A Little Piece of Home

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay guys - All political BS aside, we know that we have plenty of brave men and women stationed all around the globe standing guard on our behalf. I would hope no one on this forum would take that lightly. If you have ever been away from home, from your friends & family, in a foreign land, I am sure you can sympathize with the feelings of just wanting a little piece of home to ease some of the "fishbowl" syndrome.

A group has come up with a program called Take a Soldier to the Movies that I think is a great cause. They accept donations of new or old DVD's, microwave popcorn, powered drinks and movie candy, box them up in individual containers wrapped in American flag colors and send them out, free of charge, to any of the troops that request a movie. The troops can then arrange to have a regular "Night at the Movies" for anyone interested and maybe forget about being away from home, in hostile territory, missing a loved one, or anything else that might be bothering them for a couple of hours of escapism.

Now, if your home is anything like my place, we have a ton of old DVD's that we bought, for whatever reason, and many duplicates that my finacee' had in her collection and I had in mind. We went through the closet and found 32 DVD's, all current titles, that we sent out, along with a Costco edition of microwave popcorn. We included a note, wishing the troops well and hopefully they enjoyed the show. To our surprise, we got our first letter back and it was quite touching. I am going to see if I can get it scanned so I can post it, but suffice to say, the troops at an airbase in Afghanistan had a night of watching "Collateral" and greatly enjoyed the show.

I have found this a very easy, cheap as I had already bought the movies previously and had burned them into my home system and Zune, & rewarding way to send some love to the troops that we, in our house, thank everyday for doing what they do.

I thought maybe some of you might have some DVD's that you no longer watch, or could throw a few bags of microwave popcorn in the cart the next time you go shopping. These good folks at the included link would love to get the donations and they will make sure it goes to a good place.

Thanks for your time!

JD

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Outstanding idea. I'll put some stuff together this weekend.

3. coltm4

coltm4 New Member

thanks for the info. i have friends that recently depoyed (again). they'll definitely appreciate this program.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Definitely. If they are active duty they can go right on the website and request a movie package. It looks like a great deal for the troops....

JD

5. Quasi

Quasi New Member

That's a good idea. I too have a bunch of DVD's I no longer really need after ripping to a server. Thanks for the link.

6. Jables

Jables New Member

Thanks for the info JD. It also will keep our troops in our hearts and minds. One of my mentorees my be getting deployed by the end of the year. I hope everyone will take advantage of this selfless act. It might make us a little more compassionate when we are spewing our political rhetoric and garbage.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, if everyone sent in one or two movies, each one represents 1.5 or 2 hours of escapism for several of our armed forces members, as I suspect they aren't hording them in their lockers and not sharing them out around the masses. I can tell from the letter we received that it was very nice to have some candy, some popcorn and an American flick to watch in between assignments.

Thanks to anyone that can send anything over to them....

JD

8. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Stellar idea! I'm making a list for the next time I go shopping!!

9. bkt

bkt New Member

That's an excellent idea. I'll dig through the vast collection of DVDs and scrape some up to send.

Did we want to make this a group effort on behalf of Firearmstalk.com? Or just keep it an individual thing?

Another worthy cause is Operation Gratitude. Please check it out and consider helping out.

10. Jables

Jables New Member

I'm for a group thing. Maybe we could set up someone we trust and will do the buying up the movies to take paypal donations and send a bunch of movies. I personally don't own many movies, but I would be willing to throw a 5 or a 10 in there.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You know, that would really be an awesome idea. They accept donations through PayPal and apparently $35/ea. piece is enough to generate a complete gift pack of movie, candy, popcorn, some powered drink like kool-aid/Gatoraid and a note saying thank you. I bet we could take up a collection around the forum and purchase quite a few of those things. We should put that to a vote. If everyone chipped in $5 ea I bet we could have a monster pool to draw from.....

Really good idea bkt!!

JD

12. jtmat

jtmat New Member

Excellent thread....

Along those lines, when I was in gulf war 1 it was very nice to hear my name called to pickup a care package....

If you know anyone in the service, it means a whole lot to receive a package. My mom never spent a lot of money, but always sent the best stuff... little things. But then she sent many packages to my dad so she knew....

I'll have three to take care of in my family... was three before, but one came back wounded... now another cousin will be going over in a couple of months to join his two brothers.

13. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

This is an excellent idea! My son goes over next month so if you want to make this a Forum event let me know and count me in. I also have about 250 paper back novels that I don't know what to do with. My Dad used to bring his to the VA Hospital in Montrose NY, but there aren't any near where I live. I don't know how much time the troops have in Iraq to read, but maybe they could use them?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*BUMP*

Because I feel it's a good cause and because something like this can mean a lot to you if you are away from those you love.

JD

15. bkt

bkt New Member

Argh! Thanks for the reminder. I still have the stack of DVDs right next to me and I need to get them out the door. Hopefully, today I'll have a chance to take them to the post office.

Coordinating a firearmstalk.com-based donation may not be practical when you consider the additional shipping costs. If we were all pretty much local to one another, that would be a different story. I'm open to ideas, certainly, but it might be best to just send in what you have.

They are looking for any or all of the following items:

- New or used DVD movies
    - Packets of microwave popcorn
    - Packets of presweetened, powdered drink mixes (no tubs)
    - Assortments of movie theater-style candy (No chocolate)
    - A letter of support from you and your family or friends
    - Cash donations to help cover the cost of shipping

Send what you have in a sturdy box to:

Operation: Take a Soldier to the Movies
    c/o Hintzke & Associates
    14775 W National Ave
    New Berlin, WI 53151-4434
    (262) 754-4300

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  16. supergus

supergus New Member

That's an awesome idea! BTW about 2-3 times a year I go through all my paperback books and musclecar, gun, and woodworking magazines and send them to the troops. One organization is Adopt-a-Soldier. You can get the info from a recruiting office and also Marines Toys for Tots may have info too. Also www.subscriptions4soldiers.com. Also the soldiers of Bonecrusher Troop 3-7 Cav. are short on cleaning supplies for 5.56mm and 7.62mm like bore patches and brushes and especially Break-Free CLP. Send to: Any Cavalry Trooper
    C/O SFC Lugo, 2nd. Platoon, B Trp 3/7 Cav, Unit 5972, APO AE 09378. Toss some of those DVD's and magazines in there too!

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I believe RL357Mag had a ton of used paperbacks he was looking to donate. This sounds like a great place to do so...

Everyone should dig deep in the closests. You may think it's nothing, but when you are thousands of miles away from the ones you love, a little piece of "nothing" from home is worth more than it's wait in gold...

JD

18. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

I wonder if booze would make it.

19. supergus

supergus New Member

I've heard rumors that an empty bottle of Listerene could be used. No personal experience though.

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Gents- these are some good things you are doing. I have two units that I am supporting now- a couple of thoughts on good stuff to send (and I love the DVD/popcorn/koolaid concept). Depending on where the guys are: Writing paper, envelopes, pens. No stamps needed. Presweetened drink mixes. AA batteries. A baseball, frisbee, etc. Books, especially paperbacks are always good. Hard candy like Lifesavers, tictacs. Have sent the little cans of Pringles, they ship well. Don't forget there are FEMALE troops there as well- have sent some of my collection of hotel soaps, shampoos, conditioners. And toss in a local newspaper. I ALWAYS use Sunday Funnies for padding when shipping. and to all- thanks for thinking about the guys- they really do appreciate it.