A sad day for motorsports..

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by UrbanNinja, May 11, 2012.

1. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

RIP. One of the greats. :(

3. fmj

fmj New Member

I was a HUGE fan!!

Sad day for sure. :( One the truly great pioneers in auto sports.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm bawling now...

5. opaww

opaww New Member

That is sad to no end

6. orangello

orangello New Member

I wonder if he was either surprised or disappointed that he wasn't killed in a car accident or by an angry ex-wife?

7. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

You know what.. ive never thought of that. He built some of the fastest, most beautiful cars in the world. And yet, he never got hurt in one..

8. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

Definately a sad day here. Aside from being a Blue Oval fan forever and a charter member of Ford Racing, I've been a huge Shelby fan for as long as the cars have been around. My dream ride is a 1968 GT500KR convertable. I doubt that I can ever afford one, but if able to choose between anything, that would be the one.

This man epitomized the American dream and what someone can be capable of. He rose from nothing to everything and never lost his humanity. His biography, which I read a while back, was quite an interesting read.

God speed, Carroll. :(

9. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Not a ford man, yet a sad sad day for them. I did respect that man for his amazing cars.

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

He worked for more than just Ford. I believe he had a helping hand in a muscle car from each of the big 3.

11. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I didn't know that, but I know what he did do was always awesome.

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Godspeed Carroll. I knew you when.

Donzi Marine, of Sarasota FL, created a special limited-edition 22-foot (7 m) speedboat (only 50 were made), based on their Classic line of boats in collaboration with Carroll Shelby. The boat is known as the Donzi Shelby 22 GT. This project has been in place since the 2007 model year and is currently the only boat ever to wear the Shelby name.​

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  13. trip286

trip286 New Member

Do NOT take that as the gospel, but I'm pretty sure he had his hand on a lot of different projects, possibly something Italian too.

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just Ford and Chrysler.

15. canebrake

canebrake New Member

While a racer in the '50s he drove for the Cad-Allard, Aston Martin, and Maserati teams.

He competed in Formula One in 1958 in a Maserati 250F and an Aston Martin DBR4/250 in 1959.

He hill climbed a Ferrari and won the 1959 Le Mans race in an Aston Martin.

16. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I really enjoy his Chili mix. Makes a good Chili.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I had the great honor of knowing Carroll when I worked in racing back in the late '80's. One Hell of a great man and surprisingly humble as well. May he rest forever in the driver's seat of the lead car.....

18. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

R.I.P. Carroll Shelby. Heaven's race track now has some competition.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llAvYn0m8VQ[/ame]

19. tri70

tri70 New Member

I heard from a buddy that has a new Mustang, he would sign autographs for making donations to his childrens charities. If you sent him a part in the mail with a donation, he would sign it. I don't have anything to verify but he sounded like a great person too, not just a famous face of race fans and car lovers.