A need someone to reload for me...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by meangene1975, Oct 16, 2010.

1. meangene1975

meangene1975 New Member

I need someone to reload for my .257 weatherby magnum . I was told there are companies that will send out some sample bullets and you can see what groups the best and then by that combination by the boxes. I dont want 10,000 rounds but maybe a 100 rounds or so at a time. Does anybody have any sugestions.

2. Highpower

Highpower New Member

It's not gonna happen.....

Folks here are WAY too smart for that. Cold hard truth.

3. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

That's a pretty tall order to ask for. You're asking someone to stretch their neck out pretty far. The liability issues compounded the now FTF guy X is making and selling ammo for member Y makes it a pretty bad idea.

4. meangene1975

meangene1975 New Member

specialty ammo and black hill ammo do. there are multiple companies do I am just shopping for the best prices. 90.00 a box from specialty and 5000 round minimum from black hills

5. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Yes but those companies have liability insurance and a class 7 FFL (ammo manufacturer's license). In other words they're all legally set up for it. We on the other hand are not legally set up to reload for someone else. Why not start reloading yourself? Not only will you save a bunch of money per round, it's also VERY gratifying.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As the Bear just said- unless I am licensed as a manufacturer of ammunition, and have paid the Federal Excise Taxes, it is illegal. Buy a copy of the ABCs of reloading, shop for a used single stage press, dies, and a scale, and load your own. Research what you are looking at asking for, and do not ask people to commit Federal felonies. Really not an auspicious start at a forum, y'know? :rolleyes:

7. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Yep, I was thinking you needed a Fed license to manufacture and sell ammo. So unless you got a foolish buddy, you're SOL. And I wouldn't want a person foolish enough to do it making ammo for me.

What's wrong with reloading it yourself? it isn't that hard.

8. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

:: Custom Cartridge - Order Online ::[ProdCaliber]=257+Weatherby&pricing=&eval[ProdLine]=Orion&action=Search

Custom Loads

Custom ammunition

Ultimate Ammunition :: Custom Load Development

257 Weatherby<P>*For more selections click here*<P>

Stars & Stripes Ammunition

I don't think you're gonna do any better with the above companies. They don't have your rifle to figure out what powder, bullet it likes. This they are loading in the dark really. Sure they may be constant but a load with 2fps SD with a bullet your rifle doesn't want is still going to shoot like crap.

Me I would go with factory ammo or sell the rifle and get a 25-06. It can do the same job as the 257 wby with less powder and ammo cost a whole lot less.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  10. JonM

JonM Moderator

just start loading your own. handloading is right up for enjoyment if your into guns. it opens an enormous range of bullet selection, power levels and lets odd pricey rounds become affordable to fire.

highly recomend getting started loading your own.

11. Shade

Shade New Member

I second the .25-06 it is one flat shooting SOB, factory ammo is reasonable.

If you want to get into reload look at some of the Lee Starter kits, they are
    reasonably priced and will work well on the smaller cases. If you like it then
    upgrade to RCBS and Dillon as you see fit. I justified my initial reloading
    equipment with my .300 H&H Magnum it only took 300 rounds for a wash on
    pricing.

12. meangene1975

meangene1975 New Member

I just want to clarify that i wasnt asking anyone to commit a felony, I was looking for other companies like superior that make custom load. I have a good friend that used them and it worked out great for him. I just didnt like the price because i want to start shooting alot more. I would get into reloading if I could watch someone do it and someone that could teach me

13. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Consider getting some books on the subject. The ABC's Of reloading, as previously stated. The new Lee Reloading manual, or the Lyman manual. There are many others as well. They will have solid guidance as to the ins & outs of the process.
    Also, check your local gun shops and/or Shooting ranges, I would be surprised if you can't find someone willing to show you the ropes. Locally, our Sportsman's Warehouse has reloading classes now & then. I haven't looked, but I'd bet there is some useful info on YouTube.
    As previously stated, the Lee kits are a good starting point for gear. I have a Lee challenger kit that works just fine (I'm not a fan of the included scale however).
    Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Anniversary Kit

14. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Got to youtube. They have lots of reloading videos.

15. patret

patret New Member

I totally agree with Mr. Bear. The .257 Weatherby Mag is one of the classic over- bores and it is noted for it`s short barrel life.

patret

16. tireless

tireless New Member

Exactly what I thought when I read the following

I'm not a frequent or prolific poster, heck this is my first post on this forum.

I read your post though and never thought that gene, you shouldn't need to clarify anything to anyone.

MHO, jw

17. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I disagree. The OP said these companies would send him BULLETS, which implies just bullets....to be reloaded. If he had said CARTRIDGES, perhaps people wouldn't have misunderstood.

Just a question of semantics, I agree, but an important distinction to make before taking a good guy vs. bad responders approach. Just my opinion.

18. tireless

tireless New Member

Agreed lonyaeger, I "assumed" he meant something other than what he wrote. The reference to wanting "rounds" later in the post, which to me means loaded ammo, is where I drew the assumption from.

I still don't feel like the post was cause for accusing the guy of asking someone to commit a felony and lecturing him to read up on operating a gun business. Others didn't either, there were replies which were constructive or meant to be helpful.

It's all good, people just seem to be quick on the trigger lately.

Again MHO, jw

19. SemperRogue

SemperRogue New Member

I'd go the 25-06 route myself if my intention was some serious shooting; 100 rds a session or so. My definition.

You could hit a local gunshow, some guys sell hard to find ammo in ziplocks. Might worth your while to strike up a conversation and see what they can do for you. I'm sure they are properly licensed but it doesn't hurt to ask.

20. Highpower

Highpower New Member

jw,

Did you actually READ the thread title, or follow the link to the thread posted above in regards to my comments?

So please don't be so quick on the trigger to judge others intentions.
    Fair enough? :)