A question I thought I'd never have to ponder

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by sb3553, Sep 19, 2020.

1. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Owning a gun is NOT the same as carrying a gun. Not everyone who owns a gun carries. Even if you believe in self defense many choose to limit that to home protection.

Then there is the point that carrying a gun does NOT replace situational awareness. Carrying a gun is not ; in of itself , protection. It is a tool to use for self protection, yes. But any self protection starts first with situational awareness.

2. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Again with the "Read this book!"
    Oh vey!

kfox75 likes this.

3. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree. If you are going to carry, situational awareness is PARAMOUNT.

4. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

situational awareness is PARAMOUNT; ALWAYS, carry; don't carry; doesn't matter where you are etc ............ always be aware; always

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  5. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Over the decades carrying a gun has somehow been turned into a mystical quest.
    For those of us who have carried most of 55 yrs or so everyday before " instructors and training schools etc" theres no magic involved.

Its actually pretty simple.
    Decide if you can kill another human being to survive. Because all the niceties aside it may come to that.

If the answer is yes, get a pistol in no less than 9mm. One that you will carry. Everyday.
    Practice enough to get comfortable with and decently good with it as you start. You'll get better faster the more you shoot.
    Learn the SD laws where you are.
    Get a permit if you need one to carry where you are.

Unless your an arrogant butt head and it doesnt sound like you are, carry daily and go about your life.

I've carried most of my life and I'm 62 in a few days. I've had need of a gun 4 times in those years and very glad I had one on me.

JMO but an unarmed person is relying very heavily on a false notion you will likely never need it when nobody has the faintest clue what they may face at any time.

Get one.
    Learn to use it.
    Learn when it's legal to use it.
    Carry it and live your life as you normally would.

It's not rocket science.

kfox75, Hookeye, JTJ and 2 others like this.
  6. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Nobody can know the probability of a situation occurring, of course. Your crystal ball's probably just as defective as mine (and everyone else's).

The only real question is: do you want to rely upon the mercy of the person threatening your murder, on the instant that the threat becomes real? Or would you prefer to have some practical ability to survive it?

Personally, I have zero faith in the supposed mercy of anyone who's prepared to attempt (or threaten) the murder of another.

Life's far easier with the right tools, and it can be downright painful or dangerous without them. (A vehicle, a screwdriver, rope, a sharp knife, defensive arms, a good pair of shoes, ...)

I'd recommend thinking of defensive arms as life-saving tools. It's what they are. And in situations where they're the perfect tool, there are no good alternatives.

Choose accordingly.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  7. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

IDK I bet they made it all the way to the end of their life without needing a gun

8. Trunk Monkey

I'm not going to tell you to buy a gun or not buy a gun that's a decision you're going to have to make.

What I am going to suggest is that you take the NRA basic handgun safety course and that you tell the trainer when you're signing up for the class that you don't own a gun but you're taking the class in anticipation of possibly buying one and ask if he has a gun that you can use for the class.

No matter what I think you'll be able to make a more educated decision

PeeJay1313 likes this.
  9. Rancid

Rancid Well-Known Member Supporter

The NRA handgun safety course is a good idea.
    My two cents is that everybody should own a gun and know how to use it.
    As the saying goes ... better to have one and not need it than need one and not have it.
    But if you have one and don't carry it, odds are about 90% that you won't have it when needed, as you are much more likely to need one when out and about than at home.
    That said, owning and carrying a gun is a huge responsibility ... first for safety (thoroughly knowing that gun and how to carry it safely as well as general gun safety), next that it can get you IN deep trouble as well as get you out of it ... you must know your state laws for when you can and can't use it and it WILL get you in deep trouble REGARDLESS unless you have secured membership in USCCA or some equivalent protection outfit (and IMO there are none that are equivalent).

10. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I cannot answer that. I will not be in that situation.
    But how about YOU ANSWER IT?

kfox75 likes this.
  11. Missouribound

Missouribound Well-Known Member

I don't think you know what situational awareness is.

12. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Go is not your Genie! you make your own way in life.

13. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

You have to be qualified, in order to purchase a firearm.

By which I mean, fill out Federal Form 4473, and pass a background check.
    You may not even be able to purchase a firearm, in the event you have a prior history of drug or spousal abuse, a police record, etc.

Needless to say, this was all stuff you should have been working out months ago.

14. Ghost1958

Since when?

Most states private sales are legal with absolutley nothing required but cash.

15. Ghost1958

Absolutely. Action beats reaction .
    If one has a fairly fast draw and fire that situation is admittedly risky but it's hardly unwinnable.

kfox75 likes this.
  16. Hookeye

Hookeye Well-Known Member

Lots of talk about what God will or won't do.
    Technically, I think the Big Guy's concern is with the soul, not so much the flesh.
    Your azz is your responsibility.

kfox75 likes this.
  17. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

You bought a firearm, in a private sale, lately?
    YES, technically, you CAN do it, but it's far from a reliable source.
    You don't get to pick and choose what you want, and it's used, from somebody who's likely to vanish, like smoke, by the time you figure out what's wrong with the gun.
    No warranty, no returns, IF you can find anything even remotely like what you were looking for.

So, SINCE THEN...

18. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Always has been that, though. With all sorts of items one could get from another private party. Does require a bit more knowledge about potential risk points on used arms, to be sure. Does require a little disassembly/play time with the thing, to truly be sure.

As for selection, it's always required patience in being able to wait for just the "right" one to come along. Of course, this past 6mos has been a bit like that at the shops, as precious little inventory sticks around for more than a few hours.

I've done a few, both purchases and sales. Not in the past couple of years, though.

19. Trunk Monkey

What kind of private sales do you go to?

Private sales were outlawed here in 2013 but there used to be a firearms section in the local want ads. You looked for what you wanted to buy, then you went and bought it.

I don't think I ever bought a junker gun that way

Ghost1958 likes this.
  20. Ghost1958

I have a time or two bought through a dealer.
    That said.
    Actually MOST of my firearms have been acquired thru private sale or trade. Always been reliable for me. At the moment with the current drought of guns and ammo I can find a much wider selection of firearms than at a dealer.

No muss, no fuss. No gov papers. Cash and carry. As it was when I was young and as it should be now.

As to warranty the few times I've ever needed one not being the original owner has never been a problem. Call, get a shipping label, ship to manufacturer, fixed or replaced and returned to me on the manufacturer's dime.

I personally see no reason at all to go jump thru unconstitional hoops to do what I have a right to do.