A Sudden Change In Heart!

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by DodgeThis, Jan 5, 2012.

1. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

OK, so you may have read some of my other threads. If so, you will know that I am fond of both, revolvers and pistols. Also, I currently carry a Kahr cw-40. I have also carried other pistols and wheel guns too. And yes, just recently, I had decided, so I thought, on getting a Colt Defender for primary carry and a Sig P-238 for a BUG. The reasoning was to have a set that were to be very similar set ups. Therefore, if I pull one, I'll be operating it properly from muscle memory. As apposed to a DAO primary and SAO BUG. I feel like in a high stress situation, I'd just #### it all up and wind up getting myself in a worse predicament.
    Well I made quite a fun trip up to the range (outdoor) with my dad this past weekend. And since, I've been dwelling on an issue. We're both well versed in all sorts of firearms. No, we're not experts by any means, but very savy though. We thought of some drills with our carry guns. (Mine=Kahr cw-40/His=4" 38+P). Even as much as I've practiced over the years, I still found myself fumbling around with my pistol when (without me looking) he set me up with different malfunctions to clear in high tensity setups. There were various scenarios, and yes I knew exactly what to do, but with an adrinaline rush, these things become an issue that I always thought I was prepared for. Turns out I'm not. After seeing the way he flew through his drills (obviously less scenarios to run with a wheel gun), I decided to try it out with his. Given that I haven't carried a revolver in over a year, nor practiced with one, I nailed it.
    I guess the point of this is that I have decided to give thought toward the revolvers again. I'm looking at a perminant decision here to go with a wheel gun. Everyone knows that they're much simpler. But I just feel so natural with a revolver in my hands. I still love my pistols and will still have pistols to have and to shoot, but I think it's going to boil down to me stick ing with a wheelie for carrying. I know that I could practice to get better with these drills. And I know that my pistlo has'nt ever jammed, but I don't want it to happen at the worst time posible and not be able to take care of the issue. Am I over reacting? Should I stick with my original plans, or should I go with the "GUT FEELING"? No, I am not asking for the revolver vs. semi-auto battle to be relived.
    Thank you for your opinions.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Go with what feels right to you, be it a gut feeling, or a strong desire plus more training. What do you shoot better, and what are you honestly more comfortable with?

3. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

To be honest, I'm more comfortable with a DAO with no safety than a SA with safety. Plus I pick up the revolver much more naturally. I guess it's time that it's meant to be. I just don't want to go that route and be it a mistake. But simplicity is a plus.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Being comfortable, accurate, and proficient with your chosen side arm is never a mistake.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Being accurate and fast is most important with whatever you choose.

Try jamming a piece of cloth into the cylinder of a revolver simulating a piece of clothing doing that and see how long it takes to clear...

Whichever platform you pick it can fail. Ccw is a dirty environment and things can get stuck in a cylinder or slide however its dealt with you need to be proficient

6. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

For CCW a .44 mag is just too big.

For CCW a .357 mag is awfully big too, so you would always need to keep your jacket on. Not any fun.

For CCW any semi-auto works, and you can wear it in a number of different concealed places. On the heavy side, I think the .45 ACP or the 9mm are both perfect. Or you can go lighter.

For a CCW ankle gun as a backup, I would go with a smaller semi-auto, like a Walther .380 or P22.

7. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I still have another year before I can carry,but I feel that my sp101 is very concealable. Sure I give up the standard 6 shot cylinder for a 5 shot cylinder,but I think even with the 3 inch barrel its very slim and small overall. Its what i intend to carry when i get my permit,as it feels better in my hand than autos to me,and i personally feel more confident with it as opposed to a auto of similar size. But yes most other .357's are much larger.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  8. Glock27SC

Glock27SC New Member

I'm with shoobee it's better to have the biggest caliber in the smallest way possible I have a44 that I wish would concelead better but it doesn't I have a two different guns that I use on a daily basics I carry a Glock 27 40 caliber and 30 .45 caliber both of them are you perfect size I don't need to have a jacket. I can wear relaxed in the summer and winter I wear them with the crossbreed super tuck holster (the best holster for ccw) so think about what you are giving up. I mean I like revolvers but for every day carry I use my pistols.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using FirearmsTalk

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Edit: got tired and went off on a wild rant.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Edit: same as above, but feel the need to point out I carry (concealed, usually) a full size K frame. It ain't easy, but its doable.

A person has to be able to score hits and be proficient with their side arm, otherwise they may as well carry an unloaded gun, which we all know is nothing more than an awkward club.

11. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

Well, if I decide to go with a wheel gun, it'll be either a 38 or a 357. I'm looking at either a 2" or a 3". I really like the looks of a Ruger, but the grips don't do it for me. I haven't picked one up with aftermarket grips, but I know that Taurus and S&W tend to have more comgortable grips. I also don't liek the poly revolveers. I prefer not to go with the alloy or titanium. I want the weight of the steel. So no Bodyguard or LCR. No Ultralite or Airweight. I would like to have the single action ability, probably have the hammer bobbed for less snag, but I would like to be able to keeep the SA there if I want it. 5 shot capacity is where I'm leaning for more concealability. I'm completely open to suggestions. Charter Arms, Taursu, S&W, Etc.? Also keep in mind that I'll be looking to apply some laser grips. I have been kind of interested in the Smith J frame model 36 in 3". However it doesn't say that it's +P rated, do you know if it's safe to put a steady diet of +P through it?

12. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Well if u go revolver,skip the .38 and go straight to .357 and shoot both. But I have my sp101 with a 3" barrel in .357. I agree the stock gripes aren't comfortable... but its a 15 dollar fix,pick up some houge grips and your golden. Not only do they feel better in the hand but it helps distribute the recoil very well and frankly helped me shoot the gun better. If You go that route you wont regret it. I like the sp101 in 3" bc Its small enough to conceal yet its not limited to only that,it would make a great pack,camp,or truck gun.

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

.357 for sure. No reason not to as it shots .38 also. Mail me the hammer and I'll shorten for ya.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Might as well go with the .357 mag then, if you can handle the recoil.

The .38 is a girl's gun.

15. phburks

phburks New Member

Not necessarily. My daily carry piece is a snubnose Taurus 605 .357 magnum. I wear it IWB and I barely notice its even there.

ForumRunner_20120107_080813.jpg

16. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

Exactly, this is what it is all about.

17. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Yep, carrying a gun that you are not 100% comfortable carrying and shooting is a recipe to disaster.

18. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

Ok, so I did pick up a 101 3" today with houge grips. That made a world of difference in the feel of it. I like the weight of it for more comfort against the felt recoil and I don't feel that it's going to be an issue for carrying as all my revolvers have been steel. I'm appreciating the opinions here.
    I hit alot of shops today and almost made a trade, cw40 for a Taurus 85. It was NIB and even swap, so I didn't feel like it was tyhat bad of a deal. I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of my pistol. I think I'll wait until I've saved up enough "she" money to bring something new home. That'll give me a little while longer to decide on what it's going to be.
    Right now I'm not looking to break hte bank. I just want a good carry piece. I am planning to have a fancier set up later on down the road though. Below are the options I've about narrowed it down to.

Smith and Wesson Model 36 3" 38spl $359
    Model 442/642 38spl $349
    Taurus Model 65 357mag/38spl $349
    Ruger Model sp101 357mag/38spl $639
    Charter Arms Model Mag Pug 357mag/38spl $379

I'd prefer to stay away from CA just because they're not as common and I could foresee that coming back to bite me in the but. I'd also prefer to stay away from the Ruger due to the pricing. Also, the 642/442 isn't as appealing due to the light weight and the fact that it doesn't have an external hammer like I like. Yes I know that a hammer will be a snag, but I also know that I'll be bobbing the spur too. So, truth be told I'm leaning mostly toward the 36 because of the 3" and Taurus only offers a 2 and 2 1/2 or 4. I'm not keeping a closed mind on the others, but this is how it's looking so far.
    Still yet, if you have any other suggestions and/or ideas, just let me know.
    Thanks!

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

I did some work on a 36 just a little while back, the same job I did on my 65, and downsouth can attest to how well it turned out.

I'll give you a discount, I charged the deputy who owned the 36 $50, I'll do the same for you for...well, send me a PM if your interested. Heck with it, I need the practice, I'll do it cheap.

20. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

That rugers way overpriced,I picked mine up 529 new OTD. keep shopping around for an sp101 while u save a bit more if that's what you really like. Think about buying online as well.