A newbie section

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by NGIB, Oct 7, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

How about a section dedicated especially to the newbie? Here they can ask the questions that many would find silly or tiresome - and it might keep the other categories "cleaner".

We can "sticky" some of the great "learning" threads and our "patient" folks can work with them until they're ready for Tango. Here's an example of why - just a thought...

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f25/help-finding-rifle-18786-new/

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  2. quelebu

quelebu New Member

I think you mean...what about an "idiots section", not a newbies section. Not all people new to the forum are idiots!

However, this is a "forum" - somewhere for people to ask questions and have discussions - you're free to pick the discussions you want to engage in, and those you don't.

Personally I think sorting by topic works fine - if the thread is trash is doesn't last long (unless it's worth making fun of, as your example).

By the way I'm fairly new to the forum myself and am having problems with my new riflescope, when I look through it stuff seems much further away rather than closer....any ideas?

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I meant exactly what I said. If I wanted to say idiot - I would have.

I personally can't tell if your question is supposed to test my knowledge or throw sarcasm my way. If you're serious - turn it around and look thru it from correct direction. If it's sarcasm, it wasn't very good...

4. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Newbies should be a little less flaming.

Not good for a new member to come off with the "idiots section" routine. We are a "Tight" group of firearms people that do not put up with a lot of that kind of BS. If you are here to discuss the firearms sport, than welcome-if you are here to flame and be a smart a$$-than move it on to another forum.:(

5. Jusselin

Jusselin New Member

well said.......

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Chill guys, you're not doing it right!

thedude1.jpg

7. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I think that's an excellent idea!!

It could include many stickies of frequently asked questions.

Which firearm for X,Y, or Z etc.....

Great idea!

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  9. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

lol, i was just thinkin the same thing...

as for the OP, i'm new to this forum, but not to forums in general. lots of them have a "getting started" type section. i think it's a good idea...

10. Jusselin

Jusselin New Member

or for people who have used forums before they know there is a search feature :D

11. quelebu

quelebu New Member

Crossed wires

NGIB, when I read your opening thread, I thought by "Newbie" you meant people new to the forum. I followed the link to the example you gave and read it but was none the wiser - only annoyed because I believed you thought people new to the forum tended to write "silly and tiresome questions". I hadn't realised that by "Newbie" you meant people new to shooting! (though I now realise that, having followed the replies).

Regrettably the first part of my reply was therefore somewhat out of context with the opening thread...my apologies if it caused you offence, which it obviously did :eek:

My other comments stand and I agree with Jusselin that if everyone (particularly Newbies) used the search feature more, there'd be less repetition of FAQ's.

12. zhuk

zhuk New Member

It's kind of a good idea, as I count myself amongst the ranks of the shamefully noobified re shooting in general.

For example, currently having a hard time getting my head around the concept of MOA (as I must publicly admit to mathematical dyslexia :eek:) and have been a bit leery of acknowledging my retardness...well until now anyway :D

13. cobra22

cobra22 New Member

Whats the saying "its better to speak out, ask a question and appear a fool for a moment than to remain silent and be a fool for life"

I dont think theres really a dumb question , well not really . If soemone genuinely does not know the answer than its not a dumb question. We all ahd to start somewhere

PS Canebrake you look like Jeff Bridges in a movie where he played a hippy..Hmm cant think of the name.

14. OlPainless

OlPainless New Member

Cobra... you big stinkin' lebowski, how could you not know that movie?

15. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Canebrake=Jeff Bridges??

No--NO WAY....Cane is a lot better looking than Jeff Bridges--Trust me-I have shared coffee with Cane.:p:eek: