Firearms Talk banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
As I’ve spent some time now with this revolver, including cleaning the interior parts, I’ve noted that it does display some evidence of good workmanship. This generation of 85 also seems to have some features that are not present on some of the more recent versions of the 85 and the new 856 series. The tapered under lug on the barrel, with detent that engages the ejector rod. The barrel itself being one piece, as it appears that Taurus went to a barrel/liner with a separate shroud. The edges are just more melted (this may be a bi-product of the high polish on this one, but I seem to remember my friends blued 85 seeming similarly smooth on the edges).

Seems odd for me to say about a Taurus, but…they don’t make them like this anymore. So, maybe I just need to explore Taurus revolvers of the mid 90s.

The trigger will never be what a S&W is in DA. And I have a hard time getting used to it. It is just different. The S&W has an early lock-up that you can feel and that makes the DA pull more predictable, repeatable and for me, more precise, which I just like better.

·
Premium Member
14,858 Posts
My main carry is a Ruger LCR because 16 oz loaded is nice. If I want heavy loads I have a Ruger SP101 357 2.25". Also have it in 3" with a hammer. 357 performs much better in the 3". The Taurus revolvers from the 90's were very decent guns. I have not kept up on the newer ones but the Trackers look interesting.

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
It happens less than seldom. Nobody with a LOT of experience shooting both revolvers and pistols will say a revolver isn't more reliable.
To really give it a fair shake we would have to strictly define reliability, and put it to a test.

-Is it susceptibility to the elements?
-Is it opportunity for ingress of debris to cause a malfunction or negatively impact operation to fire, operation to feed and extract, operation to lockup, etc. ?
-is it ability to feed multiple profiles of bullet?
-is it round count before cleaning is required to address issues negatively impacting feeding, extraction, or ejection?
-is it round count between parts failure?

Once ammo issues clear up, maybe I should put the little snubby through the 2,000 round challenge I’ve done with a few of my autoloaders. 2,000 no cleaning. If it gets hard to extract rounds or hard to load rounds requiring increased effort, equivalent to tapping the slide forward then it does not pass.

I’ve started an entry page in my shooting log book for the 85 but have not initiated a 2k round test for it. The entries to date are more about ammo performance And just for keeping track of round count. So far it has only had a single failure to fire but that was from a faulty primer that required 3 strikes to fire, so I do not attribute that to function of the firearm itself, but rather to that particular round.

Might be an interesting project.

·
Premium Member
14,858 Posts
Did actually see a Ruger GP100 basically do both at the same time when it locked up the cylinder from rotation and release due to a broken part. It isn’t common, but it does happen occasionally. Bad thing about a revolver going down, it that it usually require tools to fix, instead of a mag change or a quick slide manipulation.
I had a Redhawk lock up when a primer backed out on a factory round. I was not able to close the cylinder on a reload with the SP101 when a tiny piece of residue got behind the star. A S&W 638 went bye bye when it locked itself. Had to take it to a gunsmith as it could not be shipped loaded. I wont buy another revolver with a Hillary Hole.

·
Supporting Member
13,317 Posts
SSGN
One FINE looking Revolver! Like those Grips too!
You know what they think South of the Boarder! A Chrome or Polished Shinny Gun kill you much better Signor ! :p

But over the years I had two Tarus Model 85 Revolvers for CCW and they were both good guns. I ended up giving them to member's of the family that wanted a CCW but funds were a little scarce raising young families and all, And being for Self Defense never shot them a whole lot! So I do not knock them although S&W36s are my favorite as well as the S&W Model 60s.:)

Reactions: SSGN_Doc

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had a Redhawk lock up when a primer backed out on a factory round. I was not able to close the cylinder on a reload with the SP101 when a tiny piece of residue got behind the star. A S&W 638 went bye bye when it locked itself. Had to take it to a gunsmith as it could not be shipped loaded. I wont buy another revolver with a Hillary Hole.
I’ve seen the first two a few times on revolvers. Seen bullets walk forward (reloaded induced issues by not using a good crimp and using heavy loads) and bind the cylinder. I have not witnessed any problems with the S&W locks, but I prefer the no lock versions for aesthetics anyway.

Having been a bit of a range rat, range worker, competitive shooter, I’ve seen some revolver failures. I think if someone hasn’t seen them fail they may not have seen a lot of revolvers fired a lot.

my main point was that WHEN a revolver goes down it often isn‘t a a quick fix by employment of “immediate action” procedures. When autos “fail” it is often a matter that can be worked through pretty quickly.

Watching a guy run a revolver (model 66 using light .38 rounds) in a practical match, he was scrubbing the cylinder bores after two relays, because the rounds he was using were causing round seating issues as well as sticky extraction. Not a true failure, but a notable bit of info regarding a different kind of ammo sensitivity. Indeed induced by user choice in reloading components. But he was going to make adjustments to loading components to address the issue. Semi-auto is just as susceptible to such load choice considerations, but revolvers don’t get a free pass here.

I’m not anti-revolver. But many have not explored the vulnerability of the revolver and take “more reliable” to mean “trouble free” . I just say they have different problems.

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
SSGN
One FINE looking Revolver! Like those Grips too!
You know what they think South of the Boarder! A Chrome or Polished Shinny Gun kill you much better Signor ! :p
Well, one YouTube video made the point that a stainless snub nose shows up better to a potential threat and may contribute to deterrent factor. I'm not much of one to subscribe to relying on deterrent factor, but I guess it could be more visually intimidating from the muzzle when the whole front profile is visible.

·
Supporting Member
13,317 Posts
Yes SSGN

I think you made a point! There would be no problem seeing it if there was any light at all when it was pulled out!
Once again that is a nice Revolver!

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
2,831 Posts
Here on the border, when i haul my 4in. 686. Everyone pays attention. Revs rule. Always will.
Open carry it sounds like. Assuming, to your reference, "Everyone pays attention".. your open carrying your firearm so people notice it.. Be careful, you could become the target ..

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Open carry it sounds like. Assuming, to your reference, "Everyone pays attention".. your open carrying your firearm so people notice it.. Be careful, you could become the target ..
I think we carry because we all feel like we either are or will be a target someday. I'd rather not feel the need.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have never looked seriously at a Taurus.
Seen too many with factory problems and hear the stories.

A couple of friends have some newer revolvers and like them, a lot.

Son just bought a M85, to carry, instead of his Commander. I had a SP101 .357 and it was a tank.

Trip to the range and impressions, so far, are favorable for the Taurus.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I will never own something as ugly as the DA semis.But after dumping all my military style long guns,I found myself buying a black rifle and regret my selling off. I didn’t expect anything like this in the 90s
Shotgun Electrical wiring Wood Gun accessory Hand tool
Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I will never own something as ugly as the DA semis.But after dumping all my military style long guns,I found myself buying a black rifle and regret my selling off. I didn’t expect anything like this in the 90s View attachment 248620 View attachment 248621
I’m not much of one to sell guns off unless they have presented me with some sort of problem, or for use as trading or “upgrading” stock. In those cases I will sell something.

I took another step in the snubby revolver world by adding a .357 S&W In the form of a 640-1 Pro series.

I still shoot my “ugly plastic semis“ better. But that may be more of an indicator of where I need to work harder. But for now the semis are just a more effortless gun for me to shoot well. And that is with the “dreaded DA/SA trigger” that is said by the internet to be “impossible to master”.

Range trip indicates where I need to put in some work.

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Tool
White Light Recreation Circle Auto part
Wood Measuring instrument Art Gauge Font
Revolver Product Sleeve Font Trigger

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
I’m not much of one to sell guns off unless they have presented me with some sort of problem, or for use as trading or “upgrading” stock. In those cases I will sell something.

I took another step in the snubby revolver world by adding a .357 S&W In the form of a 640-1 Pro series.

I still shoot my “ugly plastic semis“ better. But that may be more of an indicator of where I need to work harder. But for now the semis are just a more effortless gun for me to shoot well. And that is with the “dreaded DA/SA trigger” that is said by the internet to be “impossible to master”.

Range trip indicates where I need to put in some work.

View attachment 248637 View attachment 248638 View attachment 248639 View attachment 248640
Great warm weather carry but love to switch from the LROs to more dependable sized pistols
Wood Personal protective equipment Handgun holster Strap Fashion accessory

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I had a SP101 Hammerless .357

With mags, crude sights, DAO, short barrel; my groups were very similar. 2" +/-

Totally acceptable, IMHO. Minute of Bad Guy
the group sizes are not my only issue. The central point of impact fluctuation from my point of aim tells me I need to be more consistent in my grip, trigger finger placement, and trigger controlto ensure when I come up onto target initially I’m going to put rounds where I want. Also, maintaining that grip and getting back on target to point of aim.

with the Px4 compact, things are fairly automatic for me in the grip, natural point of aim, recoil management, and follow up shot areas. Pretty much just sit and stack rounds with the Beretta.

And I get the point that 2-3” groups are fine in a stress situation. I push myself in non-stress situations, because I want more margin for actual stress shooting. If I open up a 1.5“ group to 4x the size, I’m in 6“. If I open up a 3” group to 4x the size I’m printing in 12” And thanks about the minimum I find acceptable as my own bar of performance.

I also,really miss the shooting pit I used to practice in, because I could do more “practical” practice. Shut down for logging, then never opened back to public shooting. Now I’m on static ranges again and single lane linear shooting has serious limitations once one has been able to utilize a 180 degree arc for target placement, draw from a holster and have a shot timer work, because it was not taking in the shots of other shooters.

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Registered
7,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Great warm weather carry but love to switch from the LROs to more dependable sized pistols View attachment 248653
The Px4 has become a pretty trusted and comfortable, pistol for me. Nearing the 4k round count on it. Ran it 2k without cleaning. Never a bobble, or hiccup since I began the round count. It gets cleaned and carried now. I also run a CZ P07 sometimes, but the trigger is just not as nice. It has also not had any malfunctions.

One of the things I forgot about revolvers was their “sensitive spots” that need some detailed cleaning attention. Forcing cone face and front of the cylinder, and the ejector star. They can get gunky in a pretty low round count. The auto loaders seem remarkably clean in comparison.

I haven’t put it to the test, but I doubt I could run my revolvers for 2k rounds without a cleaning, before they would start to present problems in loading and extraction, or even begin getting sluggish in cylinder rotation.

Reactions: PGM
21 - 40 of 46 Posts