A question I thought I'd never have to ponder

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by sb3553, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a Ruger Blackhawk 45 skint up from holster wear, missing the front gripframe screw. I called Ruger customer service and they sent me what I needed free of any charge.

I thoroughly enjoy buying "depreciated" guns from private sellers.

2. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

And you would recommend sending a noob out, looking for a private sale?

I have to say, I'm very impressed, with all you guys who find just what you want, at private sales, with great prices, apparently, whenever you want, and no problems. My personal experience, with private firearms sales, has been a little different.
    Selection is poor, I wait months, trying to find anything remotely worth making an offer upon, prices are high, and then IF I'm lucky, the brand is a company like Ruger, who will talk to you, even though you aren't the original owner.

But, I have also been known to go fishing, and admit I caught nothing, during a given day, or week.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020

3. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Location could have somewhat to do with it.
    Here it's not unusual to see a person at a wide spot by the road with a folding table out and several firearms laid out on it for sale. Rifles shotguns and handguns.

The person isnt a dealer and you usually dont see the same person doing so for months at a time.

It's usually someone who inherited several guns or simply needs extra cash selling of a few guns.

4. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes its takes a while to find what were looking for. The trick is, you must be ready when you find it..

kfox75 and Ghost1958 like this.
  5. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Sometimes the prices aren't so great but the 50's 60's and back quality steel and walnut guns, of the past about the only place to find them are estate or other private sales. Gun Dealers, especially those on the Internet will beat everyone to their door these days thwn put them on auction sites where only the rich can afford them.
    I want a few of the old Remingtons, Winchesters, and Springfields, .22 semi autos and bolt guns too. an old Mossberg in lever gun in .45-70 and .444. I don't like the stamped steel Marlin extractors. A whole lotfo guns o where to obtain but by hard searches and luck from a private seller.

6. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Perhaps you need a longer pole??:p

7. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

It's not like that, of course. It's like anything else one might look for from a private sale. Takes patience to find the "right" item. Very often, it can be a decent price, given there aren't dozens of others as in an (online) auction pumping up prices.

As for being a "noob" ... One's ability to discern a problem with a product does depend on knowledge of the unit, it's risk areas, what could go wrong, and knowing how to "read" a gun on a simple field test (disassy, cycling, possible shooting). As with anything else, you either have the experience with the item or you do your homework. Works for cars, lawnmowers, boats and other items; works the same way with firearms.

If by "noob" you mean being "raw" and new to reading situations with others, involving armed people, one can always head to the nearby range to evaluate the item and make the transaction. In the "right" sort of spot, it'll be video recorded, possibly with a RSO and others there, so the relative risk of being "jumped" can be much reduced; though, in practice, there's not really much difference than with other items.

8. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

No, all y'all are trying to tell this noob that a private sale is the way to go.
    Next thing you know, you'll be advocating Mexican carry of a glock to the guy.

The guy openly admits he's a noob, who's considering buying his first gun. You guys are sending him out to try a private purchase, which, for folks with 20 years experience with firearms can be difficult.

But OOOOH! You're technically right...