A lot of rifle options, which one to buy in CA?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Andlyn, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Andlyn

Andlyn New Member

I've been wanting to have a good platform for customizations. I'd love an AR15 but they are just way out of my price range. What are some good, fun, inexpensive rifles that are also California friendly?

My buddy picked up an AK-74 for less than $500, it seems like a very fun rifle. How are those?

Also, with the CA laws :mad: ... should I go with Pistol grip with a mag lock (bullet button) or no grip with a mag release? I recently saw a "monsterman grip" and it made me cringe. It looks awkward and uncomfortable to hold!

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

The SKS is fun, relatively cheap and almost an AK! :)

3. Simpleman

Simpleman New Member

How much are you trying to spend?

4. Andlyn

Andlyn New Member

I'd love to get away with $300, but I know there are far more options within a $500 range.

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

If you shop carefully, you may find a Ruger Mini 14 around that price. No bullet button required.

You may be able to find a shooter grade AR for around that price. Go with the bullet button because if you ever move to America, you can remove it and have a normal mag release.

For the most bang for the buck, an SKS will work and they will accept detachable mags. (ten rounds only of course) It will cost you less and allow you to buy more ammunition. Remember that you have to feed whatever you buy.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. Simpleman

Simpleman New Member

I agree with CA357 I was thinking ok the mini 14.

7. Andlyn

Andlyn New Member

haha "...If you ever move to America"... I like that one!

All mentioned are really good looking guns, i'd like to test fire them very soon.

Anyone own or ever fired a Saiga AK74?

8. CA357

No, just AR's and Mini's.

9. Simpleman

Simpleman New Member

"Anyone own or ever fired a Saiga AK74?"
    No I have not sorry...

10. Andlyn

Andlyn New Member

just caught an ad for Big 5 sporting goods selling Mosin Nagant 91/30's and M44 Carbines for $89 this weekend... interesting!

11. CA357

Well, those are bolt actions, not semi's. But they're great rifles and cheap to feed.

12. jismail

jismail Member

Here is an interesting page to check out. I would verify that what they say is 'legal' is truely CA acceptable but there are some pretty niffty toys on the site.

California Legal AR15, AK47