A smaller built guy needs a concealable handgun.

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by fa35jsf, Aug 9, 2012.

1. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Well I am looking to buy my first concealable handgun but I have doubts on whether I will actually be able to conceal it. Let me give y'all a quick rundown of my situation:
    I am 6' and weigh 170 lbs and am slim (not really any fat.)
    I live in Texas so it is very hot during the summer.
    Being in Texas I cannot "print" or show any outline of the firearm.
    During summer I usually wear a t-shirt and cargo shorts.

Basically I am looking for a gun that I can carry keeping in mind the above issues. The gun needs to cost under $600 and in either a 9mm or .45ACP. I already own a 1911 but there is no chance I will be able to conceal that. I have shot a Glock before and WITHOUT starting an argument, I don't prefer them (maybe I just need to shoot one a few more times). So does anybody have any suggestions they would like to share on which gun you think might work for me or perhaps ways I could conceal one.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, summer and cargo shorts, I still use a S&W Mdl 36 revolver- fits in pocket of cargo shorts.

However, you may want to check out an IWB tuck type holster- something like this- [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGzxGifAUEQ&feature=related[/ame] And while that IS a glock they make them for different guns.

Attached Files:

• para.jpg
      para.jpg
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:

3. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Yeah I found the tread on this website called Show your CCW Setup and noticed that several people have found ways to carry their full size 1911's making me interested in whether or not I can make it work for me. Does anyone else have and other good ideas for smaller carry guns?

4. gollygee

gollygee New Member

If the t-shirt is loose fitting, shouldn't be a problem. I am a bit smaller than you at 5'9" & 160 lbs, wear a loose fitting button up shirt & can carry a full size 1911, but prefer a light weight commander size because of the weight.

I carry OWB but if your tees are too short, you might try IWB. I hear of folks carrying in their pocket with cargo shorts, but I'd think you'd want to go really small & light in that case. Be sure to use a pocket holster not only for safety & ease of drawing, but to prevent printing.

5. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

6. rurak

rurak New Member

I just picked up a Ruger lc9 with an iwb holster. Works for me. Im 6'1 250

7. fmj

fmj Active Member

Kel tec PF-9 is my summer gun.

1911's are slim enough profile to be concealable...but the PF-9 easily disappears in the pocket of cargo shorts, or with an IWB holster.

[​IMG]

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Im 5'8 160lbs and i conceal a fullsize 1911 no problem,even with just shorts and a T shirt. The right holster makes all the difference

FaceGoo-2012-07-11-13-57-53.jpg

FaceGoo-2012-07-11-14-02-33.jpg

20120810_095300-1.jpg

9. fapprez

fapprez New Member

I'm 6' 200lbs and carry a S&W 637 In 38+p. It's not a 9mm but, in +p, it's still a respectable round........I think.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ruger LCR in 357.

Remora "No Clip" Holster.

If you can't conceal that rig, you shouldn't carry! :p

[​IMG]

Call Jacqui at Remora 239-207-0602 and tell her canebrake said hi.

I'm a big Remora fan.

[​IMG]

The Ruger is appendix carried and the 1911's are kidney carried. The x2 mag pouch holds my xtra mag and my EDC knife.

All are No-Clip, Non-Slip Concealment Holsters, put 'em where you want.

It's the kindest thing I do to my guns. [​IMG]

11. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I S&W J Frame will disapear in a pocket holster. So will a Kahr CM9. I carry a CM9 as my daily gun. You could carry that with cargo shorts and no shirt!

12. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Simple...apply the condom principle and stay away from anything with the word "Magnum" in the title.

Leave these for us "bigger" guys...:D

Tack

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

when i really need to hide a gun i carry my colt new agent. 7+1 capacity ultra light ultraslim still a 1911. its got no traditional sights to hang up on anything or get knocked loose.

8 shots 7yds

[​IMG]

14. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

My friend James is a smaller guy with little fingers he runs with this bikes n takes it every were I don't care for it the other hole is to small for me its a ruger lcp 380 in a wallet holster if u want massive stopping power probly not the gun u want. When i say smaller he's 5'6" n a twig lol

Attached Files:

15. Thr33FiftyS3v3n

Thr33FiftyS3v3n New Member

S&W Airweight 38. Great stopping power, accurate, reliable, abd very concealable

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Really? NO one got the magnum joke? Hmm, guess none of you guys have needed them either...:p

Tack

17. rurak

rurak New Member

I used one once........ it fell off inside........ i just kept going. I figured once its not on me its her problem now! The good old days.

18. Theblakester

Theblakester New Member

Go to a sporting/outdoor store. Ask to hold different brands/models. Narrow down your choices to the few that u like best. Then go to a shooting range and shoot/experiment with each of your favorites that u held at the store. the one that feels the best to shoot is the one that u might want to go with. Glock 26, M&P shield, ruger lc9, Springfield xd sub compact to name a few. I carry a glock 27(27 is .40 cal and 26 is 9mm but they're physically the same size) and I'm in Houston and wear the same thing as u most of the time. I'm 6ft 180lbs. My t-shirts aren't oversized at all (large "athletic fit") and I carry IWB just behind my right hip at about 4 o'clock. The only problem I have is if my shirt is too short and I bend over or raise my arms, my shirt might catch on the butt of the pistol, but printing while walking etc isn't a problem. Good luck.

19. Thr33FiftyS3v3n

Thr33FiftyS3v3n New Member

Another option to look into is a Walther PPS in 9mm.... great carry gun and fits in your parameters