A good Fillet knife ?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by MobileMarine, Oct 30, 2011.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Ok , I have had it . Im ready to bite the blade and buy a good dang fillet knife .
    I use it mostly on pork and in the house so rugged is not a must , just somthing that will shave the hair off a flea and also survive some abuse . I know the key is also a good sharpener but you got to have a good blade first .

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

They sell a pretty decent one in WalMart. I wanna say Rapala brand and some finnish designer. It's cheap, It's ugly, but mine has served me well. I use it one the creek bank or in the kitchen.

3. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Yeah,I have a Rapala here and I also have a Rada,both are cheap good knives.I did my kids' Jack-o lanterns with one of them this year,don't remember which one,but they did a great job.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

About a year ago Francisco, a well reknowned knife enthusiast here at the time, recommended a set of tests with a rather cheap, but really reliable knife called a Mora.

We did a few tests and this Swedish Carbon Steel really did well in several tests. Several of them were sent around the forum and members put them to some individual tests.

The knife was like $10 from the importer and it was easy to resharpen.

The edge wasn't fantastic in edge retention, but it sliced like a razor.

You might want to give them a look as they are inexpensive but are really useful.

Amazon.com: New Swedish Mil. Mora Knife: Sports & Outdoors

JD

5. fmj

fmj Active Member

Yep yep...i have 2 rapalas one 4 or 5 inch and the other is the long one. They hold an edge and are very flexible. I also have the 8" american angler blade, it has a bit more "backbone" not quite as flexible as the rapalas but holds a good edge.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I've got a Wusthof.

[​IMG]

The blade is overly flexible/thin but it will take the skin off a tomato!

7. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

8. JLM

JLM New Member

I would personally recommend a Grohmann Fillet knife. I have had mine for 3 years now and it`s still sharp as hell. I know a few other people that use Grohmann and they swear by them. Grohmann`s worth looking into they make them 5,6,7 and 8 inch. my 2cent.

9. Poink88

Poink88 New Member