a good knife

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by unclebear, Sep 21, 2012.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I went camping with a few budies of mine and was suprised to find a couple forgot knives. With me my knife is one of the most important things I take with me anywhere.

I mean if your like me you don't have much money to go throwing around for a really flashy knife or anything of the nature. I've own several different knives over the years none of them expensive I've taken some old butcher knives and cut them down and made a leather sheath for them and it worked but so far my favorite knife is the AK bayonet its thick metal hard to break and cheap very very cheap depending on which one you get some are cheaper then others and they come with wire cutters.

So I guess my point of this rant is what do you all think about knives what works what doesnt.

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I find that too large of a knife is very cumbersome for most tasks. Sometimes I will have several knives on me, a three inch Gerber assisted opening lockback, a 2 3/4" folding Stockman and usually a Leatherman (lost it awhile ago).

Camping I use those, but the boys will always have a dozen or so more than that just to show off their knives.

3. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

That sounds familiar. I keep a small Winchester 3" lock blade on me at all times just for general purpose stuff. I carry a Buck path finder when hunting. It's a small fixed blade and just the perfect size for skinning or filleting. And I also carry a small machete or K-bar for chopping when I'm really in the sticks.

What works for me is a large heavy thick blade knife for chopping. A standard K-bar or old bayonet works well. These type of knives are just great general purpose hacking and pounding tools. I also don't want the blade too sharp or it will chip easy and just be dangerous.

A small slender razor sharp blade works of cutting.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

I carry a CRKT Natural on me most of the time. My medkit has a smaller CRKT (M-16) in it. My bug-out bag has a KA-Bar on the straps and some cute folder my wife got me with a magnesium strip in the handle for starting fires. There's a Leatherman Core in my bob, a cheaper multitool in my glove compartment, an exacto knife in my car kit in the back. The bug-out bag is always one of two places at all times: in my Jeep or on my back.

"Forgetting" a knife for me is like forgetting your skin.

Oh, and I have a Gerber Gator hatchet/knife combo in the bob too. Forgot about that one.

5. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Buck has brought most of their line back to US to be made. They are excellant quality at a fair price. No one knife will do the job. Just like handguns...a guy should have several.

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I was not aware of that about Buck! good for them! When did this happen pray tell?

7. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Buck USA announcement http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=view.newsMedia&contentID=266

Select your knife here....each one states where they are made. Then I advise going to Amazon and buy it.
    http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm

This site lists where some are made. http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/buck/

8. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

There are many good quality knives out there now at a decent price. But I kinda like my own. Though not everyone has the time, money, or desire to get into blacksmithing.

I am still new into it, so I am still learning the basics.

Attached Files:

• comp.jpg
      comp.jpg
      File size:
      33.3 KB
      Views:
  9. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

When hunting i carry my standard 3.25in folding gerber and a buck 110.
    They were both 30-35$ and i have used em for years with minimal maintenance required. For the price you will be hard pressed to find better knives.

Eturnsdale: Did you make the handle as well? What was your process with the blade?

10. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

Yes I made the handle.

It was one of the first that I made. But the more I learned, the more I realized I was doing it the way I liked when I first started. Hot worked, open die drop forging.

11. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

The handle is gorgeous for your first blade it looks pretty good to.
    Griffin81 does absolutely phenomenal work. PM him for tips and advice.

12. Eturnsdale

Eturnsdale New Member

The handle was pretty easy. But Id done a lot of wood working in the past.

If I run into any questions Ill give him a shout.

13. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in agreement here. It is rare that I need more than a good pocket knife with a good edge on them. I have never carried a fixed blade, and have never missed one. If I need a big blade, I would prefer it to be an axe.

I currently carry a Ken Onion designed Kershaw, that I have worked with every day for the last four years. It is a spring assist, easy one hand opener. (great when you are on a ladder). This is an example of a high quality, low cost knife. This blade cost about $40.00 and would be hard to beat at any price.

14. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I have a Kershaw spring open assist. I got it in 08 or 09 at wallyworld. It's American made.! My favorite knife by far. However, I also carry a leatherman mulittool, but that tends to stay in the car.

I have a fixed blade buck knife that my friend gave me before he died. That stays in the BOB, unless I go hunting, in which case I take it with me.

15. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Top one is a gerber profile. Had it for a few years it has never failed.
    Got the little one today so i can carry something more discreet in church, football, baseball games and such.
    Profile cost me 25$ The little one cost me 10$ I could have shaved with either of them out of the box, they are that sharp.

image-1805512672.jpg

16. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

I actually carry 3 knives as my edc. Clipped to my right front pocket is a Spyderco Tenacious, clipped to the left front is a Cold Steel Medium tanto, and also in the right front is a small 2 or 3 blade Case. I have numerous other knives but the Spyderco and Cold Steel have been the ones I regularly carry and have always served me well. If I'm going hunting or camping I will put a Buck 119 or a SOG Seal Pup on my belt.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

My favorite knock-around knife (woods use) is an Opinel (Hope-in hell) folder.

OpinelKnife.jpg

And they make one for everyone's need.

1260696723_18689.jpg

My go-to knife is a Kershaw, Ken Onion designed, Shallot model 1840ST. All SS knife and made in the good ol USA!

Got it NIB on the bay for $26+ship ~$30 total but I shopped for two weeks looking for the right auction.

It is a one hand, assisted open knife. Fit and finish is +1 Kershaw quality.

1KO1.jpg

1KO3.jpg

1KO2.jpg

18. mdauben

mdauben New Member

If you are looking for an inexpensive outdoor knife you simply can't beat a Mora in carbon steel. The utility and functionality of a Mora knife far outweigh their meager price.

If you're willing to spend a bit more money one of my first choices would probably be a ESEE brand knife. They are available in lengths from a bit under 3 inches to over 6 inches and are high quality, durable knives.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have looked at the Opinel knives often, but have never known anyone who actually owned one. I am gald to hear they serve well; one may be in my future.

When my daughter was in Germany she picke me up a nice, traditional knife, a Hartkopf Snakewood single blade knife that I used until I found out what she paid for it. I am a pocket knife fool, I have a small drawer full of them. Some are novely knives with no useful function that I bought because I thought they were interesting.

I use a knife ten times a day (at least) and on the rare day that I leave mine in yesterday's pants pocket, I will buy one. I can't stand not having one in my pocket.

I went through different phases with the knives; for a while I bought a lot of switchblades to work with because of the ability to work one handed with them. I found that even the very pricey switch blades do not last long enough to be a good work knife. The spring assist, thumb knives work well for me.

My current work knife is the Kershaw 1550ST, similar to the one described above.

An outstanding choice for a budget, fixed blade knife, working knife, is a knife used by insulation workers. A Klenk #KDDK would be a hell of a good survival knife. It has a decent hardwood handle, one side of the blade is full, finely serrated, the other side is a normal blade. The are purchased scary sharp, hold an edge well and cost under $20.00.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  20. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I carry a lock blade for convenience and it works, but for me there is no substitution for a fixed blade. There's nothing like the solid feel of a fixed blade even for a small blade. :)