A good time to sell?

Discussion in 'Gun Shows' started by GunLover1969, Dec 20, 2012.

1. GunLover1969

GunLover1969 New Member

There's a gun show coming up in January in my area. Members of the organization that puts the show on can legally sell to each other because they've already had background checks.

As attached as I am to my AR and two AKs, I'm thinking now would a good time to sell given that I could probably get top dollar in the current market. Would you?

Read my blog - search My Gun Diary

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'd say now is a good time for

target practice...

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

There's no way I would sell... I was going to sell my SKS since i got my AR, ain't happening now.

4. 70cuda383

70cuda383 New Member

My problem if I sold anything, is that I'd have to turn around and buy something to replace it, so no, I don't see myself selling anything any time soon, even though I have 2 ARs --yea, I can only shoot one at a time, but, I like having a spare!

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Im considering selling my dpms panther or trading it off. Put all the dpms parts back in it and get top dollar for it and buy something else. We have two bcm and two rra ar15 an ak a scar17 and numerous ww2 and bolt guns.

Now is the time to get rid of those not so good ar15 you couldnt give away if you have something better.

6. Donn

Donn Active Member

Can't decide. I'd like to flip my Bushmaster, take advantage of the panic. Was gonna use the money toward an all steel Colt my LGS was holding for me. Don't know if it survived the run on the store yesterday.

7. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I have invested too much time and money into mine. Besides, one day your going to need it and not have it anymore. It'll be too hard to get another later.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

If you sell off your high demand firearms, you may be unable to replace them economically. Or at, all for that matter.
    I bought mine because I wanted them, not because I thought I might be able to flip them when some douche shot up a school.
    IMHO, if you avoid getting hosed in the panic, this is the time to buy more, not sell. I placed two lowers on order at my LGS on Monday. They claim that they will eventually come in, I'll believe it when I see it.

9. GunLover1969

GunLover1969 New Member

Maybe I'll sell when I'm 80 years old and can no longer make it out to the range due to a hip replacement or severe incontinence. I enjoy shooting my AR and AKs far too much to sell them now. Besides, they look oh so good hanging on the wall as art work.

10. bonney

bonney New Member

I'd sell any "spares" and I'd sell all the "non-combat" gear, while there are still fools who will buy them, and get ready to FIGHT(for real).

11. twobilly

twobilly New Member

Beans and Bullets Boy,s buy Bean,s and Bullets

12. bonney

bonney New Member

as in bullets to reload, don't waste your money on factory ammo, except .22's. Use a .22lr conversion for most of your rifle practice, and be realistic about what a pistol can do. if it's beyond 5 yds, it's not pistol stuff, and beyond 10 ft, best have earplugs in your ears and be using cover, cause most of your shots will miss the man, and most of the hits will be poor hits. that's what happens, be real about it. if you need more range, better have a fighting rifle.

13. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

I can't tell you how to work your finances, but I would darn sure keep at least one, and that would be the most reliable one.

14. GunLover1969

GunLover1969 New Member

One AR, two AKs, a mini 14 and a SKS. I think I'll keep them all!

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I am going to take my mini 30 to the show tomorrow. I have a mini 14 and an AR. I was thinking about selling the AR but my wife can shoot it because of the adjustable stock and she has been shooting her 15-22 so it stays. I want to replace the Mini 30 with a bolt like the Ruger Scout or similar but looking at the ammo situation I might be better off with a hunting cartridge like the 270. There was 270 available at normal prices but 223, 308 and 7.62x39 were getting scarce or nonexistent.

16. oldbutspry

oldbutspry New Member

There's a show in Atlanta tomorrow and I am thinking of selling some of my extra stuff. I have bought lots of high cap mags over the years - some even for guns I don't have or don't even want. If I can get a good price, I am thinking of selling 2 AR pistols, a Bushmaster CAR and 3 complete lowers.

I've always bought and never sold anything at a gun show. Do they mind if you sell a gun and then go get another and come back inside? Sounds silly, but I don't want to run afoul of the rules/etiquette. Will they mind if my wife has a purseful of mags when she comes inside?

The biggest problem I see is that not many people will have cash to buy anything even if they want to. Is there any way to get around this problem? Like maybe putting the guns on consignment at a local shop.

I got some of the old metal East German AK mags I bought back in '96 - are they worth more or less than the modern mags? If they aren't worth much then I'll just keep them but I don't really need 17 mags for my one AK (in addition to the 100 round drum).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  17. GunLover1969

GunLover1969 New Member

I sell my extra mags and accessories on gun broker. As far as going out and back in for more guns to sell, I don't see why not. I tape a sign to my back that says "for sale..." and the I put a description and price. Works like a charm. I also tape a for sale sign to the gun case.

18. oldbutspry

oldbutspry New Member

Well, prices weren't high enough to make me want to part with my stuff. The place was really busy but there were plenty of AR-15's available (and lots of other stuff). I was more tempted to buy than to sell but I resisted the impulse. Hopefully things will go back to normal without a ban. I think I will double my supply if I get the chance. :D

19. Ruger52

Ruger52 New Member

I bought a DPMS stripped lower, and built a gun. Mostly with BCM parts. Gesiell two stage trigger. Daniel front guards. It now sports a trijicon, with a magnifyer.

Just because it has a Panther roll mark, people won't give me **** for it. So I keep the best gun on the market. But after visiting the local gun show today, just having any AR is good.

After the panic, I am gonna build many more AR,s. With DPMS stripped lowers. They are as good as any. And I will command a good price. LOL

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Yes, selling surplus, truly surplus, stuff you have is a great idea. The time is right and you are sorta doing people a favor -- they'll be happy to pay a premium for what you have at this time, and they know they are... It's insurance to them. Win Win.