A Great Day for Iowa

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by USMCjtm, Dec 31, 2010.

1. USMCjtm

USMCjtm New Member

Tomorrow Iowa Concealed Carry Law changes.
    www,iowacarry.org

Iowa becomes a "SHALL" issue state, no longer will it be up to the local sheriff(and his personal beliefs) to "give" you a permit.

Semper Fi

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Excellent news! Happy New Year.

3. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Good news. I was starting to worry about Iowa.

4. USMCjtm

USMCjtm New Member

To be fair, the sheriff in my county has been VERY supportive of the 2nd Amendment, BUT the is a sheriff in a neighboring county that REFUSED to issue a CCW for any reason. Glad that the "ball" is in OUR court now!!!!

5. freefall

freefall New Member

So what states will they reciprocate with?

6. USMCjtm

USMCjtm New Member

I don't remember all of them but, Mo.,Ar.,Ok.,and Tx. are on the list, but NOT Ks.(I travel to Tx. quite a bit.

7. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

I know Ohio reciprocates Iowa, so thats one for you.

8. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

Great! Keep us posted with how it goes for you getting yours. We might move back to Iowa this year and it's nice to know I'll be able to carry if we do. Hats off to former Gov. Culver for signing the law!

9. USMCjtm

USMCjtm New Member

I already have my CCW. The problem was some sheriff's would not issue a permit for ANY reason. Now they SHALL issue unless the applicant is disqualified by law.
    I saw a sheriff from another county on the news last night state that anyone could get a permit WITHOUT ever firing a handgun!!!!!!!! That is NONSENSE and as sheriff he should know that. ANY new applicant MUST go through a NRA or ILEA (Iowa Law Enforcement Association) certified course to get their permit. If you already have your permit there are three different ways to renew your permit:
    1- you can go through the NRA/ILEA course.
    2- you can just do the shooting portion with a NRA/ILEA instructor.
    3- you can let your permit lapse, and your sheriff will use your old certification to issue you a new permit.
    I don't understand the 3rd option, but that's the way the new law reads.

Semper Fi

10. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

Well, things went well for you getting yours already. I lived in Dubuque County and didn't even attempt to apply there. Here in Pa there is no problem - both me and the wife are LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) holders. I liked Vermont's law though when I lived there - if you were a citizen, you could carry.

11. USMCjtm

USMCjtm New Member

To the best of my knowledge, Iowa does NOT reciprocate with any other state.
    Iowa CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info

Iowa's permit is good in Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas.
    EDIT: The following states honor a "residential " (whatever that means) permit Michigan, Utah, and Vermont.

Semper Fi

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  12. CourtJester

CourtJester Active Member

I assume that the sherrif can no longer list CC only for hunting, trapping, and target shooting now????
    That's how my current CCP is listed.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Great news. I'm hoping CA will change from "may issue" to "shall issue" soon.

14. USMCjtm

USMCjtm New Member

I honestly don't know how that works, my reads "hunting, trapping, target, and personal defense. I'll see what I can find out.

Semper Fi

15. CourtJester

CourtJester Active Member

Thank you kind sir.
    Mine reads "hunting, trapping, and targets. To and from"
    I would prefer just a straight personal defense

16. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Glad to hear this kind of news in the new year. Unfortunately our gas tax in Oregon went up so not all of us have the good news.

17. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Doc, I laugh every time taxes go up in Oregon, and every time some Liberal complains; I ask who they voted for, and just smile!! :D

18. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I for one didnt vote for the new ass hat. Well the new/old asshat.

19. freefall

freefall New Member

I think it's really cool the way they list "States that honor Iowa's permit: etc, etc." "State permits that Iowa honors: Iowa". Bunch of ass hats.:cool: I feel like calling my State legislators and say "Screw Iowans". Of course nobody needs a permit here so what good would that do?

20. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

I don't know what this "residential" word means either as to it's application to Vermont. It is my understanding that if you are from anywhere, it is legal for a person to carry concealed, no CCW permit required.