A Purchase consideration suggestion

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by danf_fl, Jan 19, 2013.

1. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

A close friend and shooting buddy has suggested that in addition to the semi autos I own, I should consider a bolt action in the same calibers.

Opinions?

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Its sound advice for sure. Then you always have a back up and at least two reliable guns that shoots the same ammo....plus it gives you another excuse to buy a gun and even more fun for reloading if you reload;)

3. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

Personally I would get the bolt action in another caliber. There are so many great calibers out there, and every time you get another gun that's an opportunity to try a different caliber. :)

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

It is a good idea. I have a bolt in 223 but I am looking at the Mossberg MVP in 5.56x45 which will handle the military ammo. That would go with the AR. I have been wanting a lever rifle and got a BLR in 308. I set it up for close in and am looking at getting a bolt 308 to scope. That would go with a semi in 308. CZ, Savage and Ruger have bolts in 7.62x39. A really nice set up is the 357 or 44 mag pistol and rifle.

5. longunner

longunner New Member

IMO bolt guns are much more fun to shoot than semis. I say go for iit

6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

JMO but some states don't allow semi for hunting purposes. Bolt action rifles tend to be more accurate. As far as home loads, I don't know how well semi autos can handle hot loads compared to bolt action. I personally don't care for semi autos except or SD purposes. I also find having too many differant calibers to be a disadvantage when you stock your ammo cabinet.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Your friend is correct, I have several semi-auto & I have bolt actions in the same said round..................

8. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I think it depends on what semi auto's you have. If its 223 I think I would consider a 308 bolt action rifle.

9. paperplatetargets

paperplatetargets New Member

For me, shooting my bolt over my semi autos saves me a ton of ammunition.

10. longunner

longunner New Member

And it's more fun :cool:

11. fritzy1911

fritzy1911 New Member

I went thru my ar stage spent a lot of money only to find out I enjoyed shooting my SKS a lot more than the many AR's I had. The fact that I've been shooting this SKS for 25 years may have had something to do with It. As well as the cheap ammo. 2 years ago I bought a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 and love It. these two rifles are just about all I shoot now. My other 3 cf rifle's ( 45-70, 7mm08, 30-30 ) don't see much range time. So I would agree thats some good advice.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013