Member

The guy at the lgs had some s&w pens. He said they are allowed on planes as of now.... Until big sis reads this post

5. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

seems kinda funky to me... a fighting pen. i would rather have a knife in self defense.

6. DrJason

DrJason New Member

Those have been around for years.

I agree with what a couple of the other guys said, might be nice to have as a secondary or tertiary weapon....especially in those circumstances when or where you can't carry.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I've got a Mil-Tac tactical pen. Looks and writes just like any other pen but has that element of surprise when the situation does not allow for access to a firearm...keep mine in my desk at work.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not intended so much as a fighting weapon...real purpose is as a last defense weapon in situations where nothing else is available beyond hand-to-hand.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I also like to keep some tactical snot handy this time of year; mess with me in a unarmed situation, and i will send a mucous missile your way if that is all i have. ;)

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I could see how it would hurt like hell to get hit in the temple with one of those, but I'd rather stick with 230 grains of instant act right. :D

11. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Yah, when they show up at Dollar General I will get one. Hell, when they are $1 each I might buy 5.

12. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

S&W makes pens.

13. ajbeau

ajbeau New Member

tactical pen

someone once said "the pen is mightier than the sword. It is true,
    ask any legislator.!

14. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I travel internationally for my company. Most of the places I go are very safe as long as I stay in my hotel or a very nearby restaurant. But if I go out for any personal entertainment I am at risk.

TSA doesn't see 230 gr of act right quite the same way we do. Hell, I had them take away one of the items in my toiletries kit. It was that tiny 1" long "knife" that is barely adequate for cutting the thin plastic cover off a can of shoe shine. Comes in a set of 4 items also including tweezers, toe nail clippers and fingernail clippers. You could cut your finger clean off with that "sword" ... but only if you applied it with a 5 lb sledge! I have butter knives are MUCH sharper than this was. If they won't let that useless piece of galvanized junk through, they certainly won't allow any useful edged weapon.

Until I got my tactical pen, my only defensive weapon was my key ring that I keep on the end of a short lanyard in my pocket. The keys could be used as a flail. Now I carry two defensive weapons even when traveling internationally.

Yeah, I'd love to be able to carry my sidearm to Japan or Korea or Brazil. But that's probably not going to happen in my lifetime. So, I make the best I can of a bad situation.

15. marlin-owner

marlin-owner New Member

i see how it can be useful. they are not classified as weapons. there pens made of really hard metal you can defend yourself with. i would love to see on the news, such and such wards off attacker with a pen... its a good idea...

16. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Classy, like calf tattoos. Hahahahaa

Reminds me of a scene in some stupid show my parents watched. Li'l kid in bathroom using urinal, two other kids walk in and, seen as a threat, the first one turns toward them and warns them that his "weapon" is loaded and ready. Pretty sure he then pees on them, seems like a great defense to me. If nothing else it'll be one of those "What the hell just happened" moments, stunning your attacker(s) briefly, giving you time to take other defensive or evasive actions.

17. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

These things are just a novelty. Any pen or pencil can be used as a "last ditch" self-defensive tool. If you're going to have a pen on ya anyway and you enjoy the novelty of spending too much money on something no more useful than the apendix, this product is for you.

Personally, I'd rather do the good old groin kick, follwed by an eye gouge, then stand there, admire your handy work, call the cops and wait. That is unless the crying was too bothersome for ya, then perhaps some shopping is in order. "Pen or pencil" a note with your cell to the perps chest, for the cops, then go grab some gelato or softserve.

18. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Smith and Wesson makes one with a fire striker. 25 bucks on amazon

19. mdauben

mdauben New Member

The idea is the pen is a low profile backup weapon in situations where you can't carry a gun or knife. As for its usefulness, try googling kubotan or yawara stick. It can be very useful for striking or various joint locks or pain compliance if you know how.

And yes, it will be less effective on a attacker pumped up on drugs... but so will a knife or gun.

Schrade Pink Tactical Pen :p

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0026W8ICM.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Yesss......thank you. I think I might buy one of those some day when my finances are a little less tight. I also like the idea of the tactical pen with a fire striker.

I disagree that any pen can be used as a weapon. I think most plastic pens would crack and be ineffective as a weapon. And I do have a metal barreled pen but I don't think it would make as effective a stabbing weapon as a true tactical pen.