A little Mistery In The Edge Of The Woods

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by tinbucket, Nov 26, 2020.

1. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

For the last several nights about 2:00 am to 2:30 am the very bright security light has come on over the lawn equipment garage. I open the blinds and look but all I have seen so far are yellow eyes maybe 4 to 5 inches apart about 12 to 16 inches off the ground and what might be the outline of a back about 4 ft long or maybe more. It is always in the shadow. I need to get a couple of game cameras and see who the mystery guest is. I have an idea but not a good one.Haven't heard the cats food dish rattling but they were tolerating an Opossum cleaning out their bowl while they watched from atop their little house. You always know when an Opossum is there they get into the bowl and it rattles around.
    The critter in the edge of the woods might be that Bobcat, and the reason the cats disappear in the dead of night. But what I saw doesn't seem to quite fit. No big thing. I used to sit out in the mountains when it wasn't too cold and see what passed by or looked me up. Never did see Big Foot. You suppose junior is only a couple feet tall and has yellow eyes? :)

2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Nashville (TN) area, yes?

Sounds like it could be coyote, cougar possibly. Cougar sightings are increasing, in the region, in recent years.

Given your size estimate and apparent yellow-ish eyes, it could fit either coyote, cougar, even the smaller bobcat. Great hearing, eyesight, stealthy, wary.

tinbucket likes this.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like a cat to me.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

5. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Game camera. for sure. Had "something" ruining Management's tomatoes one bite from every one. Suspects were groundhog, coons, possums, turtles. Camera identified red hen.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Tin

If you have bobcats in the area that is probably my guess what it is. By your description of the height of the critter. I would guess it is a large make Bob!
    The Bobcats cat’s eye also has a reflective surface called the tapetum lucidum, which reflects light back through the retina and causes the yellowish eye shine.
    And since I have shot a many of them at night in Texas I have seen that yellow shine quite often.

Caveman Jim and tinbucket like this.
  7. tinbucket

About a hunerd miles south

8. tinbucket

Chickens like maters, corn, and young squash and about everything else. Kids feed their show chicks a lot of veggies

winds-of-change likes this.
  9. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Four feet or more would rule out bobcat in my mind, I'm thinking coyote.

10. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

4-5" between the yellow eyes and 4 ' body length says cougar to me.