a sophisticated heat beam called a "laser"

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by hawkguy, Aug 5, 2014.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

so, who used a laser on a pistol? (or any firearm).

i'm not looking for recommendations....just curious about your thoughts on using a laser in general. are they easy to use? fast? accurate? visible?

anyone here a big fan of using lasers? anyone here think they are a waste of time and money? i have NO experience.

this video made me interested. skip to about 3:00 for the short version (4:30 for the shooting part).

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHw_3ygZrbM[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. hawkguy

couldn't resist......

Attached Files:

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i can see where they could be a useful training tool to help people with learning to shoot accurately.

batteries have a finite lifespan. be sad to put so much faith in something to have it not work when you needed it most.

as an aid to help improve shooting skills, or an addition to supplement your fundamental skills, i can see it being an asset. but total reliance upon a gimmick rather that learning the fundamentals of shooting and using sights, i see it as less than effective and a liability.

4. hawkguy

this is kind of what i expected to hear. that makes perfect sense.

have you ever used them, axxe? what was your overall impression? my only experience was with a friends laser on his glock....a friend who didn't know how to sight his in.....heh. :p

if i got one, i would never substitute it for shooting with my standard sights. i would practice both of course. but the idea is appealing to me at the moment.

i always thought of lasers as a bit of a "toy" or "gimmicky".....but i have seen quite a few videos lately touting their use in SD....and they seem to make a good point. they seem to be very quick and you don't have to line up sights to shoot accurately (so shooting from the hip or in tight quarters might be more accurate). i could also see a laser dot on the body of a BG as a serious DETERRENT to a potential problem. :p

of course, the only SD options would be the models where they come on when you grip them....if you have to mess with a switch, that might be bad.

just thinking out loud here and looking for input from those more knowledgeable and experienced than myself (as usual). thanks.

5. Axxe55

i have used them a few times in the past, but was not impressed enough or felt i needed them enough to justify buying one.

they may serve a useful purpose for some, but not for me. i would never tell someone they don't need one or they do need one. each person needs to decide for themselves, in their own unique situations whether one would be an asset or a liability.

as for being a deterrent, it could be also argued if the mere presence of the gun wasn't enough, it's likely having a laser isn't going to deter much more. kind of see that more in movies and TV. i'd like to see some real world reports of where a laser was a criminal deterrent.

6. hawkguy

good point, 100% true.

7. Axxe55

my own father asked me for my opinions about a laser for his S&W he carries daily. i told him pretty much the same things have posted in this thread. he decided against spending the money getting a laser for it.

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i aggree with axxe. for training purposes they can be helpful if used properly. one of the things to remember is you are supposed to be focused on your front sight when shooting.. not at a tiny dot on your target. also, something to consider, lasers are straight as straight can be from point a to point b.. a bullet does not fly directly along a lasers axis.. just like sights... it will only be accurate at one prespeciffied point in its travels.

9. hawkguy

i could see where constant use of a laser might make one "lazy," and stop focusing on their fundamentals. but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. you could always just turn the laser off when you wanted to.

as for the bullet not traveling like a laser...well, imo it seems that applies to basically everything in shooting (iorns, scopes, red dots, etc). all will have different points of impact at different distances, right? the shooter must know the POI change at various distances using almost any optic or sight.

the gunblast guy showed how the laser could have advantages in certain situations....seems to make sense. i'm not saying it is the right thing for every situation, but it might have some real advantages.

honestly, i don't know since i don't have any real experience with them.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

We used lasers overseas... It was part of our EOF.. If they don't stop after seeing the laser the next step is to fire.. So yeah idk. Like you said might work for some and not others.. Try to borrow one before buying maybe.

11. hawkguy

true...but anything you buy, you can also normally return in 30 days....that's long enough to test it quite a bit....:)

my wife agrees i might be due a "reward" for the "honey do's" this summer. :p i suppose i might just come back and add my own thoughts to this thread. :cool:

guess you can never really know, till you know. thanks for your input!

12. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

When I was just getting into shooting a mere few years ago, a laser helped me figure out that it wasn't that every gun I bought was broken, I was just that bad. After diagnosing my problem was a horrendous flinch, I at least had something to try and correct. I'm proud to say I've progressed from god awful to just really, really bad thanks in part to the laser. There did come a point fairly quickly though that the laser felt like crutch and became a hindrance to improving my skills.

For HD, I can see how it would be useful. There's something to be said for being dead accurate from the hip or any awkward position you may find yourself in.

If nothing else, they're kind of fun, but for the reasons stated above I've shelved mine. I'm sure I'll drag it out again someday when I'm more confident in my basic ability.

13. Axxe55

everyone needs to evaluate whether they truly need one and if it would be of benefit to them for their purposes.

for myself, i have used a few in the past, and actually found them to be distracting in shooting accurately. this why i never bought one. i suggest if someone is thinking about them is to try one out and see if a laser on their firearm is an asset or a liability.

some people aso put them on shotguns and rifles for SD purposes.

14. trigger643

trigger643 New Member

I have had CT grips on my daily carry, a 340pd, for quite a few years now. They get a fresh battery once a year when I change the batteries on my smoke detectors and flash lights. It has never failed.

I have never used it as a training aid. I have never used it in a practical shooting event. I have no intention of using it as a deterrent, just as I have no intention of using a handgun for a deterrent.

I have never practiced 'brandishing a firearm'. I was trained and practice defensive shooting. My carry weapon is a defensive tool to be used once drawn and as a sighting aid in low light, the CT grips excel.

The laser is an excellent sighting aid in low light. It paints the target immediately upon taking a firm hold of the grip. No switches to fumble with. That's what I bought it for and that's how I use it and intend to use it. I can't but recommend this product for someone seeking an additional advantage if they have trained for type of scenario.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

They seem pretty impressive on TV but TV aint real life!

I love my tech toys but try really hard to avoid needing them when it comes to the important things. Ive had scopes in the past but never found them to be all that useful and I rarely shoot a distance that one would be needed. Its probably a great training tool but Ive noticed things like flashlights and other battery powered widgets always seem to not work the second you really need them most. If your even slightly dependent on a laser to accurately engage as an SD carrier, thats likely not a good thing.

16. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

They seem pretty impressive on TV but TV aint real life!

I love my tech toys but try really hard to avoid needing them when it comes to the important things. Ive had scopes in the past but never found them to be all that useful and I rarely shoot a distance that one would be needed. Its probably a great training tool but Ive noticed things like flashlights and other battery powered widgets always seem to not work the second you really need them most. If your even slightly dependent on a laser to accurately engage as an SD carrier, thats likely not a good thing.

17. hawkguy

and if you just want it to shoot soda cans? :p

seriously, if someone is dependent, yet extremely proficient at using a laser for SD, explain to me what is wrong with that exactly? :confused:

18. Axxe55

the only problem with that scenario is what if the laser malfunctions or the batteries are dead when it's needed most?

batteries have a finite lifespan. how long they last in a laser? IDK.

one member mentioned he replaces his once a year when he replaces his smoke detector batteries. this seems like a good suggestion and a method that he can rely upon for the most part that he will have functioning batteries.

IMO, a laser should not be a substitute for learning how to use sights on a firearm properly, but an addition or aid to using them.

19. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i have a good friend who carrys a little kahr 380 and with out the laser on it you are hard pressed to get any where near what you are trying to hit.
    i personally do not use lasers but i have seen them put to good use for speed getting on target quickly.
    i personally find it harder to aquire the laser thats my experience with it.

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a laser on my issued TASER. I do not sight with the laser. I use the fixed sights. The laser is just to get folks to calm down (or else). It is fun the exercise the cats though!