A handful of classics

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Chainfire, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Edit: Ooops, this post makes more sense with the pic attached....

Just for fun, and because it is hot enough to keep me inside. (woke up at 5:00AM to 78 degrees and calling for a 108 heat index today)

Some classic handguns from the last century in my collection. (in no particular order) Noticeably missing are a Luger, Makarov and Glock and a .44 Mag. I am holding out for an unaltered Russian Mac., A Glock is on my short list, but I may not shell out for the P-08. A .44 mag deal is in the works.

The Dryese was a favorite private purchase for German officers in the First World War. The Bodeo served the Italian army for a long time; this particular Bodeo is the oldest known survivor, it was the 85th production gun. The Colt with the lanyard loop served the British Army in an emergency purchase after Dunkirk. The .45ACP revolver is a modern reproduction.
    The Nagant revolver is a 1915 production, never upgraded and not import marked. The P-38 look alike is a post war P-1 and the Hi-Power is an Argentine made gun. (close enough for shooters) The Smith 65-2, .357 Mag. was one of the standard "cop guns" when I was growing up.

What "must have classics" do you see as missing?

DSCN7843.JPG

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Fred_G, Rick1967 and Sniper03 like this.
  2. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Colt snubby. an S&W snubby will do but the Colts are a notch above.
    S&W model 39 or model 59, the original wonder nine. The first high production cop semi auto.
    S&W model 10 or 15. What 90% of the police carried before the semi autos became standard.
    Ruger revolver, a Security Six is a great choice.
    High Standard 22 target pistol.
    Colt model 1903 Pocket Hammerless.
    Remington model 51 the original, not the remake.
    Everyone deserves one Luger
    Walther PP, PPK, or PPK/S

3. Chainfire

Thanks for the suggestions. I see my photo did not post, I will try again.

4. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

I see no Owlheads. No percussion nor flint. Just sayin'.

5. sheepdawg

It's up now. The S&W model 39 or one of it's close relatives would fill a big hole in that picture. It was developed in the 50s as the replacement for the military 1911. The armed forces rejected the 9mm. round so S&W made a successful play to law enforcement. Very nice pistol to shoot, sits in the hand comfortably. Weight absorbs recoil. Fairly common and still somewhat reasonable in price but value is going up. Stay away from the early ones, the 39-2 is the one to get. A 639 is a gem too but as heavy as a fire hydrant.

Rifling82 likes this.
  6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Gotta have at least one top break .32. Iver Johnson or H&R, but that's enough guns there to make a snowflake melt down, and go looking for their safe space and a puppy.

FWIW, love my Hi-Power, but also picked up an FEG look-a-like that is double action- and pretty darn nifty. One area where there is a shortfall in my collection- need a Colt SAA.

7. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

A .455 Webley would be a good addition. A cap and ball revolver, my suggestions would be an 1851 Navy or 1860 Army.

8. BK3220

BK3220 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Ruger single action revolver. Single-six, Bearcat, Blackhawk or Vaquero, all great guns.

Les Moore likes this.
  9. Chainfire

Ive got a handful of top breaks, but I thought I was the only one who cared about them. Got Owl heads and diamonds.

10. Chainfire

Yep, I am on the lookout for one Webly or Enfield. I am going to pass on the black powder, I have too much other stuff going on.

EclecticShooter likes this.
  11. Chainfire

I came late to the Hi Power, I wish I had discovered them many moons ago. You know, the Cz 75 shoots a lot like the Hi Power. Its good stuff.

12. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

99169D0C-1B30-4FC7-8D90-FF31D1AF1CE4.jpeg
    Funny I just picked this one up this past Saturday. 4th Model S&W in .38. Real MOP factory grips, tight and timing is fine. Ammo arrives tomorrow via the Brown truck of happiness.

13. Chainfire

That is a really nice Smith. Congrats! My son talked me out of my Smith top breaks for his Smith collection. These are the ones will shoot. There are some others in a box around here somewhere of ones that I would not.
    DSCN7847.JPG

Rifling82 likes this.
  14. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Very nice! My wife took one look at mine and said sh'd like to have it restored with a polish and re-nickle and then she wants a thigh holster for it! :D

Rick1967 likes this.
  15. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

C96 - aka Broomhandle Mauser

H&K P7

Any Nagant revolver for that cool method of ensuring a good gas-seal.

Any AutoMag.

SRK97 and EclecticShooter like this.
  16. Chainfire

Dammit man that sound sexy! Or I may just bet getting old.

Wambli likes this.
  17. Chainfire

There is a Nagant revolver in the first photo, non refurbished, non-imported 1915 date, with Imperial Russian markings intact. That old gun probably came back from WWI. The old gun has corrosion that looks like bloody fingerprints on it, and it looks like one side laid in the mud for a while..... I like to fantasize that it was a German capture, then an American capture, but who knows, it may have come in a box of Cracker Jacks.

A Broomhandle would be nice as would a Luger, but I have to sell more Mosins to make that happen. I also noticed that a pretty nice wartime P-38 went on Gunbroker yesterday for around $600.00; I could go for that! I am trying to work a deal with an FFL on pushing some Mosins out his door, so who knows. If he wants to be too greedy, I will just start listing them on Bungroper.

18. sheepdawg

Like I said everyone deserves to own a Luger. The P-38 has a lousy trigger, The C96 though beautiful and surprisingly balanced is higher than a cat's back for a decent one.

There's a reason the Luger was the number one souvenir for the Allied troops in the European theater. As much as you like 1911s I'm sure you would dig the **** out of the 1911s antithesis. You can find a nice shooter for under $1K. Once you see the toggle in action you'll be hooked.

19. aarondhgraham

aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

Here's my collection of "Classics".

I call them "The Harem",,,
    All witchy women of one sort or another.

[​IMG]

• Jezebel - Model 629, N Frame in .44 Magnum
    • Bridget - Model 686, L Frame in .357 Magnum
    • Morgana - Model 67, K Frame in .38 Special
    • Lilith - Model 63, J Frame in .22 LR

Aarond

20. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

Nope my wife is gorgeous and very sexy!

Chainfire likes this.