Firearms Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Retired 3/1/2022 and am just now dipping a toe into the firearms world. Purchased a M&P 9mm 2.0 Compact, and go to the range once/month trying to become proficient. Interested in learning about various weapons and calibers (suppressed AR pistol chambered in 300 blackout may be my next purchase).

Interests include sport-touring and track motorcycles, powerboating and road (not mountain) bicycling.

Married and resident of Virginia.

I don't know what I don't know about the firearms world. Hope you fellows can help me out.

·
Registered
685 Posts
welcome Patent1, from E Texas - I've been around firearms for a looooong time and there's a huge amount that I don't have any idea about - re-loading, hunting, competition shooting for instance - but then again I don't wish to know about those.....

just keep watching/reading the areas that you might be interested in and ask questions that you'd like to know the answers to

p.s. : I've been retired for almost 23 years - just about forgot what "working for a living" was - hope you enjoy your new lifestyle - sounds like you're off to a good start

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,245 Posts
Welcome from Northern Ohio. Glad to see new people. Never to old to join the firearm world. We have lots and lots of knowledge people here willing to share info. Any questions, just ask.
PS, new guy buys first round. Lol. :cool:

·
Administrator
1,384 Posts
Welcome

·
Premium Member
6,810 Posts
Retired 3/1/2022 and am just now dipping a toe into the firearms world. Purchased a M&P 9mm 2.0 Compact, and go to the range once/month trying to become proficient. Interested in learning about various weapons and calibers ...
Once you get fairly comfortable with that M&P 2.0, if you get interested in looking at other pistols then consider the CZ 75 B (or P01 or D PCR Compact) as well as the H&K P30 (or P30 SK). Different feel in the hand, different balance, but very accurate and reliable. The CZ 75 B, in particular, is all-steel and has some heft during firing. For many people, it offers a different balance under fire. Myself, I tend to prefer guns with more heft, for handguns. You might be very impressed with the CZ or the HK pistols. Great guns.

If just getting into shooting, consider a .22LR rifle of some sort. Perhaps a lever-action type. Can be great fun, is much less costly to run ammo through the thing, and it'll allow basic "plinking," aiming and trigger time without breaking the bank. A good gun to have, if looking to shoot a bit.

Congrats on the retirement, by the way.

Reactions: primer1

·
Supporting Member
14,678 Posts
Patent1

Welcome the Forum from Tennessee! Great people here and glad you have joined us. Just remember we also started learning at some point and there is always more to learn!
Sound like you have a good Pistol.
But let me address the topic of the 300 Blackout. We have shot them on the lease in Texas for several years now in the AR Rifles and done testing with a Suppressor and Sub Sonic Ammunition. I will tell you this! With the suppressors and subsonic ammunition, they were quiet enough you could hear the Bolt close after the round was fired.
Not to mention the 30 Cal Suppressors were seemingly quieter even on the 2233/5.56 AR Rifles. So the good news if one buys a 30 Cal. Suppressor can be use it on both, Our rifles all have the quick disconnect on the barrels to attach or remove the suppressors.

Reactions: primer1
1 - 10 of 10 Posts