A great american day!!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by SGT-MILLER, Aug 22, 2009.

1. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I went to my range to volunteer as a range safety officer/magazine loader for a machine gun shoot for the Youth Marine Corps and the local Boy Scouts. It turned out to be one of the most full-filling days I've had recently. The camraderie was outstanding. It was great to help out with keeping those magazines topped so those young kids could keep sending lead downrange. Here's a list of what was used for the shoot ( I got to shoot these also for my efforts as ammo guy - a BIG plus!!!!):

M1 Garand

M1903 Springfield

M-14

M-1 Carbine

Uzi 9x19mm (fully automatic)

MP-40 9x19mm (fully automatic)

M-3 Grease Gun (fully automatic)

Thompson Sub-Machine Gun (fully automatic)

Sten 9x19mm (fully automatic)

FAL .308 rifle

AR-15 Rifle

Armalite .50 BMG

(there were other rifles, and muskets, at the other end of the line that I didn't really get to because I was pretty busy...lol.)

Targets were set up from 25 yards to 300 yards out. It was great working with these kids. These kids have given me hope for the next generation because they all displayed great respect and manners throughout the whole event. I spoke with a retired Gunnery Sergeant there and we even had a competition between us two. We both faced off to determine who could hit the 300 yard steel target the most with the M-14 and the M-1 Garand. The result: A Tie!!!! We each got perfect scores!!!! After that we shook each others hand and developed an even greater respect for each other. He was a credit to the Marine Corp.

Another good moment was firing the Armalite .50 BMG rifle at one of the 300 yard steel targets. Granted, it's not hard to hit a 300 yard 24 inch target with a .50 BMG. Those things are pretty flat shooting. It was still fun to experience the muzzle blast.

Another great experience is shooting a first series Thompson Sub-Machine gun .45 ACP on full auto, using hollowpoints. You wnat to know what is worse than a 1911 with hollowpoints, the Thompson is your answer. I would glady take that to war even today. Those things as such a joy to shoot. The recoil is soft, and easily manageable. No wonder every one wanted them in WWII.

Basically, this day has been great, and it re-affirmed my faith in today's youth and was a great example of the true America that is still out there.

2. Donnyj

Donnyj New Member

That sounds like a great day! A lot better than mine. I worked.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Great post SGT. Nice to hear the local scouts are doing something other than quilting these days. :D

*envy and jealousy* :cool:

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Great stuff. We need all the hope we can get these days. :cool:

5. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Its nice to hear a positive story for a change. Grats man and I wont say im not jelouse!

6. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

I damn well will! :D Good for you Sgt. Miller, keep up that good mentoring to them boys. :D

Jack

7. easterner123

easterner123 New Member

im jealous! great to hear other kids my age aren't all hopeless

8. Robert NC

Robert NC New Member

Great Job SGT!!! Glad you enjoyed it. Also thanks for confirming that we do shoot 300 meter targets. Had a non-military argue with me that you couldn't do it without a scope. Showed him the manual, still wanted to argue.

GOOD WORK> KEEP IT UP

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I know a group of kids that are going to have huge grins on their faces for life because of today!! Great Job Sarge!!

10. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Robert NC, yeah the 300 meter targets were not that hard to hit at all with open sights. I will admit that I had to concentrate a little harder with the M1 Garand, though. The shorter stock than the M-14 was causing me to take my time a little bit...lol.

11. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

U.S.M.C. K-D Course, rifle qualification. 200,, 300,, and 500. One can hit very well at 500, in the prone position with good range dope.
    Good shooting and job well done SGT.
    Jeff

12. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Well done, mate! Those kids have a great teacher.