A lot of empty ammo SHELVES

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Mark F, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I spent most of the day (yesterday) shopping for ammo. And it was an adventure! All the Wal Marts I went to had mostly empty shelves. Next, I went to Cabela's. Cabela's had ammo but mostly calibers that started with "4". IE: .40, 44 SPL, 44Mag, 45ACP, 45Colt. There was "some" 9mm but low-end brands or high dollar SD ammo. They still had some .243, 223, 308, 30-06, and other rifle ammo.

Next was a trip to Bass Pro. They had no .380's. no 9mm, no 45ACP. they did have .40 S&W for 18.95 for a box of 50 ( MagTech Brand). I bought 10 boxes. Then I went to Academy Sports. they had a few boxes of Wolf 9mm, no .380's, no 4x ammo. They did have 38 SPL +P for 18.95 a box (Winchester Brand), I bought 10 boxes.

The most outrageous price I saw was on 12 Ga. 3" Magnum shotgun shells. A box of 25 #4 shot was 39.90 a box. I bought ZERO. I did find some 12 Ga. "00" five packs for $5.89 at Cheaper Than Dirt. I bought a few boxes...

I also found and bought 3000 rounds of 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo (Bulgarian ammo) for .07 per round. That was a GREAT BUY! My old Tokarev has been through a lot, starting with the Jimmy Carter dictatorship and it will make it through the Obama Sociaxxist "régime".

If you know of a place in your area that still has ammo... you may want to go stock up, even of calibers you don't use... Ammo is good trading material!

2. Mark F

My ammo supply is about to peak at 20K. That should last me a long time.

3. Rare Faction

Rare Faction New Member

Guessing from your list of retailers, I'll guess you're in the DFW area as well?

If you're looking for 9mm ammo for range use, the cheapest I've seen lately was at the Winchester Gallery on the east side of Ft Worth...$30 for a 100rd box of Winchester target rounds this past Saturday. They had boxes of Blazer .40 S&W for $20/box, but no .45

Cheaper Than Dirt seems to have evolved into a place to pick up everything except ammo, as the cheapest 9mm I've seen there lately has been $19/box.

4. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

$20/Box for .40 S&W Blazer!! Assuming you are talking about a box of 50 that price is crazy.

We just cleaned out our local WalMart on Saturday of all the Blazer .40 they had in stock for $12 something a box (picked up 21 boxes). The clerk said they usually get ammo back in stock in about a week, so we plan to continue to monitor them regularly. Of course, we were on our way home from the range where we had just shot about 500 rounds between the two of us, so we were only up +550 rounds on the weekend. ;)

Other than the .40 they had a small amount of 9mm and some shotgun shells. It's getting to where if you find a caliber you shoot regularly in stock you need to think about buying it, because it doesn't last long on the shelves.

5. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

6. Rare Faction

Rare Faction New Member

I agree with that...seems to be about standard anymore around here, though. Walmart is always dry when I check them (2-3 times/week)

7. 741512th

741512th New Member

Same old, same old:

Whenever the consumer has a fear, the supplier withholds to drive up the price. It has happened with most commodities in the past, why not ammunition?

"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!! Obama was elected and the black helicopters from the UN will land in my yard and take my guns!!"

Result - the manufacturers create a false shortage to drive up the price. As soon as the demand increases the price sufficiently, the supply will be there.

8. Mark F

That would be correct. I was at Winchester Gallery yesterday, but I was shooting not shopping.

I haven't found Winchester G. to be a very good place to buy anything. Pioneer Gunshop beats them on everything, guns, ammo, knives, and supplies.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  9. Mark F

And, we wonder why there's no ammo available...

10. MadMax34

MadMax34 New Member

Ammo...

When I go shooting I bring 100 rounds and then I go home. Stalking the local Wal-wart and then buying ALL of their ammo really spreads the love around to other folks who buy perhaps a few boxes a visit. Keep up the bad work...

11. Mark F

Right now .380 ammo is the toughtest to find in this neck of the woods. Fortunately, I have a couple thousand rounds. .38 Specials are getting in short supply too.

I try to limit my gun range activities to 100 rounds per caliber... That usually takes me all day to accomplish.

12. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

Frankly, it's not my responsibility to make sure you or anyone else has ammo.

I am not like many others with an ammo stash of multiple tens of thousands of rounds. I have a small fraction of that amount, and if there were a prolonged supply interruption I would be out of ammo quickly if I didn't adjust my shooting in a big way. I don't want to be in that situation because I am committed to developing and maintaining my proficiency.

Between my wife and I we tend to shoot around 1000 rounds a month. That's broken down as follows:

• 2-3 trips/month to the local indoor range where we each shoot 100 rounds. So call that 500 rounds a month on average.
    • Once a month we take part in a clinic put on by the school where we've taken some training. It gives us a chance to practice things we can't at the indoor range such as working out of a holster, rapid firing, and other defensive drills. We usually shoot 2-300 rounds each at these events.

Is that too much shooting? Maybe for you it is. Perhaps you've been shooting for many years and one or two hundred rounds each month is enough for you to keep your skills tuned up. In our case we are relatively new at this, so we're still on the steep part of the learning curve. As time goes on we may dial that back a little, but for now I think that level of training is being put to good use.

Recently, as everyone knows, you can't be sure you'll find any ammo in stock on any given day. As an example, for the past several weeks none of the on-line suppliers I've been using has any .40 target ammo in stock. So, when I do find ammo in stock I tend to buy in quantities, and try to buy a little more than I plan to use so I can build up a bit of a reserve.

I think we're only being prudent.

13. shoez

shoez New Member

My local Wal-Marts are pretty well empty also, but the gun shops seem to be ok. I was at a gun show in St. Charles, Mo, a couple weeks ago, and except for 380 auto, there were stacks and piles of everything. Guns and ammo. Definately no shortage there. One guy had stacks of new AR15's. I believe the only reason the shortage is because of freaked out people panic buying. Kind of like 1992 with Clinton, and to a smaller degree, the whole Y2K scare. Ammo companies are working at capacity to catch up, but I bet they aren't adding shifts or employees, because they know this supply problem will pass. I shoot alot per year anyway, so I will buy what I need for the year. I can't wait for a couple years to pass and you will be able to pick up guns real cheap because people over bought and now want to ditch them. I am happy for the gun shops to be making all this money now, because in this crappy economy, a lot of shops may have went out of business due to lack of sales. Obama is the best gun salesman to come along in a long time.

14. greenjeans

greenjeans New Member

I went to two Wal-Marts this weekend and one of them had three boxes of 9mm Blazer Brass. That was the only handgun ammo in either of them. I picked up two of them and left one. I've been able to find .40 cal pretty regularly, but nothing else. I personally don't think the mfrs. are holding back, but people buying everything on the shelf just because it's there. I know you have a right to buy what you want, but it just fuels the fire.

15. Cnynrat

Cnynrat New Member

I'm telling you guys, I am not hoarding ammo! I am getting tired of everyone giving me a hard time for buying ammo whenever I can find a little at WalMart. Really, we're just buying enough to make sure we can make it through any times of short supply.

Just to prove to everyone that I am not hoarding ammo, I took a picture last weekend out in the garage with my ammo stash.

;)

Attached Files:

16. Mark F

HEY! You found my stash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

17. 741512th

741512th New Member

So, that will last maybe four or five days. You need to find some ammunition. :p

18. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I bet my Kimber I could go threw that in 2.5 days.

19. WDB

WDB New Member

Dan, I told you to stay out of my shed! I set the Cnynrat traps but he keeps getting in!

I went to wally world and was able to pick up 300 rounds of 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 WWB ammo and leave some for my other brothers. They were short on 357 so I only got 50 rounds and 100 rounds of 38 spl. 1,050 rounds, I'm good for awhile