Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Definition of antithesis

1a: the direct opposite

For folks who’ve been on this forum a while and paid attention, you’d probably realize I’ve come to a set of certain preferences in a handgun.

Auto loader, polymer frame, usually black, DA/SA (surely nothing shiny or flashy), no active safety, mid-size/compact. Nothing Taurus.

So the most recent acquisition opportunity presented to me is…

Sleeve Wood Everyday carry Table Silver

·
Administrator
26,834 Posts
Nice revolver. When the day comes that you need to smack somebody with a pistol, you will be glad for a bit of honest steel!

I don't knock other folk's guns- but when a Glock fan starts badmouthing my BBQ gun- a nickeled flat latch Chief's Special- with pearl grips- I just tell them to come back and talk to me when their gun has been selling like crazy for 71 years. :p

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have that box check twice with Ruger and more checks with other revolvers. They don't FTF or FTE.
Did actually see a Ruger GP100 basically do both at the same time when it locked up the cylinder from rotation and release due to a broken part. It isn’t common, but it does happen occasionally. Bad thing about a revolver going down, it that it usually require tools to fix, instead of a mag change or a quick slide manipulation.

Reactions: JTJ

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice revolver. When the day comes that you need to smack somebody with a pistol, you will be glad for a bit of honest steel!

I don't knock other folk's guns- but when a Glock fan starts badmouthing my BBQ gun- a nickeled flat latch Chief's Special- with pearl grips- I just tell them to come back and talk to me when their gun has been selling like crazy for 71 years. :p
I appreciate a good revolver. I’ve wanted to put another couple of S&Ws back into the collection. A nice 4” .357 and a good ol’ Model 36 stubby would be fine. But someone wanted rid of this piece and offered it up for a really reasonable amount. 1996 manufacture year, and my guess is it never had a complete box of ammo run through it. So…

Here we are with a Brazilian high polished stainless revolver from a gun company I’ve returned a lot of pistols to, in my range/shop employee days. But in fairness I usually gave the Taurus 85 a pass and didn’t see problems with them. That was a large part of why I did go ahead a take this deal.

Until the market straightens back out and I can find a couple vintage Smiths at reasonable prices this will give me a .38 again that I can use for the time being. I like a DA revolver for teaching new shooters, but I generally like a bit more barrel and grip than a snobby to help with recoil mitigation and comfort for the new shooters.

It also gives me or Taurus a chance to mellow my opinion of their products. We’ll see how that goes.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doc , nice looking revolver . May change your mind onTaurus , have fun with your new toy. Can you resist polishing that bad boy .
I’m actually considering taking it to a local refinisher and having him bead blast the whole thing.

Reactions: Clifffalling

·
Registered
995 Posts

Do you live in Louisiana?

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Did actually see a Ruger GP100 basically do both at the same time when it locked up the cylinder from rotation and release due to a broken part. It isn’t common, but it does happen occasionally. Bad thing about a revolver going down, it that it usually require tools to fix, instead of a mag change or a quick slide manipulation.
Some people can break an anvil.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts

Lol! When i took my wife shopping for a handgun a couple years ago... she immediately gravitated toward a full size 1911. The guy behind the counter was all like, well little lady thats a lot 'o gun... blah, blah, blah.
She takes it and says to him, as she holds it and moves it back and forth... " I really like this. It feels solid, so if you needed to whack someone it would to the job" The guy's eyes got real big...
I couldn't help it and bust out laughing... the guy couldn't decide if she meant 'whack' someone, or "whack" someone! She is from Jersey btw.

·
Premium Member
5,317 Posts
Lol! When i took my wife shopping for a handgun a couple years ago... she immediately gravitated toward a full size 1911. The guy behind the counter was all like, well little lady thats a lot 'o gun... blah, blah, blah.
She takes it and says to him, as she holds it and moves it back and forth... " I really like this. It feels solid, so if you needed to whack someone it would to the job" The guy's eyes got real big...
I couldn't help it and bust out laughing... the guy couldn't decide if she meant 'whack' someone, or "whack" someone! She is from Jersey btw.
Being from Jersey, both of course. :giggle:

Gotta love a sidearm that fits "like a glove." It's sometimes surprising what ends up feeling right. Particularly to little guys behind the counter.

Of the smaller revolvers, probably the S&W Model 60 with 3" bbl is my favorite. Decent balance, heavy enough to hold some of that recoil in check, with enough heft for accuracy without being a burden for carry.

Hands-down favorite out of all the revolvers out there: Ruger's KRH-444 / 5044, .44mag, with 4.2" bbl. Stellar balance, accurate, durable, and with enough heft to tame the .44mag rounds.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In furthering the antithesis:
After a few shooting sessions, the little Brazilian snub nose shows some promise. Opened it up, cleaned out the old dried oil and gunk. This improved trigger feel. Shoots decent enough groups that it makes me want to try harder with the revolver to get the most out of it.

Since I don’t really do Taurus, or shiny I also don’t open carry, and therefore never went down the “BBQ gun” path. But I figured a flashy gun needed prettier grips and a better looking holster. The Altamont grips also serve to give me a bette4 opportunity to establish a better grip on the revolver after being out of snub nose practice for quite some time. The Azula holster may not be covered in intricate designs or display deep bone shaping, but it’s a big step away from my usual Kydex inside the waistband holsters.

Hat Sleeve Textile Air gun Revolver

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
It happens less than seldom. Nobody with a LOT of experience shooting both revolvers and pistols will say a revolver isn't more reliable.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts