A Suggestion for my brother

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by TrangTuan, Aug 15, 2013.

1. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

Howdy,

Well my little brother start getting into shooting since i insist him lol. He wanna start with a handgun.

he have 2 in mind.

1. Rossi .357 Revolver with a 4" barrel.

2. 1911 Pisol in .22lr

What's your idea? For fun shooting and maybe home defense.

2. TrangTuan

TrangTuan New Member

I already know the .357 is good for both senerio, but my little brother still want people opinion lol.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Revolver--------------------

4. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

2nd the motion....

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Just so happens :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

First time gun buyers I will always suggest a revolver. So much simpler and safer to understand and operate than an auto. Once the trigger finger is trained, then they can move onto things with more buttons and doodads

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Are you also set on the Rossi? Rugers also make some nice revolvers that are in the same ballpark for cost.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree with the revoler.

It can shoot mild .38 Specials and hard hitting .357 Magnums. That way, if he wants more punch one day when he's a little more experienced, he doesn't need a different gun right away.

Simple design, is IMO, the best for new shooters.

Revolver 100%

There IS something to be said for learning on a .22, I admit. But I still say wheel gun, first choice.

9. txpossum

txpossum New Member

.22 revolver. .22 so he can afford enough ammo to practice, practice, practice.

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

And prefered by some of us experienced shooters as well.

11. rickster

rickster New Member

Go with the revolver.

12. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Are those really your only two choices? Just curious how you came to that selection considering the vast range of firearms and price ranges. I'll avoid throwing in a different choice though and assume you have your reasons.

Your two choices are at odds with your needs. The revolver is going to be better for home defense and the .22 1911 is going to be great for plinking. Either would do for home defense in a pinch and some gun is better than none, but the revolver is a MUCH better choice in a defensive situation.

With that in mind, I would take it and maybe use .38 Special for training and general fun shooting. That will require some additional cleaning but I see that as no big deal since I already shoot Tula through my .45 and deal with the additional cleaning as a trade off for cheaper ammo.

In a life or death situation though I'd much rather have the .357 Magnum over a .22 LR, which is why I'm recommending it.

The .22 will be more fun to shoot, but that seems like a much lower priority to me.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I respectfully disagree about the Rossi.

It's a fine revolver, but a bit much for a new

shooter.

The 22LR 1911 is interesting. If he gets the 45 that

can be modded to a 22LR, he can use the .45 for

SD, in a pinch.

There are a lot of nice 22 revolvers out there.

most shoot 22LR, 22, and 22s ammo.:cool: