A little discussion

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by SSGSF, Feb 8, 2013.

1. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

A co worker and I had a discussion on the the way to work to day about CHL. Because I read on another thread here about some new proposed law here in Texas.
    Here is a little back ground info on this guy he is very pro Second amendment.
    He believes that making a person pay and sit in a class for 10 hr is against your second amendment right . Because they are infrining on our right. I said no the state just wants you to be trained and safe. And to make sure your not a crimanl.
    What do you all think about this.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

You're both right.

Hope this helps. ;)

3. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I think a 10 hour class is the most absurd thing ever. Way overthetop, just like everything extremists do, libtards and conservatives alike.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Nope. I'm not a real firm believer in classes and waiting periods. I think they're great idea, and everyone should do it, but I don't think it should be a requirement. It IS an infringement if it's required.

I DO very firmly believe in harsher punishments for crimes committed and general dumbassery that results in injury or death.

"common sense" gun control (which is what you're suggesting) is all about control, and the "common sense" part is never the goal, nor usually even in the equation.

Now, killing murderers via hanging, the chair, or even lethal injection, plus those who kill accidentally through gross negligence, will do several things: take criminals off the streets-for good. And encourage know-nothings to become learn-somethings, in order to not become a death row statistic. This also applies to reckless/drunk driving, and pretty much any other death resulting from negligence.

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

There's a bill that will change the required hours from 10 hours, to 4-6 hours if it passes. Hopefully it does.

I'm with trip on the "should it be required" thing. You should go to the class, but it shouldn't be a requirement.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I think a handgun safety class is important. Having it as a requirement, does infringe on 2A. But getting shot by an ND would upset me greatly.

I realize that a law abiding person should be able to just walk into a store buy a gun and put it in his pocket. That's how it used to be. Times are different and I don't really know what's right anymore. Maybe I'm brainwashed.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I believe there should be a class required for ccw. If I am stupid and shoot myself in my garage that is my problem. If I am stupid and shoot you by mistake at the mall...well that is another matter isn't it? I think a simple safety class should be sufficient.

8. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

That is what got us talking about this. And their is another bill that says if you have a CHL you could then open carry.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'm against a class of any length for the experienced ( there should of course be a "test" of some sort) BUT I think the class is not long enuff for the inexperienced -- It honestly worries me about how many now carry guns who just don't know near enuff about them --
    How can that be solved? I don't know--

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Well Hoss, what did you do to become experienced?

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Shot the snot out of every gun i got my hands on-:D
    Don't think anyone shud have let me carry one around after the first few shots tho :(
    Thing is experience takes time- can't buy it, rent it, borrow it or be gifted it--
    Course everyone has a different level that they become "qualified" to do a certain thing i reckon -
    Only took me about 50 years :eek:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  12. trip286

trip286 New Member

There ya have it ;)
    Classes are a great idea, and they teach you basically not to be an idiot, but there is no substitute for experience.

When classes are legislated... When will they start legislating experience? And if they do that... How the hell will one get experience?

13. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

It's an interesting subject no doubt. How do you determine if someone needs the class or not? There isn't really a simple answer. I grew up around guns. I fully understand the capabilities of the weapon, intentional and not. Given that currently, millions of uneducated folks are buying up weapons and ammo, I see two avenues there. 1 is that the country is armed in preparation for anything bad that could happen and need us to rise up. The second is, there are a buncha gun totin fools that don't know the first dam thing about what they bought.

Yes, I can see it violating 2A to make you take a class. At the same time, I've seen those morons on the range and I'm more comfortable with my 11 year old shooting than those fools. So, yes, I think they should have a class. Kinda like they did hunters safety education and required it before you could get a hunting license. There was a cutoff point, in 1979 I believe it was. Born before, no need. Born after, required. And it should be a full day. You can't teach someone firearm basics in an hour. A full days class could at least get some of the more important points across. Create the same kinda guideline as they did for hunting. If you are 21 by today, then so be it. If you are 21 tomorrow, then your *** is in a class. It doesn't save us from all those who are already over the age, but it at least starts somewhere.

14. vincent

vincent New Member

Yes, a mandatory class IS an infringement...but...

I can totally understand the concerns involved when it comes to carrying in public or shooting at a public range. There's a lot more to it than just knowing how to use your firearm.

15. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Your friend is right! How much 'training' is required to exercise any of the 'other' rights listed in the Bill of Rights????;)

16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Really?
    Hell, I had to be trained to write & spell before i could exercise part of the 1st amendment - I sure hope my lawyer is well trained if he has to defend my 6th amendment rights- I could go on but any reasonable person should agree some training is needed to do most anything in a "proper" manner----Bill Of Rights or not---

17. luckyj

luckyj New Member

I don't think it should be mandatory or used as a means to generate revenue for the state. It takes just a few minutes to show someone the safety features of the gun they just purchased. Then tell them that if they're not careful they will probably accidentally blow their a$$ off. Then they can make the decision to take a course that will further show them how to safely use their weapon.

18. nicklarimore

nicklarimore New Member

In ky the class has a little safety in it but it is more geared towards the legal aspect to being a CCDW holder like when you can or can't shoot where and other what not like that. Ky is also a shall issue state so I did not feel that my rights were infringed by having to take the course.

19. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Required? No! Fast-tracked to a CCW license? Yes! HAD to take hunter safety when I was 15 y.o. (1974), loved it! Why not offer to take newbs out & school 'em just like we do w/ young/new hunters? Passing on our wisdom is only our responsibility if we care about our future! Think about it!!

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I think a lot of states do the same- Get trained to USE the gun - If you ever do HAVE to i doubt many will be worried about the legal crap :(