A good rail for a remington 700..?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by icallshotgun88, Oct 15, 2013.

1. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Looking for your suggestions on a good rail for a Remington 700 so I can mount a scope on it later..

The only one I saw at the store was a 20 MOA rail by Nightforce for $115

Thoughts?

2. hoovco

hoovco New Member

La rue makes a good rail for like 75 bucks.

3. sandog

sandog Member

+1 on the Farrell rails.

4. icallshotgun88

I decided to go with the 20 MOA Nightforce rail...

Got great reviews online and wasn't too expensive..

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

good choice nightforce is top notch.

6. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

JB weld is used to bed the base to the action.
    I own a model 788 Remington 308. I wanted a picatinny rail to mount my scope on it. I was stuck with buying a EGW. I got it in 20 moa so I could stretch the 308 out a bit. I used JB weld to bed the base to the action. I used 8541 tactical scope base install instructions. Google will get you were to the site. I have not shot out past 300 yet as I have mot had time to get to a range any farther.
    The reason why I bedded my base was the EGW did not fully meet the action with out a gap. I shot the gun before I bedded the base and it was all over the place. Talked to a friend and he suggested bedding it. Now it is a great shooter out to 300 so far.
    Good luck and hope this helps

Thomas

7. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Here is a picture of the gun

ForumRunner_20131016_214412.jpg

If you can see. This is the back of the base where I bedded it...

ForumRunner_20131016_214604.jpg

8. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I posted in the wrong thread. I was addressing the op post asking a question about installing a scope base on a 700. Whoops. Sorry!
    If a mod could move it I would appreciate it.

9. icallshotgun88

Thanks for your response..
    So basically, it isn't necessary to use JB to weld the rail to the receiver unless there is a gap?
    So if it bolt down the front part of the rail and there is no gap then I'm good to go and won't need JB weld, correct?

10. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

I would say it should be fine if no significant gap. The gap on my rifle was not that much. Mayne around .001
    Before I put the one piece picatinny on it shot great. Than I put the new base on it shot terrible. All over the page at 100. After I bed the base it shot great.
    I always use a torque wrench made by wheeler on my guns.