A Little 4 Wheelin'

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by mrm14, Dec 9, 2012.

1. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzXVLbs41Ew[/ame]

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's some badass stuff right there!

3. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

A lot of abuse on that machine.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

"A lot of abuse on that machine."

That kind of machine is made to be abused.

That machine is kind is kind like a steel badger.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. truggles

truggles New Member

WOW!!!
    Could we get a few motor specs on that bad boy??

6. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

right up to where the front wheel broke off.

Heck, that's probably the only part of that video I could do with my YJ.

:)

7. JSStryker

JSStryker New Member

These are the kind of idiots I prefer to stay away from when I am out 4 wheeling.

8. zedpapa

zedpapa Member Supporter

That idiot is doing nothing but destroying the trail and making it easier for the treehuggers to get trails closed. He doesn't have much skill either.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

I don't get what the fuss is about when people complain about "tearing up the trails". We've gone wheeling on atvs and 4x4 trucks and unless your digging a big hole with a trackhoe and leavin it the land will be fine. Vegetation will regrow and you won't be able to tell anyone was ever there.

We also go wheeling on private property so the opinion of treehuggers fall on deaf ears....nobody cares cause its private property.

10. JSStryker

JSStryker New Member

Problem is on public land the trail starts out as x feet wide, then idiots like those in the video cause it to expand to x+y feet, then others follow on expanding it to x+y+z feet wide, then the weather begins causing erosion soon the treehuggers start taking pictures and beginning to bitch how 4 wheelers are messing up the trails and then soon the trail gets closed or severely restricted, same applies to gun ranges on public land most of us take care of the range picking up empties, removing trash but it only takes a few idiots not doing their part to cause the range to be closed.

11. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

As dragunovsks says, this kind of wheelin' doesn't occur on public lands..So who should care or even give an eff?

12. TCH2FLY

TCH2FLY New Member

In the east vegetation can grow back given some relief but out west it is a different story, damage to active trails can last almost indefinitely due to the limited growing seasons. No growth means runoff during the snow and rain causing further damage. I've seen closed trails take years to recover. In Moab, Utah there are Crytobiotic Soils that are extremely vulnerable to damage. There are studies that suggest that it takes 5-7 years to rebuild the surface damage caused by a foot print while the full recovery of the nutrients may take 50 years, imagine what a tire would do.

In the last 35 years I've four-wheeled most of Colorado, Utah and parts of Cali and I can assure you stuff like that occurs on public lands, I have witnessed it firsthand.
    I have also spent many volunteer hours along with the guys in my 4x4 club and the Forest Service repairing damage and rebuilding trails so that the FS doesn't close them. There are cases where the damage and abuse was too wide spread and they were closed forever to vehicles.
    Back east there is far less public land and so the private off-road parks provide an outlet for users but when someone watches a video like that it is impossible to know whether it is public or private land.
    The anti 4-wheelin groups are just like the anti-gun groups who don't get why we have guns so they decide we don't need them. Anti off-road doesn't understand 4-wheeling so they look for any opportunity to make users look bad. Don't gun owners rant and rave about the term "assault rifle" or cry out when somebody calls an AR a "machine gun" because of the damage it does to the image of the gun owner .... same thing with the 4-wheel community.
    So I care and I give an eff about how 4-wheeling appears to others because I know that it can result in more trail closures when someone mistakes private land for public and/or sees only the destruction of the land .... it might mean one less trail for me to explore :mad:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012