A nice reminder of a great man.

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by kfox75, May 14, 2014.

1. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Took delivery of my grandfather's Remington 11-48 this afternoon. He bought it in the early 60s, and used it until he stopped hunting in 2000. It is a 12 gauge with the 28 inch, full choked, plain barrel. He used to use an old Weaver scope from one of his .22s on an Echo quick release mount (on the L\H side of the receiver. Left the scope with the Winchester 67 and the Springfield it's on now.) during deer season. The way he would check zero was to set up 5 bottles in front of a berm, walk 50 yards back, prone out, and bust the bottles. He would then do it sitting, rested, and off hand on 5 more bottles. If it took him more than 10 slugs on 10 bottles something was wrong. I only saw him miss during this once in the 7 years dad and I hunted with him. One of the Q\R set screws was loose. tightened it up, and no more problems.

Some pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Very nice, a family tradition.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

that's one very nice looking old shotgun. i'd be proud to have one that nice too.

enjoy it and the memories.:D

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Is that stock Walnut? Incredible.

5. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

Coming from the grandfather, Its worth its weight in Gold.

6. Winchester94

Winchester94 New Member

That's a beautiful gun and even better because of it's history.

7. BRL

BRL New Member

Agreed!

The wood on that shotgun is beautiful! :cool:

8. kfox75

Thanks guys. Yes it is walnut, with a 4 times a year oiling during cleaning over the last 9 years that we lived in the apartment over grand dad's place. Whether they got shot or the just sat in the safes, all of the guns get cleaned once every 3 to 4 months by my uncle, wife, daughter, a family friend who also brings his, my dad from time to time (after putting in 22 in the Corps he mostly comes over to visit and watch, had enough cleaning for 3 lifetimes while he was at Paris Island.), and myself. The complete teardowns are once a year whether needed or not. When over half of your family chose careers where you must be able to rely on your equipment, you wind up keeping your firearms well maintained.

9. DrFootball

Spot on man! One of the first things Dad and my uncles taught all the kids( me and my cousins) was how to CLEAN them....

10. kfox75

To paraphrase what my dad said to me when I got my first .22.:

"Son. Someday your life may depend on this weapon, so you need to take care of it as if you need to depend on it now. You will never know when this rifle will be the only means of keeping you and your family fed and safe. This is how you ensure that you can trust it to provide for you. take care of this rifle, and it will be there to take care of you."

Both of his parents survived the Great depression, as did both of my mother's parents. While my parents and I never saw times as hard as they did, we have had to live during some pretty tight times. We spent more than one year where we only ate what we took afield and what we caught in the Atlantic, or on the Outer Banks. It was a choice for us, but it was also what allowed my parents to put enough aside to expand the trailer park they owned down there by a couple more units, which were payed off within 3 years of them being delivered. Living off wild game and what we catch from Lake Erie kept my family fed while I waited for my disability to go through. This is a lesson that has been passed on to our daughter as well.

It is an honor to be the one trusted with grampa's deer gun. Now that I will be living in PA, it will be retired from hunting (semi-autos are a no no for hunting there), and it will become the new trap and skeet shotgun. It won't get much use, but I will always be able to smile after a few rounds.

11. DrFootball

Outstanding!!

12. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Thats a pretty peace right there! Got my Grandaddies M11 as well, love it!

13. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

There is a lifetime of memories in that shotgun, and a real keeper for sure.

14. kfox75

Can't blame ya on that WF. The M11 were some well made shotguns, but who they belonged to before us is what makes them priceless.

Thanks DH. I am just glad I had the chance to be out there with him when some of those memories were made. A few years after he stopped hunting due to declining health, my dad stopped as well. He hit a deer on the way to work one morning, and had to watch it suffer for close to 2 hours while waiting on LE to arrive on scene. can't say I blame him. That would be enough to make me walk away from it too.

The only regret I have in that is that my daughter will never have 3 generation hunting party memories from her youth. Those are the ones that I can always smile about when I think back on them.