A little advise

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ctshooter, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

So I'm in the market for a shotgun. Remington 870 or mosberg 500??? Either way will have ar style pistol grip. Thoughts??

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I went with mossberg,either are safe bets, I also did the whole pistol grip collapsible stock thing with my shotgun for a while there as well. I ended up putting a conventional stock back on it. For me the pistol grip really dies nothing for a shotgun,and the ergonomics are much better with the typical shotty stock IMO

3. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Why do you want the pistol grip? Looks? I'd much rather buy a standard stocked mossberg and put the money saved towards ammo. That stuff isn't getting any cheaper and you're going to need to practice.

4. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

Same here and I wish I had a normal stock. The pg beats the crap our of your wrist and if you try to get a cheakweld it slams you in the face. I leave the skeet range looking like I got beat up sometimes. Which for all intensive purposes, I did.

5. carolina2008

carolina2008 New Member

Remington 870 stainless steel marine model

6. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Remington quality is third-world at this point IMO, however, for a true pitol grip the safety is in a better spot.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There was a post here some time back by an attorney. He laid out what would happen to you in court if you were involved in a justified shooting. You will most likely be sued by the perpetrator or his family. He stressed what would happen in court if you use a tactical style shotgun with all kinds of aftermarket features like pistol grips etc. The attorney will crucify you to make you look bad to the jury. After all he was just trying to turn his life around and was the kindest guy you were ever attacked by. Get the standard stock, preferably wood and dont gimmick it up with sights and lights and lasers. Dont modify it because he will do and say anything to make you look like a blood thirsty killer who was laying in wait for his client to show up. I have a Nova with extended mag tube and sights. It is in the safe. I keep a 20 gauge double handy. No action keeps it short and it has a walnut stock. Easy to load and unload.

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I read this kind of thing all the time. Can anyone document where that has ever actually been done JTJ? Anyone...!?

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

many states that have passed Castle Laws have provided no recourse for your attacker to file a civil lawsuit or his family against you if the shooting was justified. in other words, he took his chances breaking into your home and got shot, if he survives, he can't sue you for damages, if he dies in the course of a criminal act, then his family can't sue you for wrongful death.

so in reality, the firearm you choose to defend your home with is really irrelevent. because if the shooting was justified, then the firearm used will be of little importance, because it will never see the courthouse th begin with.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

True, many states have passed laws protecting the victim of a crime but many states have not. In states like CA and IL you can be pretty sure of going to court. How dare you defend yourself.

11. Axxe55

yes, i agree some states are still behind in allowing people to defend themselves and also allowing a criminal or his family to be able to sue someone for defending their lives or property. but so far, i have not seen where the firearm used has been a factor in a lawsuit against someone defending themself against an attacker. i heard these rumours about using "tactical" looking firearms and people who used their reloads for SD many years ago. so far i think it's just a bunch of rumours that have been around for a while.

12. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

If you run a Mossberg with a pistol grip, you're going to have a hard time working the safety. If you don't mind moving about your property with a loaded weapon with safety off after awakening at 3 AM, then this may not be a problem for you.

The Remington doesn't have that problem, but feeding it requires some practice because you have to overcome the shell lifter. I have not found this to be a problem, but I know some other people do.

I use a SpeedFeed IV-S on my 870. The pistol grip stocks pretty much require extended/enhanced/raised safeties, though.

13. Colby

Colby New Member

I sure agree with this. One hand hold on a shot gun - or even two - that wrist is taking a terrible beating that would normally be going into your shoulder/upper body. Wrists are delicate...

14. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Thank God for Castle Doctrine. You can lie in wait for any miscreant and as long as they pose a threat, real or perceived, you can blow them away with little fear of criminal prosecution. Civil suits are another story. Just remember, if the poor misguided soul is killed in the event, there will be ONLY one witness; YOU. Priceless.

15. Axxe55

personally i am not a fan of pistol gripped only shotguns. they tend to put most all the recoil right into the wrist. they are harder to chamber another shell if needed. nope, i still prefer a regular buttstock and shorter barrel for a HD shotgun. for me it's just more practical.

16. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Personally I don't see this "3rd world quality" in Remingtons, I own an 870 and so do many others in my area, I believe them to outnumber the Mossberg by a long margin in the folks in my area and I have handled many Mossbergs and if either gun is lacking in quality I always felt it to be the 500 not the 870. My duck hunting partner started out with his dad's 500 before he got his 870 and I used it a few times when we switched guns, the 500 functioned fine however it didn't feel as well made in my opinion, it seem things fit more loosely and there were more rattles and what not in it. My 870 feels like a good stout shotgun without all the rattles and looseness. Not saying the 500 is pos, it's just my opinion that the 870 is a little better gun. The one feature I did like on the Mossberg was the tang safety as I am left handed. Just my .02, I don't buy into this "modern Remingtons are junk" thing that seems to be circulating the internet.

17. Axxe55

well you have to understand there are those who either feed the internet rumours without any knowledge and keep the myths alive and there are those who feed off the rumours and have no actuall firsthand experiance with the quoted item. i have handled and shot many of the newer Remingtons and even own a couple, and do trust me on this, they are far from being, "Third World Junk" as some would have you to believe to be.

a co-worker of mine just bought a M700 BDL in 270 and a M870 Express for duck hunting. i looked them over and they were far from being junk. working the action on the 870, well it would smooth up with use, but would work fine for his needs and well it was an Express, so it just seemed like a utility shotgun to me. the M700 BDL was very nice and i could find no fault with it at all. simply a beautiful and well made rifle.

my advice when looking at others negative comments about Remington and their quality, please just check them out for yourself and then make a decision. don't believe everything you read on the internet.

18. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

In my area, just about every gun owner/hunter I know has a 500. Literally. They're extremely popular around here. Why, I'm not exactly sure. Some may have bad experiences with a mossberg, some with a remington. The point is, despite what you see on the internet, go see how each gun feels in YOUR hands. For me personally, the Mossberg felt better in my hands. The Remington didn't. The finish didn't seem as good and I liked the 'looseness' of the 500 better. But that's ME. Do I think the Mossberg is a better shotgun than the remington? Yes I do. But that doesn't mean the next guy does.